Re: USB recording media recommendation for UFX - pen drives etc.

Hot? Or maybe it needs some more free space or a SSD Trim?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maybe a Sync Problem between the hooked Octamic D had been the Problem.
The ssd-housing was less than hand-warm.

Or the typical Windows samplerate change Problem.

One more test over 1,5 h with 16 Ch.@24/44.1 ended up perfectly (no error, correct multiple-Files).

Can Windows change the samplerate, eventhough the ufx being hooked up with asio (samplitude) @96kHz?

The Problem is that Windows often switches modified Things back after updates…

The housing is really fine, the indication of usb 2.0 or 3.0 with the Color of the LED is a nice thing 2 have in this application.

Samsung tells me:
"
-    SSD-Trim aktivieren:
[Win7/Win server 2008 or later version]

**** - FAT32 is not supported ****; NTFS is supported
-TRIM cannot be done, but Enable/Disable is possible.
- Enable TRIM in Windows : fsutil command   ...
"
So it seems, trim has no effect on FAT32-Partitions. But it should be no Problem to delete and reformat the Partition before the new recording session. OK, al little bit oldschool hammer method :-)

Which external SSD works with the UFX II / UFX+?

Crucial has a new model X6:
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-08/ext … -portable/

Has anybody information if this would work fine?

Orgelmatt wrote:

The Url:

https://www.amazon.de/Optimiert-Inateck … amp;sr=8-5

But it seems my ssd, an old Samsung 840 model, did not pass Long time testing. it stopped after 2 hours 24 ch. 24/41.1 and now stops every try after About 2 min. recording and starts to re-initialise hdd. very sorry, are there prooved ssd's on the market?

Did you find an SSD that works?

RME have repeatedly claimed SSD's generally work fine with the latest DUREC but there are examples on the previous page of this thread of models that fail. 

It would be good to have an official recommendation for full recording capacity please!

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Hello
Some recommendation of USB stick model & size for an UCX II ?

Regards

In the manual. And here:

https://youtu.be/UoctQ_8ji9o?list=RDCMU … vpCB91h-AA

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

258 (edited by ramses 2021-08-29 11:47:46)

@Matthias: so these would work .. ?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/SanDisk-Extr … 1&th=1 €38,99 (€0,30/GB)

The products of higher capacity are cheaper in terms of price/GB, ~€0,23 and 0,24, cheapest the 256GB variant:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/SanDisk-Extr … 1&th=1 €58,99 (€0,23/GB)

Even less expensive is this product combination of 256GB microSDXC card and reader:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/SDDR-B531-GN … 5&th=1 €52,98 (€0,21/GB).

If my calculation is correct, then it should be possible to record with an UFX+ 80 DURec channels @44.1 kHz for ~6,6h (note: I calculated the netto capacity to be approx 91,25%):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akhswg2gbit157y/2021-08-29%2012_03_36-DUREC%20calculation.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The SD cards that I used/tried were not able to record 80 channels, but either 74 or 76. Otherwise they worked perfectly, and as no one uses so many channels they are a recommended and cheap solution. For full 80 channels one might need V90 specification, but such SD cards are very expensive and then have no advantage over an Extreme Pro or similar.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok perfect, many thanks. Then USB Stick, then I can use it also very flexible for PC.
I hope that the 256 GB Model has the same good controller like the 128 GB model, that you tested.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

261 (edited by ramses 2021-09-01 11:39:59)

I tested now two Sandisk Extreme Pro sticks against my old one from 2014:
UFX+, 80 ch. selected @44.1 kHz. Test time around 22 minutes for a 1st impression.

Note: the 2GB filesize are reached in ~00:06:45.
MADIface Driver: 0.9735, Firmware: SW v46

Preparation of media:
A) start cmd window with admin rights
B) wipe stick and create new/empty primary partition using Windows 10's diskpart tool
    diskpart
    list disk                 <--- identify the disk number/id of the USB stick
    select disk N     <--- replace "N" with the disk number in your case (from previous steip)
    clean
    create par prim
    exit

C) format primary partition as FAT32 (with a default clustersize of 64 sectors) using h2format (from C't magazing):
     https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2format-40825
     h2format.exe V:  <----- replace "V:" with your volume"

Important for the formatting using h2format: it seems to be required to use the default cluster size of 64, because when I formatted with 32, then the DURec recording stopped several times after a few minutes.

1. SanDisk Extreme 64 GB USB 3.0 (from 10/2014 !=WD controller)
    ASIN               : B00DZPUOUI
    Modellnummer: SDCZ80-064G-G46
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DZP … &psc=1
    USB 76-77%, 0 Err (after 20 min), R/W time: usually constant 69ms, rare peaks of ~72-80ms, very rare 130ms

2. Sandisk Extreme Pro USB 3.2, 128 GB
    ASIN               : B01MU8TZRV
    Model number: SDCZ880-128G-G46
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MU8TZRV/ref … 91_TE_item
    80ch selected, time: 03:21:35
    USB 77-78%, 0 Err (after 40min), R/W time: 69-71ms, rare peaks at 74ms

3. Sandisk Extreme Pro USB 3.2, 256 GB
   ASIN               : B01N7QDO7M
   Model number: SDCZ880-256G-G46
   https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01N7QDO7M/ref … _item?th=1
   80ch selected, time: 06:43:10
   USB 77-79%, 0 Err (after 05:37:57), R/W time: 69-73 ms

Test passed for the 256 GB model, cool.

@Matthias: recording stopped at the 100th file, but there are still 38,56 GB free on the volume of the stick.

Would it perhaps be possible to extend this a bit by e.g. using three digits as counter for the 2GB multichannel wave files?

If DURec can write 100 files UFX01_00.WAV - UFX01_99.WAV why not 200 or 300 or 1000?

I think the RME batch processor software wouldn't get any memory problems, because it does not need to keep whole files in memory to convert the multichannel wave to different files..

I think if you record fewer channels, that you are quicker limited by the 100 file limit compared to disk space on a volume.

I have to point out that this 100 file limit is for an ongoing recording. Who needs more? Every time you start a new recording the counter also starts again at 0.

Changing that would also mean updates required for all tools, software and the firmware of four devices. Lots of work, and IMHO not worth it.

And it's the other way round: the more channels you use, the quicker you write 100 files.

Basically 100 files of 2 GB = 200 GB max recording capacity. You can calculate that back on how much time in recording you get at low, medium and max channel count.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

264 (edited by ramses 2021-09-01 14:39:46)

The reason I asked was a use case to be able to record an event over a longer period of time and do the editing afterwards in a DAW. A friend of mine has sometimes already life events over 4h, that would be covered.

Now where I noticed how stable this runs I simply had the spontaneous idea, what you would think about such an extension. Sure, tools would need to be changed.

But thinking longer about this and reading your comment I have to admit, that I would even not be 100% sure, whether a DAW could handle such a big file and file operations might need a lot of physical and virtual memory so that my "spontaneous idea" might even be a bad idea. Ok, maybe not so cool than I thought initially.

Anyway, many thanks Matthias for your work and efforts / this video and having informed about these wonderful USB sticks, very useful ! :-)

265 (edited by LarsErik 2021-12-22 09:51:06)

My UCXII is in a rack so I wanted to try using a Samsung PSSD T7 drive for Durec so that I could easily move the drive back and forth between my computers and the UCXII.

Did some benchmarks, works really nicely.

