1 (edited by MBmusic 2011-12-16 01:19:00)

Topic: TouchOSC with Totalmix/FF UFX

Hi,
I have serious problems in setting up OSC to work with my totalmix/FF. It seems the Totalmix/FF doesn´t understand the CC commands of the OSC. I want to control monitor mixes via my iphone.
Osculator is set up, my Mac gets all the fader movements, I can even see the Midi Output light flashing on the UFX as I move the faders on the Iphone, but in Totalmix nothing is happening.
Has anyone a working preset or some useful information for me?

Thanks a lot!

Re: TouchOSC with Totalmix/FF UFX

OSC doesn't use the Mackie Control protocol, which is what Totalmix is expecting. You'll need to use an app that supports Mackie Control, like V-Control Pro, or another.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

There is new Lemur v3 available for iOS. It would be GREAT if RME would consider OSC support for future Totalmix versions.

Cheers,

b.

https://granurise.com

But there´s a video on youtube where a guy perfectly controls Totalmix with OSC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_PWYj1j_do

I have touchOSC working with most functions in totalmix.
The trick is you need to download Lc Xmu and use it to translate the touchOSC messages into mackie control protocol so that totalmix will respond.

It goes like this; (in short hand)

1. download touchOSC for you iphone/pad. Make sure it and your computer are both connected to a common Wifi network.
2. download the touch OSC editor and learn to design your own template for TM. I found none of the factory standard templates suitable for TM. Note; you will need to create controllers like push buttons/faders that send midi notes/CC rather than the OSC messages. This is pretty straight forward once you know the editor.
3. on mac - create a wireless midi network sesion so that touch OSC will communicate with Lc Xmu. (you need a third party app to do this on PC). You may need to google how to do this, there are several steps.
4. launch Lc Xmu and follow the instructions in its manual for setup with totalmix. When you hit a controller in touchOSC you should see the corresponding note register in Lc Xmu. You can then map this message to a totalmix function, all of which are listed in a drop down menu.
Continue mapping your controller messages to totalmix functions in this manner. It took me almost 2 weeks to fine tune my template as I didnt need all functions of TM etc.
5. go to TM and check the box under settings->enable control protocol. Also, in the totalmix midi I/O fields, you need to specify 'LcXmu(totalmix)' in both input and output.
6. in TM make sure enable midi control is checked.
7. presto. you are in wireless control of TM!

If anybody wants my touchOSC template, just ask and I will post it up on this forum.

I haven't yet been able to map the totalmix control room functions to touchOSC. ie; dim, speakers B, mono etc. These evidently respond to standard midi note on/off messages as outlined in the RME manual. Not sure if totalmix will listen to both Mackie control and standard midi messages through the same midi port... Maybe Matthias can shed some light on this?

good luck.
let me know how you go.

www.opuslocus.com/lcxmu/

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.
FF UFX / Macbook 2008 2.4GHz/6GB RAM

You are using which RME unit with what driver?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you very very much!
Now the faders are moving (somehow)! I´ve tried this with osculator but Lc Xmu is the way to go. If you could post or send me your template, I´d have a good way to start with, as my faders don´t move smartly yet.
Thank s again.

Hi Matthias,
sorry should have been more specific. I am running a UFX with the latest firmware/driver/TM. In fact, since last post I have managed to get the control room functions working over MC protocol via touchOSC. In my case it was a matter of 'read the most up to date manual'. I was taking my info from my physical manual which I believe was printed late 2010. I was searching on the Lc Xmu forum and came accross someone who claimed to have speakers B selection working with the MCU 'flip' button. I dug a little further and found that somewhere in the evolution of TM, MC commands have been assigned to control room functions.

After all this I'm still interested in how to control totalmix with standard control change data. If I assign TM midi input to my midi controller port 'keystion 1' and simply strke the note 'D-3', this should toggle speakers B??? - any other steps in the process?

thanks

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.

to MBmusic,
I'm pleased you got it working. Give me a few more days and I will post a link to my TM template, I just want to tweek it a little more before I go public with it. Stay tuned....

Also I did read somewhere that native OSC support is on Matthias' 'to do list'... This will mean that there will be no need for LC Xmu translations and no need to use midi data, specifically in the programming of your template.

1. Mackie control 'master mute' command toggles TM global mute function. This is fine but I can't find a command specifically for the main output mute. To mute the main output I need to bank accross so that the main output channel is included in the selcted bank of channels. Then I use the corresponding channel x mute.

2. I'm still having trouble getting the TM mute buttons to toggle properly. They work perfectly with a standard OSC 'push button' but I get no visual feedback indicating the state of the mute. However, if I use a 'toggle button' it should indicate the mute state because the button will change colour when it is depressed. However, when I setup a toggle button in touchOSC it only seems to mute the channel in question every second time I strike the button.
My knowledge of midi controllers is very limited. I need to defer to someone my versed than I.

3. pushing a fader on touchOSC screen controls the correspondoing TM fader but pushing a fader with TM does not affect the corresponding OSC fader. It seems that feedback data from TM is not getting past Lc Xmu... Havent yet worked this one out either.

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.

10 (edited by MBmusic 2011-12-29 01:23:40)

Hi Mr Evenge. Great. Thanks.

A bidirectional connection would be great. Especially when working with presets or tweaking from the Mac and the Ipad at the same time, e.g. Monitor Mix (Musician) and/or Master (FOH).
I know, the UFX wasn´t built to replace a mixing console, but wouldnt it be cool if it was working for smaller cub gigs etc? The software and the hardware is superstable and I would love to use the full potential of this unit. Today many people are working with digital consoles and the UFX is kind of able to do that, the only thing missing are knobs and faders, which could be replaced with tablet PCs.

Maybe RME could work out an easier way of controlling TM via remote soft-/hardware, like a TM software for the Ipad and Wifi.
That´d be great.

Mr Evenge wrote:

If anybody wants my touchOSC template, just ask and I will post it up on this forum.

good news...

---
MacBook Pro i7 - 8 GB Ram | RME Babyface | Adam A7x | Cubase 6.x | Snow Leopard 10.6.8

And here we go: Mac version of TM FX including OSC support. Mainly tested and tried with TouchOSC. Simple template included.

!!!! https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … ta2mac.zip !!!!

-----------------
Note: this link is outdated. Current TOSC templates and command lists:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14665
-----------------

Notes:

First copy the configuration file via iTunes or TouchOSC editor to the iPad.

To connect to TouchOSC:

- Start TouchOSC on the iPad (automatically shows its settings page)

- in TotalMix FX fire up Settings (F3). On the new OSC page the iPad should already be shown as 'Remote Control Host'. Under 'Found Remote Services' click on the iPad/TouchOSC entry, then close the dialogbox via OK.

Now perform the same procedure on the iPad side, means within the TouchOSC app (under 'Connections' TotalMix FX is shown as 'Found Hosts'. After selecting it hit the 'TouchOSC' and the 'Done' button.

- Don't forget to 'Enable OSC Control' in TotalMix FX, menu Options.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

How cool is that!!
I really appreciate your customer care. Thank you very much.
I´ll check it and try how it works.

14 (edited by ChordSolo 2012-01-17 17:38:05)

ok all works :-) except "track pan value" (trkpanval)...

my IpodTouch Template

thanks RME...

---
MacBook Pro i7 - 8 GB Ram | RME Babyface | Adam A7x | Cubase 6.x | Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Hi matthias,
Wow this is great! It works really well!!
One question though:
Is it possible to also control the phantom power in the mixer?
This would be great to use in my recording booth whilst setting up recording levels etc.
Can i program this myself in the touchosc editor? Any tips/hints?

Thanks in advance!

Arnoud

16 (edited by pianogineer 2012-01-17 22:30:05)

Wow awesome! Can't wait to try this tonight.

A quick glance at the layout makes it appear as though the OSC support adapts the Mackie Control "mindset" (ie 8 faders that you can bank around to get to each input, etc.).

Is there/will there be any more detailed control support? i.e. the ability to control any fader from any submix at any time? I know there's been talk of at least "hiding" some inputs from midi control (to allow the 8 faders you actually care about to be visible at any one time), so I presume this may extend to OSC whenever it happens... but just curious!

Thanks for all the great new features! This should be fun smile

17 (edited by jan211984 2012-01-18 11:01:01)

I think here is another option besides OSC.

I control my UFX with iPad through Splashtop Streamer, I can use full functions of TotalMix,
but I can not see some channel names on the top of it...
Can RME makes TotalMix fits 1024*768 resolution?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12909714/UFX_TM.PNG

Sorry, this is not possible. We've introduced the 2-row view for lower resolutions.

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

Sorry, this is not possible. We've introduced the 2-row view for lower resolutions.

best regards
Knut

But I can not see the "RECORDER" in 2-row mode?

-Noah

Of course you can. Click on the up arrow on the right to minimize other panels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

I've been trying to get the phantom button to work via OSC.
I looked at the other buttons and decided that the format should be like this:
/channel number/'buttonname'Enable 
So I created a button and used this to try and get it to work.
Alas with no luck. The commands for the button i've tried are:
  - 48VEnable
  - phantomEnable
  - phantompowerEnable

Is this at all possible and if so what should be the command to toggle the phantom power

Thanks in advance!

Arnoud

ChordSolo wrote:

ok all works :-) except "track pan value" (trkpanval)...
thanks RME...

please fix it...

---

Hi,
is it my fault or can it be that the new "OSC" TM cannot open Snapshots of older versions?
The new snapshot has an tmss ending while my older ones don´t. Is it a software problem or am i doing something wrong?

Please help me, I need my older snapshots.

Thanks a lot.

So for anyone interested here are the TouchOSC screenshots from my iPad with the upcoming Windows beta version of TM FX, including phantom power and such.

[img align=L]https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tosc_002.png[/img]

[img align=L]https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tosc_003.png[/img]

[img align=L]https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tosc_004.png[/img]

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Two notes:

- missing level meters. This is a limitation of TouchOSC, and if you want to have it maybe a friendly post in the author's forum makes sense.

- the behavior of the pots - a TouchOSC issue. The way they jump from full left to full right when you cross the invisible border with your finger is not only annoying but dangerous (think of the -30 dB Gain in the Dynamics to jump to +30 dB...). That should be fixed quickly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

- the behavior of the pots - a TouchOSC issue. The way they jump from full left to full right when you cross the invisible border with your finger is not only annoying but dangerous (think of the -30 dB Gain in the Dynamics to jump to +30 dB...). That should be fixed quickly.

This is the biggest reason I find TouchOSC unusable at the moment. Do you have "inside knowledge" that a fix is being worked on for this? In general the behavior of the pots is silly to me... they require a "circular" finger motion, as opposed to allowing horizontal motions, which is how virtually all touch rotors (as well as plugin rotors) seem to work...

We have not been in contact with the author about TouchOSC yet. Too many things to do, but might come later. I (we) agree with your findings. Tell the author what you think, feedback is needed to improve things. :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great to see Phantom power in the screenshots.. can't wait smile

Arnoud

Hi

Very nice feature, thank you!! Can't wait for the complete implementation and why not also with the new Lemur ipad soft.
The only problem I have now is that the TouchOSC template interferes with Logic Pro OSC address. It's possible to change the OSC addresses in TotalMix to use both at the same time?

All the best!

e

Looking forward to this.  Seems like it is finally time for me to buy an iPad.  Thanks RME!

Nice!

Maybe ask the touchOSC developers (or some other iPad app developer available out there)
to make TMFX-like graphics and user interface as well? I just read about the yamaga stagemix app for iPad. And it looks awesome by the way. :-D

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

MC wrote:

Two notes:

- missing level meters. This is a limitation of TouchOSC, and if you want to have it maybe a friendly post in the author's forum makes sense.

Hi,

How many chanels can I control on UCX in CC mode with TouchOSC?

I want to use Ipad and UCX for live gigs. I mean to mix directly on Ipad. It 's possible to use the ADAT input (8 chanels) in this configuration?

Thanks

I don't understand that question as the upper screenshot clearly shows 8 faders plus one master fader for control. As each fader controls one stereo channel that gives...

Edit: Ok, regarding CC mode - there is no OSC in CC mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

34 (edited by Loredan Covaci 2012-01-31 19:48:54)

This is not a good news.

I try to find the most ergonomic solution for mixing in live situation. The  Ipad on my keyboard is a perfect solution and low cost too (no computer between "mixer" and UCX and i have the touchscreen interface). What software on Ipad can provide more features from TotalMix Fx in CC mode (EQ, Reverb, maybe Dynamics)? I sow the LS9 from Yamaha but they have control just for EQ, no reverb or more.

No software can, as the CC mode currently does not include MIDI remote control.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks.

So I must find another solution to control the TMFX of UCX.

I come back with another question.
OSC working only with MAC laptop?
I don't understand exactly the setup for control via ipad with OSC features from TM FX.

I leave in Romania and here is no showroom to test RME. So, I need a correct setup to not spend money for testing.

Thanks for helping.

First of all you need to wait until OSC is officially supported, on both Mac and Win. We are talking pre-release beta at this time. Windows will follow in a few days, I think then it is easy to understand.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is there any chance we may have access to channel settings through OSC? Specifically I was hoping I could switch channels from mono to stereo and vice versa.

Other than that, this has been working perfect.

Thanks!

It's possible to control TM FX with OSC and BCF2000 in the same time?
First for FX part (through  OSC) and second for more precision of volume faders.

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is exciting! Are you guys planning on releasing a TouchOSC template for iphone as well? Your ipad template looks wonderful. Thanks!
Luke

No, someone else will have to do this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Continued here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 244#p68244

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Do you know where I can find a list of OSC commands and the corresponding actions in TMFX? I'm trying to build my own Touch OSC template for iphone but I'm new to the the whole thing and I'm having a little trouble getting all the info from your iPad template.

There is a free editor available from TouchOSC for Win/Mac which makes it possible to review and modify the template (which you most probably use already). The template has all supported commands inside except for "/2/loopback" und "/2/stereo".

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

sparky7135 wrote:

Do you know where I can find a list of OSC commands and the corresponding actions in TMFX?

@MC, I'm looking for the command list...

---

Ok, here is the full list. Please don't expect further support. We do not feel responsible to explain how to use and program OSC. There will never be a manual explaining all this.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/os … talmix.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias, I really appreciate you going above and beyond. I would be happy to send you my iphone template when I'm done with it if that would be a helpful resource...just let me know

Sure. Anyone who wants to share his template can send it, we will check and host it on our server if that is useful for others.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME