Re: Fireface USB recording - public pre-release 3

MC wrote:

Just a heads up: we got the WD USB 3 drive and already got it working. We also fixed another problem in our routines that will (again) improve the overall compatibility. New firmware coming soon.

Great news!  I'm also interested, was there something weird on the WD drive that prevented it from working?

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

LiveAudio wrote:

Mikey-45,

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but were you the guy that tried the UFX with Vegas 10?
I'm getting ready to upgrade to that, so if you have any insite, please PM me.

Thanks,
Mike

Nope, sorry, don't have Vegas 10...

bsfreq wrote:

I'm also interested, was there something weird on the WD drive that prevented it from working?

Not really, just a small initialization timeout in our implementation. The special device mentioned here is indeed present within the firmware, but it is the second device, so not causing problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think my prior post got overlooked, so I'm re posting it.
     I just did a recording this weekend 10 tracks, @ 48k for 3 -1 hour sets. The 2nd set the HD  stopped recording 25 min. into set. The third set was fine. There were no drop outs but once in a while I could hear slight pops. The Hd was a western digital Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT 500GB in an external enclosure (COOLMAX HD-250C-eSATA Aluminum 2.5" Copper USB & eSATA External Enclosure)
  Any thoughts? 
             thanks Allen

basssalad wrote:

I think my prior post got overlooked, so I'm re posting it.
     I just did a recording this weekend 10 tracks, @ 48k for 3 -1 hour sets. The 2nd set the HD  stopped recording 25 min. into set. The third set was fine. There were no drop outs but once in a while I could hear slight pops. The Hd was a western digital Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT 500GB in an external enclosure (COOLMAX HD-250C-eSATA Aluminum 2.5" Copper USB & eSATA External Enclosure)
  Any thoughts? 
             thanks Allen

did the HD usage screen show errors? Did you scroll through any settings during that set?
Any chance of a power interruption/loose power cable to the external drive?
Just trying to brainstorm..
Mike

No errors on the Drive. I was playing bass. I hit record and picked up my bass and started to play. I recorded on my laptop with digicheck also.

57 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-05-02 05:01:43)

basssalad wrote:

No errors on the Drive. I was playing bass. I hit record and picked up my bass and started to play. I recorded on my laptop with digicheck also.

I do the same thing with Digicheck as a backup. Were those digicheck files OK?

It couldn't have been operator error within TMFX either because besides the fact that you were playing,the stop record function in TMFX will ask you if you really want to stop recording.

My best guest is maybe a hard drive power issue that forced a disconnect, but that's just a guess.
Anyone else had similar problems or observations?

I was wondering if the drive went to sleep or something like it. The external drive has a mini usb connector out of the drive to 2 usb male conectors. One is connected to the UFX. The other is conected to the laptop to power the unit.
      In my power settings on my laptop, I have everything set to always on

The digicheck files were ok. I have a newer laptop and getting it to work right for audio has become a full time job! That's the main reason, I hope this new recording feature works. One day I can record for 2 hours with no errors and the next time, I'll get a few errors after 3 minutes.

Hi. Having some difficulty updating TM 093 to TM 094. You use the word "overwrite. I expected this to be an executable file but nothing happens when I try to install it.
I am on a MAC. Am I doing something wrong? Firmware updated with no problem.

hanse470 wrote:

Hi. Having some difficulty updating TM 093 to TM 094. You use the word "overwrite. I expected this to be an executable file but nothing happens when I try to install it.
I am on a MAC. Am I doing something wrong? Firmware updated with no problem.

Drag and drop it on to your Applications folder. cool

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

62 (edited by Eric Bradley 2011-05-04 18:04:09)

I tried the pre-release 2 with a no-name enclosure and a OOOOOOOOLD 250 GB Seagate ATA drive.
26 channels for 6 hours and 20 minutes.
Average disk load: 30%
Errors: 0

This thing works much better than I expected. :-D

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

See the first post for update: firmware version 134 is now available, with the latest fixes and compatibility improvements. Enjoy!