Benchmark 1: Recording 16 channels at 24 bit 192kHz for 20 minutes
HD: 69 to 71% 
R/W-Time: 72 to 76ms 
Errors: 0
Benchmark 2: Recording 30 channels at 24 bit 48kHz for 20 minutes
HD: 32 to 33 % 
R/W-Time: 72 to 73ms 
Benchmark 3: Recording 8 channels at 24 bit 48kHz for 20 minutes
HD: 9% 
R/W-Time: 41ms 
Fireface UCXII & UCX , MacBook Pro m1, Sonoma

266 (edited by draudio2u 2022-03-11 23:35:04)

Hello,
Based on recommendations reading here I purchased a SanDisk Extreme PRO 128 gig.  I cannot find a solution to format to FAT32.  Anyone have a solution?  the link above for h2format does not work. Running a Windows 10 Pro machine.  When I try via CMD, I get failure, drive to large for FAT32.
Thank you.

UPDATE:
Never mind.  I switched the stick over to a MAC and used Disc Utility.  Instant Format and works perfectly (hopefully).  So far testing with 12 channels @192kHz = sitting at 50-51%

This is not a recommendation, but personally on Windows I use the free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard. Handles any size to any format.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

268 (edited by muratkayi 2022-04-30 12:50:32)

Hi,

My Fireface UCX II says it can't read my memory card for DuRec.

I went for a combination of SC card and adapter: Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB (recommended in a RME video or the manual, can't remember) and a ANKER USB 3.0 reader. The card was formatted on Win10 with MiniTool Partition Wizard. There is only one partition on that drive, FAT32, primary type.

Is the card reader the problem? What would I need instead? Or what might be going on?

Use MiniTool first to completely wipe the SD card, then format. Don't do this in one (batch) process.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

270 (edited by muratkayi 2022-05-01 18:52:38)

Hi,
I would have never thought of this.
However, it did not work out.
I started PartitionWizard and the SD Card showed as a normal device with the FAT32 partition. I then deleted the partition and applied. Closed PartitionWizard. Took the drive out of the port. Put it back in. Started PartitionWizard which showed the device with no partition at all (expected). Created a new partition type primary with FAT32. Applied. Closed PartitionWizard. Took out the drive (having told Windows to disconnect the drive first).
Then I put it back into the UCX II and it again showed a "Media device error" with no memory available...

(BTW, thanks very much for taking the time on a sunday to reply - much appreciated, I am baffled..:) )

EDIT: Seeing as my notebook has a SC Card slot built in, I also tried the same procedure with the SC card only, leaving out the adapter. On the PC everything seems to have worked, but on the UCX II still the same error.

271 (edited by muratkayi 2022-05-01 22:54:07)

OK, I thought that maybe I got your directions wrong as I just "deleted" the partition, but the german "bereinigen" seems to actually "wipe" the drive.
I just did that, two separate actions, "wipe" the drive (filling it with zeros), then new action of creating a new single primary partition formatted with FAT32.

Aaand also to just make sure and also, because I am at a loss as to what else I could do to make it work, I also wiped it again with "ones" and both times the same result:

Still the same error...

I 'delete' the partition, perform the action, then 'format' the drive. That worked every time. It did not work when doing both in one batch action, for whatever reason...

And only the SD cards behaved so unusual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok,

I will try again with a different adapter maybe (it being a USB 3.0 should not be a problem actually, but maybe I should look for a USB 2.0?)

If that does not work out, seeing as the thumbdrives have such unreliable performance, a small SSD drive should run reliably while giving the UCX II no problems with recognition, right?

Right. And the SanDisk Extreme 128 GB stick (!) mentioned in the video is still our number one recommendation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

275 (edited by muratkayi 2022-05-04 15:46:00)

That would be the SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.2 Solid state flash drive, right. I.e. not the one where the controller changed. Yeah, I might give that one a try, first

EDIT: Yep. That one works. Thanks!

276 (edited by vvilms 2023-09-11 19:12:47)

MC wrote:

Right. And the SanDisk Extreme 128 GB stick (!) mentioned in the video is still our number one recommendation.

would it be this one now?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GY3Z4JR?re … B05J0Z1MN1

vvilms wrote:
MC wrote:

would it be this one now?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GY3Z4JR?re … B05J0Z1MN1

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 42#p175442