Topic: TotalMix FX 1.10 preview now available for download

The next version of TotalMix FX, 1.10, which is supposed to be released at Musikmesse, is now available as beta (preview) for public testing.

These are the news:

- Mirror function for outputs

- Copy function for input and playback channels

- Copy function for input/output FX

- Added right mouse button context menu to the Matrix channel labels

- New option Hide Control Strip in Window menu

- All faders of a fader group which include the Main output now follow the ’Do not load volume/balance’ option

- Added Mackie remote Extender support

- Channel names edit for Control Room and Channel Layout dialog

- Choice of None for Main Out

- Support for the Babyface Pro

Here are the details.

Mirror function for outputs

Finally! Whatever output signal, you can now easily have the same signal on any other output. Right click on an output, select ‘Copy / Mirror <channel name>’, right click another output, select <Mirror of <channel name> - that’s it. As often as you like (read: have channels).

Under the hood we use synchronized submixes, so all mirrored outputs get the exact same submix setup, and will follow any change done in the mix simultaneously. This is easy to see by all mirrored outputs getting highlighted at the same time, and the input/playback routing menu, where all those routing destinations are marked at the same time. Of course the Matrix shows this technique as well, in every detail.

The beauty of this ‘synchronized submix’ concept is that the output settings themselves, fader, gain, EQ, Dynamics, stay fully individual! You can also just remove the mirror function and continue working on the submix, now no longer coupled to the original output’s submix.

The former workarounds – abuse Cue to get a doubled output, and set up the exact same submix but miss all the changes thereafter – are gone. And yes, even the oldest RME system (as long as it is supported by TotalMix FX) can now take advantage of this new, useful feature!

Question: can I now mirror Mains to a third output where I activate the LFE EQ preset and connect a subwoofer? Answer: yes. After linking the faders Main and Sub as fader group it works perfectly. As long as you don’t use Speaker B, Talkback or Ext In….the subwoofer channel is outside the Control Room Section and therefore not controlled (muted) as necessary. But don’t worry, the Multichannel Control Room is the next step to finalize this kind of operation.

Copy function for input and playback channels

A feature from the old TotalMix, in fact the only one not found in TotalMix FX. Missing requests kept us from adding it, but now that it is fully included you will wonder how you could live without it before.

The function is as simple as can be. Copy Input copies one input or playback channel’s current routing into any number of outputs, and allows to set all these routing/mix settings to a different input or playback channel. Example: you set up a guitar with EQ, and route it with different levels to several outputs. Now there’s another guitar that requires the absolutely same routings and levels. Instead of manually checking all routings and applying them to the new input simply right click on the guitar input channel, select ‘Copy Input <channel name>, head over to the new guitar input channel, right click and select ‘Paste Input Mix <channel name> – done!

This enables totally new applications. For example when an input has changed to a different one, and rerouting at the source is complicated or tedious, simply copy the channel over to the new one.

Copy function for Input/Output FX

Oh wait, what about the EQ? Yes, there is now a quick way to copy/paste the complete channel state, including EQ, FX Send and Dynamics. Simply right click again on the second guitar channel and select ‘Paste Input FX <channel name>.

This process was split into two actions to allow to only copy the whole FX stuff, like it is very often required in the output channels. Example: to copy the Main’s output EQ to Speaker B simply select Copy Main and paste FX onto Speaker B – there you go!

We added all the Copy stuff for Playback channels as well, but there are no FX, obviously.

Added right mouse button context menu to the Matrix channel labels

All the above features are found in the right click menus on all three rows of the mixer view. Users who prefer to work in the Matrix view will be pleased to hear that the Matrix got the right mouse click menu too, on inputs, playback and output labels. The highlighting of the labels has been improved, and mirrored outputs are highlighted simultaneously, like in the mixer view. Although you cannot see the FX settings in the Matrix, you can still copy and paste them there as well. We thought whatever, give them everything…

Hide Control Strip
In the top menu, Windows, the new option Hide Control Strip does exactly that, in both views, to optimize screen space usage.

All faders of a fader group which include the Main output now follow the ’Do not load Main volume/balance’ option

When changing between snapshots users often don’t want the current listening volume to change. This can be achieved by activating the option ‘Do not load Main volume/balance’ from the Preferences dialog. In multichannel setups, where a fader group is used to control the levels of Main and several other channels outside the Control Room Section, this option affects only the Main output, causing immediate mismatch and failure when changing the snapshot. In version 1.10, all faders of a group that includes Main now no longer load volume/balance when this option is active.

