Re: Fireface USB recording - public pre-release 3

Why would I want to have separate gain controls for a stereo channel?  If I want to set the gain for each channel independently, I would put them in mono.

The UFX is designed to work stand alone. We see customers now using the UFX completely stand alone as field recorder, without TotalMix. In most cases the preamp gain for location microphones is set individually - even if the channel is linked (accidently) to stereo. If this is not possible with the encoders, because the channels are linked to stereo, the engineer has to set the channels to mono before - loosing time in a live situation. I think it is a small problem to set both gains to the same value with the two encoders, as the other way around and unlink 2 or all 4 preamp channels before (how and where?) or even suspecting a bug.

In the end it is simply a question of philosophy. Give the user the flexibility with as much as possible control with the available control elements (encoders) and break the rules or follow a strict logical guideline.

best regards
Knut

Thanks for the response and explanation, Knut.  It still seems like an odd choice to me, but it is not a major issue either way.  Loving the UFX!

Actually, I like the way the UFX works (individual control) than the way TMFX works (one knob controls both). The reason is simply because I use more M/S than XY or AB stereo, and I often need to change the gain separately. In TMFX, I have to disengage stereo, and then change one of the mic gain, and turn the stereo on. In UFX unit, I just hit the mic gain button, and adjust the encoder of the mic I want to change. If I use XY/AB stereo pair, then I use TMFX to change the gain. So, in a total sense, it is very convenient in both ways.

Also as a regular user of M-S technique, the issue of gain matching arises, particularly in the case of the BabyFace, when preamp gain steps are quite coarse (3dB).

Of course, the width control in stereo can be useful here.  However in the case of a microphone pair that I use regularly (Schoeps MK4/MK8), the MK8 fig-8 is nominally 2dB less sensitive than the MK4.  In the case of the UFX with gain steps of 1dB, it is possible to address this with a gain offset - (is this offset preserved when subsequent gain changes are made in stereo mode?) - but less so in the BabyFace.

It would be useful if the maximum of the width control could be made 150% or 200%, both for compensating for the above situation, as well as for some effects.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Recording oddities

I purchased a Transcend 64 GB Jet Flash 600 with an 18 MB/s write speed.

I ran 3 hours of 12 channels 96/24 and had one error, but the errors occurred early (in subsequent attempts) and happened almost every time I started it. It seems to be the delay thing again. Since 12 channels of 96/24 is a lot for my purposes, I will use the flash drive as a backup in case I find that my spinning disk has failed.

The spinning disk (120 GB laptop drive in an iOmega USB/FW shirt-pocket-size case, bus powered with external power option (not used)) is fine. I noted an anomaly when recording 12 channels of 192/24 that the display stopped after about 1 hour and 20 minutes, but the unit kept recording over 3 hours of material until the disk filled up (there were other recordings on the disk as well).

All this with no errors reported during the 1:20 or so that the display was active. Windows reported a bit over 3 hours of material on the disk when the disk filled up.

After spending over $100 for a USB thumb drive and still seeing random errors, I'm giving up on USB thumb drives and will continue to use the spinning disk for recording. It had worked well with the Sound Devices 722 before I got my 32 GB CF card.

Also, I did not receive any comments regarding TMFX and the buffer over-runs in message #142, above. If anyone has found items that might cause clustered fails while not on your home network would be appreciated.

Samplitude has confirmed that the poly file loading-in-sequence-issue of the 1-second gap is a bug and have added it to their bugbase.

Which display are you talking about - the UFX front or the Recorder panel in TM FX?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

157 (edited by rlhess 2011-06-10 16:35:52)

The UFX Front Panel display froze but I believe there was still recording (there were files, but I was recording silence)--this was at 12 channels (all analog) at 192/24 using a USB Hard drive. The Recorder panel in TM FX also mirrored this stopped clock.

This test was done with the UFX connected to the studio edit machine, not the laptop as I was testing direct-connect drives. Win7 64 Pro, Core i7 930 @2.8 GHz (quad core), 12 GB RAM, USB connection.

Thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Did a 10-channel 44.1/24 recording just now at the church kids/talent evenings (one good Grade 7 (in school) pianist). Nothing truly important. The external HDD plugged into the FFUFX did fine and we had no display freezeups. Working as expected.

I stopped a lot of automatic events in Windows and still had 54 HD buffer errors on the W7 laptop with DigiCheck recorder most of them were listed as two together, a few single and a few three together. The group that I saw displayed was about 38 of the total of 54 lost buffers in just a few seconds. I wonder what grabs a hold of the machine. Grrr. Not an RME problem but anyone who had suffered through this and found it I'd appreciate to hear from them. I think I had the FFUFX at 4096 buffer size, but I'm not certain.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi, links to TM FX .94 don't seem to be working for me. Can anyone else access the files?
If not would it be possible to update the links?
Thanks, looking forward to trying this out.

You are looking in the wrong thread. The links are here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11209

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the manual--I had not seen that before. It answers some questions.

Cheers,

Richard