Re: New HDSP series Windows driver generation - public beta - Update

Matthias,

since upgrading to the new beta driver, I experience a symptom which never was there before.

Occasionally when starting up my system (3 x HDSPe / Multiface II on Windows 7 64bit / Cubase 6.,0.1 64bit), after opening Cubase, I start playing back some tracks in Cubase and I have no audfible output through the rme hardware.

Then I open the rme mixer, and just by opening it, sound comes back.

This happens only occasionally, not on every system start. If more details are needed, let me know I am willin gto play with it.

regards, Mikael

2 DAWs, each C 7/64, W7/64, Dell Prec. T5500 (2 x X5690), 2 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II / Octamic II

Does your RME mixer start with Windows? Mine seems to, but when I click on it it disappears and I have to launch a shortcut to the hdspmix executable. This only happens after a reboot.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Just to make this clear: this is a normal installation where the mixer is autoloaded into the notification area, and you just click on that symbol one time then sound comes back?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Actually, now that you ask about it... something was funny when I installed the beta drivers. I did not find the autoloaded mixer symbol in the notification area as I used to in the past. So, as a replacement, I created myself an icon in the task bar and now I start the mixer by clicking there.

2 DAWs, each C 7/64, W7/64, Dell Prec. T5500 (2 x X5690), 2 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II / Octamic II

That means your installation is flawed and this effect might be caused by that. Or you overlooked that the icons are there but hidden (default in W7). Click on the arrow to see them all. Also check via Task Manager if TM had been loaded into memory after boot, means it is already running.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just rebooted (I rarerly do) to confirm the behavior of hdspmix with these drivers on my system:

1. I reboot W7-64.
2. hdspmix.exe is not loaded in the taskbar and does not appear in Task Manager.
3. I launch it from a shortcut I created.
4. It works normally, appears in Task Manager,  and stays in the taskbar until the next reboot.

How can I correct this behavior? The beta driver was installed the way all HDSP drivers have been installed in the past.

Hello,
I'm having the exact same issue as undertone in post #106. I also have Win7 64bit. HDSP32.exe and HDSPmix.exe do not show in the tray unless I launch them each time after logging out or rebooting. I have the latest version 3.085. I would try the beta driver, but I don't see where to download it from.

Just found the link to download the beta. Will try and post back if it shows in the tray or not.

Still not loading in tray even after installing beta version 3.21

110 (edited by clerks 2011-04-22 07:23:35)

Hello,
I use the driver 3.085  and now the 3.21 driver on win7 64 sp1 (MB Asus P6X58D premium) and i didn't have any issue with the loading tray, strange... I don't have any anti virus or firwall, my DAW is not connected on the net, only few minutes sometimes just for update.

Before i had installed the 3.085 driver, it was the fireface UC driver which was installed before on my system. I desintalled the fireface uc driver before installing the raydat 3.085 driver. I don't know if it's important.

Actually the only trouble i have is with sequencer, (reaper 3.75, alphav4.xx, samplitude pro 11.2) when i open or close mixing view i have a sound interrupt (the time it need to open or close the view), not sure it come from the driver. Nothing else, the multi client features with 3.21 work very good here...

My Raydat is connected to a Zed R16 board, and fireface uc two. My main windows ouput sound goes out trough my fireFace ( the analogue output of my fireface goes in stereo intput on my board, in 44 Khz), and all my Asio input from my Zed board are always in 48Khz. I could have reaper (or samplitude ) open project in 48Khz and i could listen my render with winamp or windows media player in 44khz at the same time (very handy).

The 5.1/7.1 channel swapping problem can be solved in direct show players by using the auto-loading presets feature found in ffdshow audio processor.

Details:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 860#p54860

Totalmix and Settings are just EXE files which are started via the registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run".

You can either check that key or create a shortcut in the "Startup" folder (Autostart in German) of the Start menu -> All Programs.

In my case, on a system restart, the registry values are there, both execs start, but the mixer starts but then shuts down and must be relaunched manually. After manual relaunch, it works normally and stays visible in its normal taskbar location. This behavior is predictable and repeatable, and none of the previous versions behaved this way.

I had something similar with the corresponding FF 400 files on Vista once. Usually they would not vanish right after starting though, but some time thereafter (minutes usually). Like in your case manually restarting solved the issue.

My suspicion would be some conflict with other software/DLLs?! Use MSCONFIG to turn off the registry start commands (can be turned back on again later) and instead create shortcuts in the Startup folder. This will make these files start later during bootup (and possibly after the moment when the conflict happens). Does that help?

Hi,

with my Madiface the driver works fine.

One suggestion for a TM Feature that would help to establish a Talkback solution.

TM talkback function only works with an input signal (only an input signal is selectable in the Prefs). But the Madiface doesn´t have an MIC IN physically (and normally the micstasies are placed in the recording roum not in the studio). If TM would accept a playback signal as Talkback IN that would give the chance to use the laptop internal soundcard (Laptop Internal MIC or a TB Mic as MIC IN of the laptop soundcard) as source for a Talkback Mic.  Voilà!! That would help building up a professional Talkback with a laptop.

Maybe it´s worth of consideration!

Peter

(Lenovo Thinkpad, MadiFace, W7 32)

Hi Peter, try this solution.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10553

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi

As I wrote earlier, the new "automatic interleaved feature" only works if ADAT1+2 is the default audio device in Windows*.
It would be desirable** to have this functionality even when ADAT1+2 is not system default (but, obviously ADAT1+2 has to be chosen as playback device in the Software inquestion).
What is RME's position on this?

(HDSP9632, Win7x64)

*With the old (3.85) driver it was possible to have multichannel playback without having ADAT1+2 as system default (despite of what it says in the manual) through the interleaved option.

**From the manual:
"Setting the card to be used as system playback device is against common sense, as
professional cards are not specialized to play back system sounds, and shouldn't be disturbed
by system events."

Hi Carsten,

I noticed a phenomenon with the beta driver which wasn't there before.

When I open digicheck while I am recoridng recording & play back in Cubase, I get nasty crackles for a second or two until Digicheck has opened.

I didn't have this with the old driver version. There I was able to open Digicheck with no audible side effects, which I liked.

Regards, Mikael

I have never seen a system where starting DIGICheck would not interrupt the audio stream at least for a click. The reason is that DC jumps onto the already running ASIO driver and that has unavoidable side effects. But I will check again for the 'nasty crackles' as I did not notice that with 5.21.

You use what level meter, in ASIO or Hardware level mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried to reproduce, but now everything is quiet. Seemed to have been a one time incident (but it was rather disturbing). The meter was set to ASIO level.

Regards, Mikael

Matthias,

when I start the host computer with the HSDPe cards, as soon as the rme hardware initializes, I have a short crack through all attached speakers. This happens consistently at each system startup.

This is with the beta drivers.

Would be great if this can be avoided somehow.

Regards, Mikael

1. @undertone (#106), @Sterling (#109):
Same problem here after each installaton of the RME driver. Seems to be associated with the Windows 7 user administration.
my solution:
- find the EXE file (i.e: \Windows\System32\hdsp32.exe)
- start it with a double click
- deactivate the checkbox "beim Start immer nachfragen" ("always ask on start" or similar).
On the next Windows reboot hdsp32 will start automatically (same for hdspmix.exe).

2. @RME support: kein großes Ding, aber schade, weil es zwischenzeitlich schon mal ging:
"- Correct installation of the Settings dialog under Win 64 (solves crash when called from Cubase)"
crashed bei mir mit aktueller Treiberversion 3.21 wieder (HDSP 9632, Windows 7/64Bit, Cubase 6.02/32Bit).

Stefan

Die unter W7-64 von Cubase gesuchte hdsp32.exe befindet sich auch nicht in \Windows\System32\, sondern in Windows\SysWOW64. Da haben Sie die falsche zum Starten 'aktiviert', was den alten Fehler erzeugt.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Die unter W7-64 von Cubase gesuchte hdsp32.exe befindet sich auch nicht in \Windows\System32\, sondern in Windows\SysWOW64. Da haben Sie die falsche zum Starten 'aktiviert', was den alten Fehler erzeugt.

uuups, mein Fehler, danke!

Version 3.24 has now been released on the website. It includes improvements when using the TCO. If you do please also note the accompanying firmware updates for the HDSPe cards.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Setting WDM samplerate from DSP Settings dialog still planned for Windows XP? Was working nice in 3.085 (active DDS) ...

@hartls: when I double click on hdspmix32.exe, it just starts. My UAC is disabled so I don't get that message.

@RME: With 3.085 nothing has changed with regards to the two issues that still occur on my system:

1. hdspmix32.exe still doesn't start with the system. It appears in the taskbar on boot but disappears the moment the mouse rolls over it.
2. When first instantiating system wdm with WMP and then instantiating an ASIO host, the ASIO host is silent. Multichannel only works in the other order, and then they both are heard simultaneously on the same channels.

Thanks.

Hi,

i just tried the new driver today and i cannot play my current project with the same settings (256 samples Buffer), i have to put (at least) 1024 samples...

So i'm back to the 3.085 version which runs very fine but i would love tu use the new features!

My config: Intel P67 motherboard/i7 2600k/RME HDSPe Raydat (firmware revision 12)/Win7 32bits/Cubase 6/

Cheers

Try resetting VST devices in Cubase.
What happens at lower settings?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel,

resetting the VST device did the trick!

Cheers

Glad to hear that...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

With 3.24, on my PCI based system. ASIO channel sharing no longer seemed to work. I went back to the previous 3.21 Beta which seems to work well enough. I'll try again when I have more time.

There's no firmware update needed for regular HDSP PCI cards for this driver?

Undertone, what isn't working? Is your forum mail address valid?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

With 3.24, I opened two ASIO hosts and a Direct Music one but I could only hear the first one I opened. With 3.21 they all shared the same channels without issues. But honestly, I should test it again to make sure, and I will as soon as I have some time (probably this weekend). I may have been hasty; sorry...

And yes my forum mail address is valid.

Thanks.