Topic: Totalmix Skins with Windows 8

Is it supposed to work?

I can't get it running using the path to AppData\Local\RME TotalMix\bmp_hdsp\

So I am wondering if that's the correct path. At least the driver installer has put the TotalMix preset folder there. And according to the instructions bmp or bmp_hdsp folders have to go where the presets go. Tried several compatibility modes, Administrator's privileges - to no avail...

This is on Windows 8 Pro 64bit with HDSPe Madi. TaskManager states that Autostart is loading the hdspmix.exe from Windows\System32 instead of SysWOW64 - is it supposed to be like this, or is this related at all?

Like to hear of some experiences with this on Windows 8 before I go starting to hack hdspmix.exe, which is certainly not the way I want to go ;-=

Re: Totalmix Skins with Windows 8

Ok, noone, but a bump for devs or support: Is it supposed to work?

That's how it is in Window 7 and it works. Are all the bitmaps in the bmp_hdsp folder?

I'd love to skin totalmix.
I use windows8 64bit.

I've never tried to do this earlier (before w8 install) though and didn't even know it was possible.

It did work just fine in Windows 7 Pro 64.

@ Bebop, yes for sure. I've been using skins since XP up to Windows 7 64. And it doesn't work here on Windows 8 Pro 64. I tried alternative locations, and tried it with the 64bit versions of hdspmix.exe in Windows\sysWOW instead of Windows\system32, I tried administrative rights, tried compatibility modes 7 and XP SP3 - all to no avail.

So, if anyone here or at RME has got it running, it would be nice to know.

As far as I understood this, old TM is no longer feature-supported and TMFX doesn't have skins. Chances are we'll never see this.

BTW I do think it shouldn't be too much of a hazzle to re-implement this path-wise for Windows 8 into old TM again.

Please Daniel, Matthias or Martin, correct me if I am wrong and completly off track here!

I've been using RME stuff since the year 2000 (Multiface, several Fireface400 and 800, AES and Madi cards, Madi converter), I use DC with Totalizer and GR a lot - so I really know what I've got and love the stuff for being robust, well crafted and always being a little ahead of time feature-wise. And while I don't tend to be ungreatful, this one I want to have it back - especially because it was a present ;-))

And ...Windows 8 is a pleasant OS, I will certainly not go back because of this, but instead replace the bitmaps in the exe, which is, as I said, NOT what I want, since this has to be repeated with every update installing.

I don't think Windows 8 is a pleasant OS, and you just prooved that. Nevertheless I will check all this over the weekend. If it's reproducable then we should be able to fix it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I don't think Windows 8 is a pleasant OS, and you just prooved that. Nevertheless I will check all this over the weekend. If it's reproducable then we should be able to fix it.

Thanks a lot for taking the time! And, yes, 'pleasant' wasn't a considerably well chosen word, you are right, from a devs point of view it is most likely not.

Best Regards
Boris

I had no problems to use the alternative skins for both FireWire (bmp) and HDSP (bmp_hdsp). Just restarting TM and there they are. IMHO either the path is wrong or corrupted or the same with the bitmaps. Please check again. When your TM saves and loads its presets it uses that dir, and if that works then the bitmaps must work as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I could have been shortening the path to the solution...

After checking with an unaltered skin from the rme site, I had it working. But none of my own bmp exports did work.

Altering color space to Indexed, RGB and such wouldn't make no difference. Finally, after checking back and forth I found that Gimp's Export function needs to be set to "Do not write color space information" when exporting to bmp, the color space itself doesn't seem to matter, but its reference must NOT be written to file - don't know why that is...

Thank You Matthias for your efforts!

Best Regards
Boris