Some more info:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 152#p55152

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

64 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-05-06 03:07:28)

MC wrote:

See the first post for update: firmware version 134 is now available, with the latest fixes and compatibility improvements. Enjoy!

Some more info:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 152#p55152

Congradulations, the WD 1TB USB3 drive does indeed work! I am currently recording 16 channels at 192K, with HD at 80%,Max write time between 80 and 115 ms, zero errors so far. I've recorded 36 minutes as of now, and have used about 18.56 gigs of space. The file is UFX01-9, which I'm guessing is an indication that the 18 gigs is devided up into 2 gig sections, as expected.

A word of caution to potential buyers of this drive: It has a Virtual CD. Although this is not causing a problem with the UFX, it ties up drive space that cannot be used or recovered :-(   Capacity shows up as 931.25 gig. Let me restate that this IS NOT a UFX problem, but it's inherant to the design of this drive.

The only things I've noticed so far are:
It takes about one minute to fully initialize, but you can see it ititializing on the UFX screen as well as through TMX.
I love that I can see that, because I was afraid it was hanging up until I chose to investigate.

Deleting even small files (2 tracks @ 192k, 45 seconds long) takes about 45 seconds. I don't remember that being the case with prior
revisions.

I'll report back later. So far, so good.

Thanks for the feedback.

LiveAudio wrote:

Deleting even small files (2 tracks @ 192k, 45 seconds long) takes about 45 seconds. I don't remember that being the case with prior revisions.

Unchanged and explained before. With a big drive like this one reading the content (necessary after deleting a file) takes so long. Nearly the same as unplug/plug. This function is there to help in emergency, not as replacement for a computer-based file manager.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

66 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-05-07 06:43:53)

MC wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

LiveAudio wrote:

Deleting even small files (2 tracks @ 192k, 45 seconds long) takes about 45 seconds. I don't remember that being the case with prior revisions.

Unchanged and explained before. With a big drive like this one reading the content (necessary after deleting a file) takes so long. Nearly the same as unplug/plug. This function is there to help in emergency, not as replacement for a computer-based file manager.

Thanks. As long as that's normal, it's not an issue.

I was just about to update you with my new recording stats, but the UFX just stopped recording for no reason and started initializing. The file is UFX02_17, it stopped at 2:01, 877.6 gig left, no errors.

I don't believe it was operator error, but I was online with the same computer that TMFX resides on, so I can't rule that out. I'll try recording another one...

Update. The above was not operator error. The 3rd session stopped on it's own at 3hrs 33 min,,max write time 104 ms, zero errors.
The file is UFX03_39.wav. Same 16 channels at 192K. 797.68 GB are left on the disk. Although there are only 3 files, I now have 67 "sections"  on disk.

I'm doing another test. This time I will perform the same operation with the UFX in full standalone mode, so that we can rule out
any interaction from the computer.

Update 2

I tried to start recording in full standalone mode, and the front screen was frozen. I played around selecting items in the menu such as
the "play" function, and had no response for about 5 attempts, then I was able to play a file. Once I was able to play a file, I was able to record. I'm now recording the 4th session.

Update 3

Session 4 has been running fine with no errors in stand alone mode for 2hrs 45 min. Soon after that, (and up until 2hrs 49 min.) I encountered 12 errors, but the UFX is still recording. Max write time is only averaging 90 ms, with HD use at 80%. There are 709 GB free.- As of now I'm at 3 hrs 45 min. with 14 errors,81% HD use,93 ms write time . Session file has 58 segments, 680 GB remaining on disk. UFX is still recording.

Final Update

UFX has stopped recording. File is UFX04_79. All sections up to UFX04_78 are 3hrs 53 minutes, but UFX04_79 reads 3hrs 19 minutes.
Max Write time was 107ms.

So I can't record continually without an involuntary shutdown.
Regards,
Mike

Another update: TotalMix FX 0.94 pre-release 6 is now available, see link in first post. Lots of fixes and improvements. Obvious changes: New play channel dialog under Windows. New option (F3) to select submix from input and playback row. Extended font support. Better downward compatibility to non-record firmware 1.12. 0 dB Gain bug fixed for instrument input. User definable levels (like Dim) extended to -65 dB. Improved sync between TM FX and the UFX, so the 'Mismatch Warning' message will no longer show up when it shouldn't.

Note: when the option 'LCD support' is enabled under Mac, the faders tend to have a small after-jitter. This seems to be normal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great news, thanks Matthias! smile

BTW, like Mike (LiveAudio), I also had 2 cases that recording has stopped after several minutes.
The new recorded files disappeared and showed up after restarting UFX and reconnecting the HD.
That has happened to me since pre-release 2, and never occured before even during very long recordings.
So I think you really should investigate this issue.
Thanks.

Hello Matthias,

Have tried the beta3 with the TMFX 094_6 and I had a crash on Win 7 - 64... then a beautifull BSOD! Got back to the précedent release.

Best.

Alain

A question about errors: What kinds of things do errors indicate: lost samples, corrupt files, other ? How many errors can be tolerated and the recording still be OK?

LiveAudio wrote:

I tried to start recording in full standalone mode, and the front screen was frozen. I played around selecting items in the menu such as the "play" function, and had no response for about 5 attempts.

That is normal. When the WD is not spinning it needs more than 20 seconds to come back to life. Differently to other drives that we tested it will play dead until then. In that time the UFX is waiting for the drive and can not be controlled from the front. The UFX will not 'hang' forever, but the spec says we have to give a drive up to 30 seconds time to react. After that the UFX would change its display to 'No Media'.

LiveAudio wrote:

Session 4 has been running fine with no errors in stand alone mode for 2hrs 45 min. Soon after that, (and up until 2hrs 49 min.) I encountered 12 errors, but the UFX is still recording. Max write time is only averaging 90 ms, with HD use at 80%. There are 709 GB free.- As of now I'm at 3 hrs 45 min. with 14 errors,81% HD use,93 ms write time . Session file has 58 segments, 680 GB remaining on disk. UFX is still recording.

LiveAudio wrote:

UFX has stopped recording. File is UFX04_79. All sections up to UFX04_78 are 3hrs 53 minutes, but UFX04_79 reads 3hrs 19 minutes. Max Write time was 107ms.

As explained in the Tips&Tricks, at 192 with 16 channels you run the UFX USB port in a worst case scenario, with limited buffer time to compensate/fix actions in between which might need a little bit more time. That said I think the  explanation for the errors and the stop is that the drive got fragmented from the different recording sessions. If you start with an empty one it should work ok until it's full. It should also work ok when you just stop and start recordings, in that case the files will build up without fragmentation. If you start to delete files in-between (or have recordings stopped or with errors) the drive might get fragmented, which then causes a higher response time from the drive for file actions, only in specific moments.

That does not mean that we think the current firmware is error-free. Especially the case when recordings just stop need more examination and (maybe later) a note why it happened. The displayed write time is of no help in that case, because when you look the problem has already passed and you see a different value.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MichaelPatrick wrote:

A question about errors: What kinds of things do errors indicate: lost samples, corrupt files, other ? How many errors can be tolerated and the recording still be OK?

Lost samples. Basically only 0 errors means that your recording is ok, but in reality you will have problems to find/hear a few errors in a long term recording.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

73 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-05-09 16:32:44)

MC > the UFX is waiting for the drive and can not be controlled from the front. The UFX will not 'hang' forever, but the spec says we have to give a drive up to 30 seconds time to react. After that the UFX would change its display to 'No Media'.

Thanks. I figured it was the drive spinning up, now we all know for sure.

MC >As explained in the Tips&Tricks, at 192 with 16 channels you run the UFX USB port in a worst case scenario, with limited buffer time to compensate/fix actions in between which might need a little bit more time.

That's why I did it ! After all, it is a test, and with a finicky drive. If you can get past that, I think you're home free.

MC >That said I think the  explanation for the errors and the stop is that the drive got fragmented from the different recording sessions.

I'll wipe the drive and try again, then I'll  report.

MC >That does not mean that we think the current firmware is error-free. Especially the case when recordings just stop need more examination and (maybe later) a note why it happened.

The front USB is coming along nicely IMO. Just a few more tweaks ....

I have a few issues/comments to report with the front panel operation and TMFX rev6, using Windows XP SP3:

TMFX

When I overwrote the TMFX file, I couldn't get TMFX to show up after reboot. I finally rewrote the file again, and after reboot
I didn't get an open TMFX window, I got a minimized window that wouldn't open, so I shut it. I right clicked on the TMFX icon, and clicked "open new TMFX window". I got the same minimized window for a moment, then TMFX opened. I've never had this behavior with any revision.

My level meters in the inputs and outputs all show a small amount of signal,even though nothing is present.

Front USB
I'm locked out of some functions on my front USB. I'm not sure if this happend with the firmware flash, or after I updated TMFX.
In the setup/options menu, I can't operate clock menu function, such as sample rate. I can access it through TMFX.
I'm locked out of front panel functions in Hardware/diagnosis as well, such as trying to change the optical 2 in,AES pro etc.
Non clock related function like standalone midi and LCD contrast function properly.

Positive feedback:
I haven't played with the new TMFX too much yet, but so far I like the improvements.
I like what you did with the file channel selector function. I also noticed that the record lights flash now, like an armed tape machine
or DAW. I did notice that sometimes for no reason one of those flashing red lights will stop flashing and will stay lit solid instead of flashing. If you click on it, it will flash.

Overall these product revisions = :-)
Regards,
Mike

LiveAudio wrote:

My level meters in the inputs and outputs all show a small amount of signal,even though nothing is present.

Options - Reset MIx - Total Reset. Or are these just the analog inputs?

LiveAudio wrote:

I'm locked out of some functions on my front USB.

Settings like clock etc. can only be changed at the unit when in stand-alone mode. Has always been like that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

75 (edited by mobileUFX 2011-05-10 13:09:57)

Hi everybody,

My Ufx now rans very smooth with the latest update.
32 samples over usb or fw with no problems :-)

The front usb does his job very well for recording.
I've tried it with a Macpoer/Inxtron 2,5" usb-enclosure with a hitachi 160gb;5400rpm,
wich is working very well (30ch,24bit hd load 30-35%, 0 err).

It works also with my transcend multi-card reader with a transcend 8gb sdhc!!!

The write time is high at the beginning of the recording (around 350-450ms)
and then falls down to around 100-130ms(depends on media). Is this a normal behavior?

The Playback feature only works with files i've recorded directly on the ufx.

A Patriot Rage XT 16GB thumb drive won't work at all but a Corsair Voyager GT 64GB works flawlessly, and quite fast.

77 (edited by cobiashimew 2011-05-10 15:57:11)

win 7 x64 - Firmware 1.34 - USB 0.979 - HW 343 - TMFX 0.94 release 6

Hi,

As of the latest release, my UFX has become unstable. I have lost connection between the
computer TMFX and the UFX. IE: music playing in nuendo or any win app but no meters
at all in TMFX or on the UFX. Also moving the volume knob does not move the fader in TMFX and visa versa.
I reboot to get the info that I have blue screened.

It has blue screened 3 times since the update.
The next time it blue screens, is there something that you guys want me to send you?

Woke up this morning and opened up pandora to find the music was distorted and playing
at a high pitch like it lost clock or something. Rebooted and was ok, no blue screen but still
something was wrong.

On a positive note, the PNY 16 GB usb stick that i reported earlier as not working is now fine.

i7 Extreme 990X 3.47Ghz, 24GB RAM, Fireface UFX
Nuendo 8, Halion 6, Wavelab 9.5, Izotope RX 6

LiveAudio wrote:

Fully normal at 192 kHz (thanks for the screenshot). Manual chapter 32.7.

LiveAudio wrote:

And if you switch line levels from +4 to -10 etc. you'll hear an audible click in your monitor.

Fully normal again.

LiveAudio wrote:

TMFX crashed on me for the first time. I still often have the problem I noted before where all I get from TMFX is a minimized window that won't open. I need to shut it and open a new window form the tray icon to get it to work.

That is not normal. Something went wrong at some point. You could try to delete (or rename) the TM FX default files, found in Users\Username\AppData\Local\TotalMixFX. The two relevant files are last.FirefaceUFX1.xml and rme.totalmix.default.xml. Without these TM FX will start with a new default setting.

cobiashimew wrote:

Bravo! All relevant info right at the start!

cobiashimew wrote:

As of the latest release, my UFX has become unstable. I have lost connection between the
computer TMFX and the UFX. IE: music playing in nuendo or any win app but no meters
at all in TMFX or on the UFX. Also moving the volume knob does not move the fader in TMFX and visa versa.

At this point please have a closer look at the TM FX window caption. Im am 100% sure it will say 'Disconnected'.

cobiashimew wrote:

The next time it blue screens, is there something that you guys want me to send you?
Woke up this morning and opened up pandora to find the music was distorted and playing
at a high pitch like it lost clock or something.

Check all driver, firmware and TM FX version numbers again. Effects like wrong play speed point to a different error, not related to TM FX or the DSP firmware. What does the Settings dialog say then - errors?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah! Recording works just great now with the WD drive. :-)

Still hoping to get the dedicated "trim mode on" (and not off) midi command with the final release.
Then the UFX would simply be perfect for my live purposes. Think you could do that?
Probably would be useful for others as well..

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

81 (edited by LiveAudio 2011-05-12 22:00:58)

LiveAudio wrote:
LiveAudio wrote:

Fully normal at 192 kHz (thanks for the screenshot). Manual chapter 32.7.

LiveAudio wrote:

And if you switch line levels from +4 to -10 etc. you'll hear an audible click in your monitor.

Fully normal again.

OK, thanks.

LiveAudio wrote:

TMFX crashed on me for the first time. I still often have the problem I noted before where all I get from TMFX is a minimized window that won't open. I need to shut it and open a new window form the tray icon to get it to work.

That is not normal. Something went wrong at some point. You could try to delete (or rename) the TM FX default files, found in Users\Username\AppData\Local\TotalMixFX. The two relevant files are last.FirefaceUFX1.xml and rme.totalmix.default.xml. Without these TM FX will start with a new default setting.

OK, I'll try that.

I wiped out my drive and did the 16ch 192k test again. this time I got to 3hrs 52 min before I got the "usb recording stopped" notice.
I'm running this test again with only 10 channels at 192K as to lessen the load on the buffer. I'll report back.

Update:
6hrs 12 minutes of recording for 10 channels @ 192K before getting the  "usb recording stopped" notice.
I'll wipe the WD USB3 and try a real world test with more channels at a lower speed.

Regards,
Mike

MC, I'm running RC3. Low-latency is not a requirement in my setup.  Reliability, i.e. no errors, is important.  For rock-solid recording what should I set the Buffer Size (Latency) to?

83 (edited by cobiashimew 2011-05-11 17:21:27)

Hello,

The strange distortion/playback speed change thing happened to me this morning again.
All I was doing was listening to MOG.com (streaming music site) and reading my email etc.
I had been listening for about an hour with no problems then all of a sudden the sound became
very distorted and running fast.

The Fireface USB Settings panel shows no errors, internal clock at 44.1 Khz

cobiashimew wrote:

at a high pitch like it lost clock or something.

Check all driver, firmware and TM FX version numbers again. Effects like wrong play speed point to a different error, not related to TM FX or the DSP firmware. What does the Settings dialog say then - errors?

I have rechecked my drivers and firmware and they are all the latest.
No errors on the Settings panel.

P.S. Just a thought ... I recently went from a hardwired Ethernet connection to a USB wireless NIC Netgear WND3100v2.
Could the two USB devices be conflicting with each other in some way?
I think I will put my hard cable back on for a few days just to rule that out.

i7 Extreme 990X 3.47Ghz, 24GB RAM, Fireface UFX
Nuendo 8, Halion 6, Wavelab 9.5, Izotope RX 6

MichaelPatrick wrote:

MC, I'm running RC3. Low-latency is not a requirement in my setup.  Reliability, i.e. no errors, is important.  For rock-solid recording what should I set the Buffer Size (Latency) to?

Are you aware that this thread is about Direct USB Recording via the USB front port? Which is independently from any computer buffer setting? I just wonder if your question about errors referred to the errors shown in the settings dialog, not the ones we talk about here (shown on the UFX display)...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

cobiashimew wrote:

P.S. Just a thought ... I recently went from a hardwired Ethernet connection to a USB wireless NIC Netgear WND3100v2. Could the two USB devices be conflicting with each other in some way?
I think I will put my hard cable back on for a few days just to rule that out.

That indeed might be it. Good luck.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
MichaelPatrick wrote:

Are you aware that this thread is about Direct USB Recording via the USB front port? Which is independently from any computer buffer setting? I just wonder if your question about errors referred to the errors shown in the settings dialog, not the ones we talk about here (shown on the UFX display)...

I was asking about recording via DigiCheck and/or to a DAW via ASIO. Sorry for asking in the wrong forum. sad

Hi,
first my config
driver 2.91; Unit vers 336; totalmix 0.94 pre6; osx 10.5.8

I had some time and tried out the new features.
Here my notes:

The delete function is working but after click yes in the popup window ("do you really want…") there is no status view.Only the delete button is grayed out. You don't see anything till the file is complete deleted (which can need 15-30 seconds).
is this long deleting time a normal behavior?

The info window of the recorder section is not updating his values during the recording progress.
So it is not possible to see the actual remaining rec time.
A switchable view from recording- to remaining time would really helpful …

here my personal wish-list:

user editable file name and numbering for the front usb recording's.
(at least with date and the possibility to see if it's a splitted file or new started recording)

repeat one/all loop-feature for the player

2 separated fx busses

mouse drawable eq graph's

these are just my 2 cent...
sorry for my bad english

thx for your time

Hello MobileUFX.

> You don't see anything till the file is complete deleted (which can need 15-30 seconds).
is this long deleting time a normal behavior?

How big is your drive? When you delete files it's like a drive disconnect and the drive needs to sync back up.
It's a utility function that's there to help, but it's not like using a PC to manage files. So if you have a large drive,
that's most likely the issue. ( based on my past questions and experience. )

Regards,
Mike

Matthias,

I noticed that on my last drive test (post # 81, 6hrs 12 minutes of recording for 10 channels @ 192K)
The file that the recording stopped on was UFX02_99. I know that there is a 99 file limit for individual recordings,
but is there a 99 "section" limit as well?

Thanks,
Mike

I read through the other USB Recording threads and couldn't find an official answer to the question of it is possible (and stable) to record both directly to a usb drive and also to a laptop running a recording program such as Pro Tools.

What is RME's official stance?  How reliable would it be as a redundant solution?

mobileUFX wrote:

The info window of the recorder section is not updating his values during the recording progress.

It updates every time you open it.

mobileUFX wrote:

user editable file name and numbering for the front usb recording's.
(at least with date and the possibility to see if it's a splitted file or new started recording)

No way, and the second one is obsolete. Have a look again how the files are named and numbered.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

LiveAudio wrote:

I noticed that on my last drive test (post # 81, 6hrs 12 minutes of recording for 10 channels @ 192K)
The file that the recording stopped on was UFX02_99. I know that there is a 99 file limit

Actually it is a 100 file limit, as counting starts with 00.

LiveAudio wrote:

for individual recordings, but is there a 99 "section" limit as well?

Correct. You can do 100 recordings, then have to start to delete something.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

orangroove wrote:

I read through the other USB Recording threads and couldn't find an official answer to the question of it is possible (and stable) to record both directly to a usb drive and also to a laptop running a recording program such as Pro Tools.

The recording is independent from the computer and doesn't affect the computer performance in any way. Only the sample rate has to be identical.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great news!  I think this is a major marketing point that you should include with product descriptions when this feature goes official (if you aren't already thinking of doing so).  Of course this only safeguards against hard drive or computer issues, but it will be a great reassurance to know that there is something to safeguard against random DAE errors in Pro Tools!

orangroove wrote:

Great news!  I think this is a major marketing point that you should include with product descriptions when this feature goes official (if you aren't already thinking of doing so).  Of course this only safeguards against hard drive or computer issues, but it will be a great reassurance to know that there is something to safeguard against random DAE errors in Pro Tools!

I tested the "redundant" mode when I first set up the USB under it's Alpha version release, and it worked great. In addition to testing the front USB in combination with my DAW (which was actually video NLE software) I used the Digicheck utility to do a "global record" at the same time that I used the front USB. Set up that way, you get redundant interleaved files, and you can also use digicheck to monitor the signal.

Very cool stuff indeed !

Regards,
Mike

LiveAudio wrote:

is there a 99 "section" limit as well?

MC wrote:

Correct. You can do 100 recordings, then have to start to delete something.

Thanks.
That means that the last few tests that I ran recorded to the fullest extent of the system's file capabilities without stopping and without one single error. That's awesome !

I've run enough testes to conclude that:
1) Tthe "stop" error is most likely to occur at the maximum load, where the buffer has little "breathing room" to deal
with the data.

2) that more "Real World" tests like 32 channels at 48K will run without stopping, until you hit the 100 section limit,
which gives around 10 hours of strait recording time :-)

I'd still love to be able to exceed that 100 file section limit. If you run 32 channels@ 96K to archive a festival, you'll need to
swap drives due to the file limit.No big deal though, as it's safer to split up the festival across multiple drives anyway.

I'm taking the unit out tomorrow night to record a band playing a 4 hour corporate party. I'm confident at this point that
the front USB will be stable enough for me. ( of course I'll down mix through a matrix to a CDR just to be safe ;-)

Regards,
Mike

I fully agree, with version 1.34 and a sense-making number of channels the recording should work. Nevertheless reliability is the key word for this feature, and the few posts here about stopped recordings without obvious reason have made us delay the final firmware and start searching again for such a pitfall. That's why we did not release anything so far. I hope tracking this down doesn't take more than a few more days. Fortunately I got a hard drive that shows this kind of error quite often (but only under extreme conditions, so like said you should be safe).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

98 (edited by mobileUFX 2011-05-14 09:42:42)

Hi,
first my config
driver 2.91; Unit vers 336; totalmix 0.94 pre6; osx 10.5.8

I think a found a little bug in the playback feature:

If a file is playing i only see the output level on the Ufx itself but not in totalmix.

P.S. Yesterday a recording of 8 channels in 24bit, 44,1 stopped after around 6 minutes without a reason.
       After restart it records for 4 hours without problems.

That's not a bug, it's a feature. You have to set the Level Meters to 'Post FX'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry, my fault.

Thanks for the hint. Now it works....