Added Mackie remote Extender support

In the Settings dialog (F3), tab MIDI, the new entry ‘Extender to…’ allows to add an extender to your existing Mackie remote. The numbering is quite flexible, so it is possible to put the extender left or right of the main remote, and have the same arrangement in TotalMix. This new feature also enables to build fader blocks for other Mackie compatible remotes. You can have multiple remotes synced as one big fader block, and move the whole block from one button.

Channel names edit for Control Room and Channel Layout dialog

The names of the channels in the Control Room section (Main, Phones x) can now be edited/changed by the user. We hesitated to enable this feature for a long time. TM FX can be complicated for beginners as well as advanced users. The manual refers to Main and Phones, and the Assign dialog will continue to use these names. So it is important to have these channels always with that name to not cause total confusion. On the other hand we understand that advanced users want to label their Phones mixes with better matching names (artist, location…).

Our solution is to disable the double click on the channel name in the Control Room section. Those channels can only be renamed in the Channel Layout dialog by a double click in the second column, Name (User), which now allows to edit the name. Enter jumps to the line below, so editing all names is quickly done.

Choice of None for Main Out

In the Assign dialog the top entry is now ‘None’. With Phones also set to None the Control Room is empty, all hardware outputs stay in the left side. This feature has been demanded from users who use MADI cards and are not interested in any master volume or Control Room functionality.

Unfortunately (similar to the complete list of outputs for Main/Phones) this new feature requires a firmware update for all devices with dedicated DSP. It works with all non-FX units (Multiface, 9632 etc), up to the HDSPe MADI, as well as the Babyface. The HDSPe MADI FX can use it also, being the only exception to this rule.

As you can guess there have been heavy changes on the code, so we might not have caught all the bugs or unwanted behaviors. Please use TotalMix FX and report anything you find, or just want to comment on, in this thread.

Download:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … in_112.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … ac_112.zip

And don't forget: playing with these new features is real fun, because a simple click on Undo (or multiple) will get you back to where you started!

Thanks!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix FX 1.10 preview now available for download

have you completely given up on global OSC control ?

3 (edited by Raphie 2015-03-28 17:12:10)

Thnx Matthias, just tested the extender report, but it doesn't stack AVID artists, still i can get only 1 unit to work, or the 2nd unit mirror the first. Not sure if this is within your power to resolve. 1 unit works fine for input row. When appointing the 2nd unit as an extender of the first it still just mirrors the first. The rest of the new options are great! Really appreciate and value the ongoing development.

www.analoguemastering.com

Choice of None for Main Out

In the Assign dialog the top entry is now ‘None’. With Phones also set to None the Control Room is empty, all hardware outputs stay in the left side.

the control room panel still shows (can be minimized though, but not completely hidden; HDSP Digiface)

Can it be hidden together with the tool panel hide option, when no control room feature is used?

Added link to Mac version to first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Before downloading and trying it out, does this have the Surround Control Room section?

ProTools 11.2.2HD on Windows & Mac, FireFace802 & ARC, Artist Control, Genelec Monitoring.

7 (edited by Eric Bradley 2015-04-03 14:17:11)

8dB.co.uk wrote:

Before downloading and trying it out, does this have the Surround Control Room section?

Not yet.

MC wrote:

…the subwoofer channel is outside the Control Room Section and therefore not controlled (muted) as necessary. But don’t worry, the Multichannel Control Room is the next step to finalize this kind of operation.

-------------------------------------------------------

MC wrote:

- All faders of a fader group which include the Main output now follow the ’Do not load volume/balance’ option

This is so beautiful.
Now I can go back and forward between sub- and no sub-listening with just one click.

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

This is freakin' amazing! Exactly what I've been wanting since I started using TotalmixFX! PERFECT when you get requests from several cameramen and/or have to record a live event directly to 2-track. Beta testing commencing!!

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

Updated first post download link with Windows beta 3.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by mattrixx 2015-04-14 16:37:27)

Eric Bradley wrote:
8dB.co.uk wrote:

Not yet.

MC wrote:

…the subwoofer channel is outside the Control Room Section and therefore not controlled (muted) as necessary. But don’t worry, the Multichannel Control Room is the next step to finalize this kind of operation.

-------------------------------------------------------

MC wrote:

This is so beautiful.
Now I can go back and forward between sub- and no sub-listening with just one click.

Unfortunately the "Do not load volume/balance" option has become a little troublesome.. I'm not sure why. Perhaps 10.10.3? This has stop being reliable for me. (UFX Snapshots and fader groups)

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Could you describe what the problem is?
Are the channels linked in all snapshots?

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

The only way to show what I'm seeing is with pics.. (I hope this works)

This is Preset 01
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s172/sh/e33d61f4-a512-4060-90b8-8c799d7d9619/0969de13408bb9ede42e5e463c05cdc7/deep/0/Screen-Shot-2015-04-15-at-1.31.54-am.pngClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

then..flick to 2 with the ARC
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s172/sh/0977c485-38d9-4902-a8ea-c30b44da392d/ba75a142a3c374c03255ab0ba7e483e0/deep/0/Screen-Shot-2015-04-15-at-1.32.02-am.pngClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

then back to 1
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s172/sh/ae6cb1fc-85a2-4d3b-8945-4a78014ce1a0/86df068874e18ace8d526b2966e2f004/deep/0/Screen-Shot-2015-04-15-at-1.32.10-am.pngClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

----------------
----------------

Could this be related to your use of Speaker B?
What happens if you use that speaker pair outside of the Control Room?

MC wrote:

Question: can I now mirror Mains to a third output where I activate the LFE EQ preset and connect a subwoofer? Answer: yes. After linking the faders Main and Sub as fader group it works perfectly. As long as you don’t use Speaker B, Talkback or Ext In.

RME Fireface UFX

Mmm, yeah, I suspect it does have something to do with that Eric.  Will check it out and report back. Cheers

----------------
----------------

Not necessarily. Take the same pics again but with the 'Names' option on...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok.. I'll see if I get this right Matthias...

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s172/sh/4086af11-6476-4278-bd6c-8ba4064a522b/c550f541d190675b15b54cbbf5731786/deep/0/RME-TotalMix-FX--Fireface-UFX-(23107977)---44.1k.pngClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s172/sh/97d148a6-f4c1-46b9-9a08-0cc4a7a1aec9/f0bc0a42ce0b0cb673cc554f69e76bfd/deep/0/RME-TotalMix-FX--Fireface-UFX-(23107977)---44.1k.pngClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

3. ..back to the first snapshot....
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s172/sh/839bc0dc-4387-494b-8f70-0be19a3c6562/7cf62a033db7de9ae54a806f1c901811/deep/0/RME-TotalMix-FX--Fireface-UFX-(23107977)---44.1k.pngClick for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

----------------
----------------

Thanks. I'll try to reproduce it. The obvious as unusual special thing here is that you change the Main channel assignment.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I can't. Please send me that specific workspace including these snapshots.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Updated first post with TotalMix FX v 1.10b4, Mac and Win. b4 fixes some bugs, like crashing when switching between mono/stereo with the MADIface, and crashing when having changed a channel name and then performing Reset Channel Names.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC, splitting stereo,to mono keeps defaulting to L and R rather than 2 centered channels, regardless of preference? Can you confirm?

I can't. Which channel and which hardware?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I had it on all channels, madifx
I did delete all the previous tmfx preferences in the local roaming folder and reconfigured everything. Bur when splitting stereochannel even after setting the preference they still go L & R

Can you please provide screenshots, before/after?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Solved it by resetting the mixer via the menu, now all are and remain centered

Added the link to Mac USB driver 2.09, which includes TotalMix 1.10, to the first post. This is a release candidate just waiting for the Windows version to get on our website.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_209.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I somehow missed this when it first came out.  Looks fantastic! Thanks for the great updates.  The "mirror" feature will make my work much easier. 

Echoing Ebulb's question above - is OSC control on the "to do" list?

wah ! seems great ! hum, i am looking for this simple feature for long, so : are workspace's NAMES within the TMFX window ?

Working well so far, except I don't see the option to assign Mains to "none."  Using 1.10 beta 4 on Windows. I updated the firmware.

All is working great here ! (Testing on OS X 10.10.3 with Babyface and Fireface 802)
The new features are totally amazing and very powerful !
Congrats !

Bertrand Allaume

neirbod wrote:

Working well so far, except I don't see the option to assign Mains to "none."  Using 1.10 beta 4 on Windows. I updated the firmware.

The point in my text was that a firmware update is not yet available.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As usual, an excellent update.

Some feedback on Mackie Control Extender functionality.

using; x1 Icon Qcon pro & x1 Qcon Extender  < just another Mackie Control emulator over USB.
Imac running mountain lion, RME FFUFX with latest firmware.

- no LCD data being transmitted to the Extender (LCD data going to Qcon Pro only). I have toggled the checkbox under the extender setup menu...still no love

- Extender will not follow the main unit when switching bank to the playback and/or outputs rows (this is done using up/down arrows on the main unit). The main unit will switch to next row but extender remains on the original row.
(left and right channel bank arrows appear to work correctly)

I suspect this may be a limitation of Mackie Control?

Many thanks,

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.
FF UFX / Macbook 2008 2.4GHz/6GB RAM

This works as expected if set up correctly with a MCU and Extender. Did you activate 'Options/Submix linked to MIDI control' for the extender?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

33 (edited by Mr Evenge 2015-05-19 07:30:09)

MC wrote:

Tthis works as expected if set up correctly with a MCU and Extender. Did you activate 'Options/Submix linked to MIDI control' for the extender?

Hi M,
thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have 'Submix linked to MIDI control' checked for both '1' and '2'. This is the first thing I thought of. Still no love.
Unfortunately I don't have the authentic Mackie MCU + extender to test.

More info that may provide the explanation for banking problem;
the Qcon Pro and it's Extender operate over two separate CC USB drivers... Thus, in Totalmix under 'MIDI settings' menu the subsequent MIDI IN/OUT ports are set to;
1.'QCon Pro port in/out' (for MIDI 1 in/out)
2. 'Qcon EXT port in/out' (for MIDI 2 in/out)

I believe the MCU uses only one 'umbrella' driver for the MCU and any subsequent extender?

Some more helpful info?;
Lets say I start over and setup the Qcon Pro and the Qcon Extender from scratch under 'MIDI settings' and subsequently check 'enable MIDI control', Only the Qcon Pro jumps into action and I see only the first 8 input channels in TM with the brown coloured MIDI control signature. If I then hit the right arrow (bank 8 channels to the right) on the Qcon Pro, the extender jumps into action and the first 16 input channels show the MIDI control signature. still no LCD data on extender.

I'll keep on experimenting but let me know if you have any more suggestions...

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.
FF UFX / Macbook 2008 2.4GHz/6GB RAM

Changed first post to have the link to the Windows release version 1.11 and Mac release version 1.10.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Changed first post to have the download links for TotalMix FX 1.12. This versions fixes a problem in the new extender support.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

YES YES YES 1.12 the Avid Artist works, 2 units extended flawlessly !!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH MC, if you were a girl, I would send you flowers wink

We have uploaded all drivers updated with TotalMix FX 1.12 now to the website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello
Unfortunately, there's still not MIDI automation with a DAW, via Totalmix or directly on my FF UCX.
Regards.
Philippe

hi.
I installed the last version of   RME driver.....but   FX not activated in my Totalmix FX  in my Interface,
I have  FireFace  UC.
this interface does not have  FX monitoring  yet?

No DSP chip, no FX...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

it has DSP.
so what is the DSP doing in the interface?  its ridiculous.

why this product dont have  DSP for FX ?!

its not fair.

u can not write a  Firmware for it that has FX ?

The UC is our first (and therefore oldest) USB interface, it is from 2009. The FPGA chip on this unit that runs Totalmix is not powerful enough to handle any effects. No firmware can change that, sorry.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Celtine wrote:

Unfortunately, there's still not MIDI automation with a DAW, via Totalmix or directly on my FF UCX.
Regards.
Philippe

I beg to differ here, as I have been controlling a UFX thru TotalMix MIDI control, -from my DAW, for years. This is certainly MIDI automation from a DAW. And it has been possible with TotalMix for some time. It mostly depends on your DAW and MIDI implementation, routing, etc.  So far, for me, the only limitations are inherent in some of the MCP control set (such as the programming for the pan control), and perhaps the few controls not mapped to MIDI.

But, perhaps you intended to suggest a lack of VST or other DAW plugin functionality to provide automation? That of course is different than basic MIDI automation, or control programming.  -Jn-

Dear Team
I have a question regards Total mix FX update, still using a old version of TotalMix with a fireface 800 on Mac,
which i named all my channels,  will the update to TotalMix FX 3.28 keep all my Channelnames?

Anyone knows?
Thanx

TotalMix and TotalMix FX are not compatible. You will have to set up everything manually. But that is not so complicated:

- Make a list of all the names and apply them first to TM FX, save that as Snapshot and Workspace. This way you have to edit the names only one time. Which is also very quick and easy thanks to the new Channel layout dialog

- Make screenshots of the Matrix view of all your Presets or Workspaces in TM. Then set them up in TM FX identically and store them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME