51 (edited by MichaelPatrick 2011-04-16 16:26:40)

Re: Fireface UFX USB recording - public pre-release

Technical question for RME: Some 2.5" drives require more power than one computer USB port can provide. Does the front UFX USB port have enough power to reliably run most 2.5" drives?

Yes, as most motherboards. Drives that have an external power connector should be used with an external power supply, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

53 (edited by frnak 2011-04-16 19:51:01)

Quick question, can I see the time remaining on the disk connected?

I think I saw a PDF manual for the record feature somewhere, do you know where that is, or am I imagining it?

EDIT:

Ready to go tonight, 26 channels, 7 hour rock festival, using an Alesis HD24 as a backup, just in case smile

http://i.imgur.com/HDQAm.jpg

I have tested the standalone rec with a external wd mybook. Almost everything was flawless, but a few things:
1. after the disk gone to sleep mode, ufx rec does not wake it up (if I unplug-replug the usb cable, the drive wakes up)
2. after the re-initialization the former recording gone, we can only find one file. the previous recordings were gone completely
3. all the files were 32bit ones. Is this intentional? Why no 24bits?

Thanks

Recorded 7 hours last night, 26 channels onto some no name NexStar 2.5", powered by the UFX. I stopped between bands to get new file numbers, just to make it easier to identify later.

Everything worked like intended until all of the sudden I got >99 ERR on the screen. Unplugged the drive, and plugged it back in, it started initializing, but eventually showed file system error.

I then plugged the disk into the computer I had with me, took the last files off the disk, and plugged it back into the UFX, it initalized and I could start recording again.

Any ideas why this happened? I had an Alesis HD24 recording as well as a backup, so I didn't loose anything...

The next firmware version should solve those problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The next firmware version should solve those problems.

Mine or tamasdragon's, or both? smile

I've used the UFX three days in a row now to record live shows, 16 channels on the first night, then 9 and then 26 last night. The files from the first two nights import just fine into Pro Tools, but the 26 channel files will not import at all, giving me the "Could not complete the import audio command because assertion in [some file path]". The files can be imported into other programs such as Audacity, just not Pro Tools.

What is the quickest way to split the interleaved files into separate mono files?

MC wrote:

Just a small update: during Musikmesse we verified some bugs posted here, found some more, and tested lots of different memory devices. We are now working on the release candidate of firmware and driver, which will have a much improved compatibility (means works with many more sticks/drives that do not work now) and lots of fixes and improvements. We hope to have it released before the end of next week. Stay tuned!

You guys have the best (and fastest) product development and bug fix implementation that I've ever seen.
As a new RME customer, I have to say that I'm impressed!

59 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-04-18 06:27:59)

Moshiko wrote:
bsfreq wrote:

Version 129 only says "file system error" with WD my passport essential SE" 1TB 5400rpm hdd. (never tried with ver 125)
I tried formatting with both macbook pro and windows. (also fat32 formatter)

Make sure there is no first hidden partition. Some WD drives have this as a virtual cd for the security features.

How do I find that out for sure? I'm having trouble with a similar WD drive.I've looked for hidden directories and can't find any. I've also formatted with GUIformat and Acronis for WD.

BTW, I've recorded on a 2 gig Microcruzer stick that DOES have a protected software partition containing
their U3 software, and it worked fine.

LiveAudio wrote:
Moshiko wrote:
bsfreq wrote:

Version 129 only says "file system error" with WD my passport essential SE" 1TB 5400rpm hdd. (never tried with ver 125)
I tried formatting with both macbook pro and windows. (also fat32 formatter)

Make sure there is no first hidden partition. Some WD drives have this as a virtual cd for the security features.

How do I find that out for sure? I'm having trouble with a similar WD drive.I've looked for hidden directories and can't find any. I've also formatted with GUIformat and Acronis for WD.

BTW, I've recorded on a 2 gig Microcruzer stick that DOES have a protected software partition containing

I also have this WD drive, and after spending some time to make it work with UFX with no success, I found a free utility called "EASEUS Partition Master 8.0.1 Home Edition" that did the job.
You can download it from www.partition-tool.com .
Just be careful and check twice before doing anything, so you won't delete/format your other HD...

Moshiko wrote:
LiveAudio wrote:
Moshiko wrote:

I also have this WD drive, and after spending some time to make it work with UFX with no success, I found a free utility called "EASEUS Partition Master 8.0.1 Home Edition" that did the job.
Just be careful and check twice before doing anything, so you won't delete/format your other HD...

Thanks Moshiko. I'll try that out as soon as they release the next update. Still need the mackie control to work flawlessly. For now I'm back to using firmware 112 and tmfx 0.93.

BTW, can I use 2 partitions on the same hd and still get it working with UFX?  I would like to use two 500gb partitions on my drive. One for UFX and one ntfs partition for moving big files between windows and mac.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

The UFX will always use the first partition. So if NTFS is the second that will work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please look at the screenshot below. This is a section where I'm joining back together two files from a recording that was split after it hit the 2gb mark. The upper are the two regions and the lower is after consolidation. They don't match up and I can hear a pop where they meet.

This is with maximum zoom, the distance between grid lines is 10 samples.

Please let me know if there's something I can do to prevent this from happening.

http://i.imgur.com/uCtsL.png

Moshiko wrote:

I Just downloaded it. Yea, it would be very easy to format the wrong thing, so be careful!

A few questions please:

Did the hidden partition show up, or did you use the "hide partition" tab?
Did you do a complete wipe, or did you just format to FAT32? Do you remember what cluster size was used?

Is your Passport a USB 3?

Thanks

frnak wrote:

Recorded 7 hours last night, 26 channels onto some no name NexStar 2.5", powered by the UFX. I stopped between bands to get new file numbers, just to make it easier to identify later.
Everything worked like intended until all of the sudden I got >99 ERR on the screen. Unplugged the drive, and plugged it back in, it started initializing, but eventually showed file system error.
I then plugged the disk into the computer I had with me, took the last files off the disk, and plugged it back into the UFX, it initalized and I could start recording again.
Any ideas why this happened?

The drive was full.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

66 (edited by Moshiko 2011-04-19 07:50:29)

LiveAudio wrote:

I Just downloaded it. Yea, it would be very easy to format the wrong thing, so be careful!

A few questions please:

Did you do a complete wipe, or did you just format to FAT32? Do you remember what cluster size was used?

Thanks

I deleted the existing partitions, created a new one and formatted it to FAT32. I used default settings for the format.

In the beginning I had a USB3 drive that UFX didn't recognize at all. When asked, MC wrote UFX is still not optimized for USB3, so I replaced it with a USB2 drive.
Formatting it to FAT32 with other utilities had some strange results (like 128GB free space instead of 500GB...), that was solved only after formatting using the "Partition Master" application.

67 (edited by bsfreq 2011-04-19 09:48:39)

Moshiko wrote:
LiveAudio wrote:

A few questions please:

Thanks

I deleted the existing partitions, created a new one and formatted it to FAT32. I used default settings for the format.

In the beginning I had a USB3 drive that UFX didn't recognize at all. When asked, MC wrote UFX is still not optimized for USB3, so I replaced it with a USB2 drive.
Formatting it to FAT32 with other utilities had some strange results (like 128GB free space instead of 500GB...), that was solved only after formatting using the "Partition Master" application.

Did your first drive only support USB3?
I thought there's no difference between USB3 and USB2 drives when connected to USB2 port. At least my WD USB3 drive says it's 100% USB2 compatible. Does this mean I should also take my HD back to the store and get something else? Or will the next update already support the drive?

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Next update, don't worry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

69 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-04-19 14:18:37)

MC wrote:

Next update, don't worry.

I did a total wipe and reformat last night of my WD USB3 drive to no avail .
Great to hear that the next revision will resolve this issue.

Thank You.

MC wrote:
frnak wrote:

Any ideas why this happened?

The drive was full.

No, there were over 100gb left on the drive.

Please look at the screenshot below. This is a section where I'm joining back together two files from a recording that was split after it hit the 2gb mark. The upper are the two regions and the lower is after consolidation. They don't match up and I can hear a pop where they meet.

Please let me know if there's something I can do to prevent this from happening.

Actually I am getting the same symptom. There is not a perfect alignment of the segments.
On only a couple tracks its not so obvious but add up 30 and its horrible. I havent posted about
it because i figured I must be the one doing something wrong, but at full zoom the wav segments
dont match up and im getting a pop.

Unfortunatley I just dont have the time to do another test and post a screen shot of my own as I am
ramping up for a huge festival and wont be able to come up for air till after next week.

Hopefully its operator error but I dont think so.

Thanks,
Chip Borton

i7 Extreme 990X 3.47Ghz, 24GB RAM, Fireface UFX
Nuendo 8, Halion 6, Wavelab 9.5, Izotope RX 6

72 (edited by frnak 2011-04-19 23:36:19)

cobiashimew wrote:

Actually I am getting the same symptom. There is not a perfect alignment of the segments.
On only a couple tracks its not so obvious but add up 30 and its horrible. I havent posted about
it because i figured I must be the one doing something wrong, but at full zoom the wav segments
dont match up and im getting a pop.

Unfortunatley I just dont have the time to do another test and post a screen shot of my own as I am
ramping up for a huge festival and wont be able to come up for air till after next week.

Hopefully its operator error but I dont think so.

Thanks,
Chip Borton

I'm not sure how it could be operator error, it has happened in multiple takes with me, and I've used numerous programs to split the files up from the interleaved wave file, and then consolidate it again, and they all show this misalignment error.

EDIT: Just to clarify, not ALL split points in a track show a waveform that doesn't match up, I made it sound like that, but many of them do, to varying degrees. Sometimes it's not audible at all, and sometimes it's too loud to ignore.

73 (edited by UNKNOWN 2011-04-19 23:54:36)

Hi,

I have recording problems with the UFX, let me explain...
I've updated the latest DSP firmware 129, firmware: v342 & driver: v1.50
My Spectralis2 goes through channel 1/2 and my Vermona DRM goes through channel 5/6 when i hit record it records with no problems i can even replay it through the UFX but when i unplug my harddrive from the UFX and hook it up to my macbook i cannot open the WAV file with iTunes like before so i need to open with Quicktime after i play the file i only hear the Spectralis2 synth?? i dont hear the Vermona DRM drums...btw i use the Spectralis2 to trigger the MIDI channel 1&5 of Vermona DRM but the L&R output i have it on UFX channel 5/6 so i dont know why i wont record on the WAV file...please help!

THANKS!

UNKNOWN wrote:

Hi,

I have recording problems with the UFX, let me explain...
I've updated the latest DSP firmware 129, firmware: v342 & driver: v1.50
My Spectralis2 goes through channel 1/2 and my Vermona DRM goes through channel 5/6 when i hit record it records with no problems i can even replay it through the UFX but when i unplug my harddrive from the UFX and hook it up to my macbook i cannot open the WAV file with iTunes like before so i need to open with Quicktime after i play the file i only hear the Spectralis2 synth?? i dont hear the Vermona DRM drums...btw i use the Spectralis2 to trigger the MIDI channel 1&5 of Vermona DRM but the L&R output i have it on UFX channel 5/6 so i dont know why i wont record on the WAV file...please help!

THANKS!

The UFX records into one interleaved wave file that contains all the tracks. You need to split it up, there are lots of programs that can do it for you. I've been using Pro Tools and Reaper (which you can get for free). I'm currently using sox (a command line audio library) along with a shell script I wrote to automatically split the files and then consolidate the appropriate files into single tracks.

Hi Frnak,

You are right! after i opened with Audacity i see 4 separate files thanks!.

76 (edited by cobiashimew 2011-04-20 17:08:05)

Ok, I took some screen shots of my own,

This one is a track that was with active audio running:
[img align=C]http://southweststages.org/segment2.png[/img]
This one is of tracks that were pretty quiet:
[img align=C]http://southweststages.org/segment3.png[/img]

These screenshots are nuendo at full zoom

The simple and most obvious question is: these are clearly audible clicks. Can you hear them when you play back the same file crossing from the UFX?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It sounds clean when I play back directly from the UFX.

MC wrote:

The simple and most obvious question is: these are clearly audible clicks. Can you hear them when you play back the same file crossing from the UFX?

I haven't tried playing it back on the UFX, but in my DAW (tried Pro Tools, Logic and Reaper) I can hear it on quiet tracks, not on loud ones.

We think this is a bug that we fixed already. New firmware coming tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Good news.  Thanks, Matthias.  Did a test last night where I connected an iPad talking wirelessly to a MacBook Pro, and a  Pro Tools session.  Was able to control the UFX, or Pro Tools using the iPad application (called "AC-7").  Very, very cool...

I hope RME plan to add an extraction tool for mac and pc that will be able to batch export the linked waves to single track files, name them with a scheme from TMFX snapshot files and join the tracks into longer files (for example 20 x 200MB extracted track into 2 x 2GB) without any audible clicks or anything like that.

Last night I was splitting 6h of 26 track recording into single files... It took a lot of time, mouse clicks and was just terribly boring.

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

Zavieri wrote:

I hope RME plan to add an extraction tool for mac and pc that will be able to batch export the linked waves to single track files, name them with a scheme from TMFX snapshot files and join the tracks into longer files (for example 20 x 200MB extracted track into 2 x 2GB) without any audible clicks or anything like that.

Last night I was splitting 6h of 26 track recording into single files... It took a lot of time, mouse clicks and was just terribly boring.

There are ways of automating the process, until RME makes a tool for us. What I did was install the sox command line audio library for the mac, and make a shell script that automatically extracts the tracks and consolidates them into longer files.

I just type "ufx_consolidate UFX04" into the terminal and then it rolls through all the UFX04 files for example (UFX04_01.WAV UFX04_02.WAV etc). If you install sox (availble with macports), I can send you the script. You still have to add the track names, but for long recording sessions with lots of tracks it's a GREAT timesaver.

Hey, thanks! This was my first long recording using the usb feature and I suddenly realised that it takes so much time to extract the stuff using the supplied tools... Would be nice to have it integrated with the snapshots trough a RME software supplied with the interface, though. I think about all the guys who doesn't read the forum or doesn't know where the console is wink

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

Zavieri wrote:

I think about all the guys who doesn't read the forum or doesn't know where the console is wink

Yeah it's probably best for those people to wait for the final release. I'm sure RME will release some management tools when the recording feature is ready.

Drive compatibility:
I used a hitachi Travelstar 7K500 500GB 2,5" HTS725050A9A362 connected and powered over usb in an enclosure from 4World accessories.
It was previously in my MBP, I changed the partition table from GUID to MBR, formated to 250GB FAT32 first partition, 250GB ExFat.
Worked just fine.

Also tried with adata micro sd card reader, seemed to work with some small files wink

Let's continue here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 558#p54558

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME