1 (edited by ignaceland 2014-09-12 22:25:36)

Topic: Analysing a FLAC cd at 96khz

Hi! I just happened to be playing a FLAC encoded CD (44.1 khz, 16bit) in foobar2000, I had my UCX sample rate set to 96khz and opened Digicheck Totalizer.
I found strange that in the analyzer there appeared a lot going over 22050 khz and wanted to ask, is this normal? Why does it happens?
I thought it can be some decoding thing when being played at a higher sample rate.
But it makes me wonder what is that doing there and where did it came from, hehe.

http://www.atmittens.com/96.png
Thanks!

Ignacio

Re: Analysing a FLAC cd at 96khz

What filters used for the analyzer? Anything below BIQ will have crosstalk into other bands.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

it was set as 30-band BIQ, tried other ones and the result is even more prominent.

What's the point of anaylyzing a 44k file with the UC running @ 96? What you are seeing might simply be an effect of Windows' internal sample rate conversion (assuming the file plays back at the correct pitch and speed).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

No point at all, I was working at 96khz, stopped to listen to some music in foobar2000 and watched DIGICheck.

What I saw made me ask this question here and get doubts to what I've been seeing up there on some 96khz tracked material (where DIGICheck displays a kind of natural harmonic decay from 16khz to 30khz+), where I thought I had tracked cymbals and ac. guitar's very high harmonics smile, but this made me wonder about the accuracy in the upper range.

Thanks for the info!