Topic: Trouble when using 2nd DIGI9632/52

Windows 7 32 bit with latest drivers for DIGI. Both cards are seen by DAW (NUENDO 4). I only have the first card sending lightpipe to an Alesis HD24XR. The HD24XR locks to the ADAT via Optical without problems. However I am getting distortion at some points (its inconsistent as to where in the audio tracks). I made the cards Master for sync. I'm only using them for playback at this point. I have to admit there are many settings in the control panel that I am clueless as to their proper setting or use.

I removed the second card and so far everything is working 100% as I was not able to reproduce the problem. Upon re-installing card 2 I started to experience the same problem. So all points to some sort of loss of sync or compatibility.

I will try next to remove both cards and use only card 2 to see if maybe it is the card itself as opposed to a software problem.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Jim

2 (edited by vinark 2011-06-20 19:08:36)

Re: Trouble when using 2nd DIGI9632/52

both cards need to be synced too.
though i´m not sure this could cause the symptoms.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Missing sync, the cards run free and will eventually run out of sync...  A physical connection is required.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel, that was the last thing I was going to try! Thanks for advise.

I'll do that next (I'm just exhausted from listening to the same 24 tracks over and over and over.....argh...).

So if I understand you correctly, if I connect 1 of the 3 ADAT Optical cables to the second card (16 tracks on 1st card and 8 tracks on 2nd) they should both work?

What I don't get is why if I am only using 1 card does it loose sync if 2nd card is not used? They are dependent on each other?

Anyway I will test tonight and report my findings.

Thanks

Jim

You can use SPDIF, too...
ASIO driver uses/loads both cards...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Not doing good. I just tried the 2 cards with the 2nd card using 1 ADAT cable as sync. It didn't like it at all. Says it locks but it shows all 3 ports locked (only 1 connected) and the sync is at 96khz instead of 48khz!

I disabled all other PCI cards except for the 2 DIGI ones just in case.

The first card shows sync as MASTER. When I use the 2nd card what should the control panel settings be? Should 2nd card also be MASTER?

You advised using SPDIF to sync. I don't have any SPDIF gear. The HD24XR is ADAT. I also have an Alesis 8 channel interface. I have not tried syncing the second card to that. I'll try that next.

I really appreciate the help you are giving me.

Cheers

Jim

Second card must be Autosync, and I meant SPDIF from one card to the other...

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I've now tried every combination I can think of. Having a 2nd card installed does not work.

Tried making the 2nd card "Autosync" and it seems to be OK but eventually the audio goes crazy. Sometimes I look at the control panel and 2nd card thinks its sync'd at 96khz!

Not sure what you mean by SPDIF? Do you mean I should run an ADAT cable from card 1 to card 2?

What about Word Clock out from card 1 to Word Clock in of card 2?

Right now I've given up and will probably end up selling one card (they both work perfectly on their own). I need 8 to 16 more ADAT outputs so I am wondering if a new PCI HDSP 9632 would work?

Oh well.

Jim

9 (edited by Bluzzi 2011-06-21 14:49:32)

Daniel, the DIGI cards have some pins on them. I have to look again but is it possible that these are used to connect one card to another for purpose of synchronizing?

I don't have a manual for these. I'll check now and see if there is one in the RME downloads section.
(OK I found the manual. The DB9 connector has SPDIF but I see that in the back there are 2 pins for CARD 1 Sync out and CD1. If I connect Sync from card 1 to CD1 of card 2 is that the idea? Or must it be via the SPDIF of the DB9?)

Thanks.

Cheers

Jim

Anyone have an answer for connecting 2 cards together?

I need to know which pins on card 1 should be connected to which pins on card 2.
See image below image for the various pins.

Thanks

Jim

[img align=l]http://www.vibrolux.org/DIGI9636-52.jpg[/img]

If anything could work it woulde be sync out to cd in. Set the cd in card to autosync. This is in manual!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

You could also simply use the RCA SPDIF connection, if it's not used otherwise.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME