Topic: Raspberry pi + RME ?

Could be interesting as a low-cost  way to add HDMI display to a Fireface UFX?

Low-cost(hardware) way to add usb recording /playback + HDMI display to a Babyface / Fireface UC.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

http://www.raspberrypi.org/pcb.jpg

Does it have potential?

Re: Raspberry pi + RME ?

I don't see how that should or would work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, Raspberry could be a very handy way to use my Babyface for playback without need to run a computer/laptop. My only concern is will there be a driver for Babyface for Windows 10 IoT Core http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 … pc-run-it/ which is a subset of Windows 10?

The RPi doesn't really run Windows 10. There's no gui, no file manager, nothing for the user.

Windows 10 on the RPi is just a compatibility layer that enables you to write programs (.net, C#...) on a Windows 10 PC and transfer those to run on a RPi. And some day, it might even run some Android or iOS apps.

The USB on the RPi is too weak to run multiple channels simultaneously at higher resolutions. 2 in, 2 out will work beautifully at 16/44.1. 8/8 at 48 KHz, 24 bit is already far too much.

It's not a bandwidth thing, but a USB/CPU thing. The RPi has a hefty GPU, but a rather tiny CPU. When it needs to do some heavy lifting (mpeg compression, fi), this task gets offloaded to the GPU. The limit here is that GPU code isn't open sourced, or even documented. Off course, there is a stack of docs, but you need to sign an nda with Broadcomm first. And even if you did, there's only about five people on this planet that know how to code for that GPU.

It's gotten a little better with the Pi 2, since this is a quadcore. Sadly, for audio over USB, you can only use one core. That said, I'll be running test again some day to see if there is enough improvement to change my mind ;-)

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

It's gotten a little better with the Pi 2, since this is a quadcore. Sadly, for audio over USB, you can only use one core. That said, I'll be running test again some day to see if there is enough improvement to change my mind ;-)

i read over at the behringer forum someone reporting they have recorded multi channel audio with RPi2 and the X series digital mixers which are class compliant USB interfaces.. if RPi2 has enough power to multitrack at 24/48 and can be setup to boot linux straight into a DAW program it could be a great little box to plug into a CC audio interface into and hit record.. not sure how feasable that would be to get setup but such a thing would be a cool multitrack recorder for any CC audio device!!!

if there was anyway of accessing the Pi interface from a web browser on a tablet also that would be awesome no need for HDMI output, keyboard/mouse or pi touch screens etc..

It won't work. There's no DAW that runs reasonably well and everything coming in must go out over the same USB connection.

I've put many hours in, albeit with a Pi 1, and it just won't work with multiple channels, 24 bit and a reasonable latency.

Every part of that works. I could play 8 channels, but not record. I could record 4 channels, but not at 24 bit, while playing 2 channels. And if you wanted a latency that enabled live use, you could only do 2 channels in OR out. I'm sure with some optimizing, you could do better, but it still leaves no CPU for the DAW.

You could develop a DosBox app or something alike and make a recording device. But it wouldn't even come close to a DAW, as in "no plugins, no editing, no..."

And if you need a DAW controlled from an ipad or any browser, look at reaper. It has a built in webserver, you only need to make your own html layout and that's quite easy. Works very well, but needs a decent Intel CPU to run on. You could try something like that on one of the Intel SOC's, or even on a budget Windows tablet. That would only be a little more expensive than a Raspberry...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...