Re: New FireWire series Windows driver - public beta - update 3

Any timetable for final release?

--
FF400 | WIN7 x64 | PT9.01 | Live 8.2.1 | Adam A7 | UAD-2 | LA-610 MK2 | TLA A2 | etc.

We hope this week.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

First of all : The concept of the new TotalMix seems very nice! Although I haven't tested it yet, love the grouping idea, it was sort of _the_ crucial main thing I've often been missing when doing on-site/field recordings and monitoring with headphones straight from the phones out.

I'm currently trying out the latest public beta drivers (3.044) with the mobile setup I'm running (FF800+Octamic ADAT+Profire 2626 ADAT+Sony VAIO i7 laptop (Ricoh chipset)+Win7 64bit+Sonar 8.5.3. Producer Edition, haven't switched to X1 yet). The setup still seems to produce odd , random dropouts and hangups that require restarting Sonar and sometimes power-cycling the FF800 unit.

At that time I had second-to-latest public drivers and I started having some hangups/dropouts, so upgraded first to the latest final versions on the download page (3.034). That update solved the issue I asked about in another thread considering the random loss of host sync with the same setup (as discussed in http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 979#p51979 ). Other people seem to be having that problem as well and it seems to be a persisting issue around FF800+Sonar+Win7.

The host sync loss problem I had went away with the new public beta driver update (3.044), I now got new problems with Sonar (Producer 8.5.3) which are occasional freezes and glitches during recording. However it's still a huge improvement from the 3.034, but still - heavy projects (recording around 20 tracks simulatenously) will cause hangups with no apparent reason such as disk/cpu problems. I'm using an external Buffalo eSATA double-RAID disk for recording purposes to minimize any lagging due to the hard drive.

Since Cakewalk Sonar is (as far as I know) on the most popular side of multi-track recording DAW's in a PC environment, it would be nice to have I.E. a tutorial on recommended audio settings to use in SONAR to maximize compatilibity and stability with RME hardware, especially with the FW800 series.

On a slightly offtopic note: Why is the buffer size still in the driver setup menu limited to 1024 samples (which isn't that much in milliseconds)? I'd be glad to use bigger latencies if it meant more stability when recording multitrack audio. Latencies higher than 1024 have always been and still are possible with the RME HDSP/RPM series which I use also from time to time, and it really helps alot with heavier projects when considering stability and reducing possible dropouts.

Thanks.

54 (edited by jk 2011-06-09 21:25:42)

At the risk of sounding dumb...
I'm a long time FF800 user (about four years, now) and I've been lurking around this forum very often. So, regarding the new driver, two questions:
- Why would one want to disable Mackie protocol?

- I've been controlling Totalmix with BCR2000 (the rotary controller) and it works kinda ok. The cool thing is you get the same three rows that Totalmix has. The downside is, that visual feedback (the led rings surrounding the encoders) only works with Mackie Control compatible messages. But when using those MIDI commands, Totalmix seems to respond to MIDI command 0-128, whereas the BCR2000 can only send 1-127. This results in faders ranging from -51.7dB - 5.8. Also, with non-mackie control commands, you have the problem that, when touching an encoder, the fader jumps to the value of that encoder, risking high volumes etc. So here's the question regarding the driver: Would it be possible to add the switchable option of having Totalmix faders respond to either 0-128 or 1-127. I've seen this option before in 19" fx units with MIDI control capabilities...

The rest of the driver works fine in my system. Excited about fader groups, though I totally second the color options that were made in an earlier post...

Hi,

I've had no more bluescreens so far since updating to this latest driver. 3.044.

Win7 64
iMac 2011 27" LSI rev8 1394.
Fireface 800

/Johan

Final 3.046 has been released, therefore thread closed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME