Re: Surprise Surprise - Babyface goes Class Compliant! (Update 12/10/2012)

envelope wrote:

This is beautiful.

Thank you very much :-)

[img align=L]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UvFBKAQt57o/ULVEgWSor7I/AAAAAAAAA8Y/qryPM-QM_FI/s624/IMG_0705.jpg[/url]

Hi envelope,
can you or anyone else link me to that cable you are using? Or is it self made? Cause my searches did not give me any results for USB 2.0 Y-cables.

cheers,
Ralf

That cable comes with the Babyface. If you need more - easy to find everywhere, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28108-Y … B0013LSFJI

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That cable comes with the Babyface. If you need more - easy to find everywhere, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Male-Power-Sync-C … 002ZUV9IK/

Thx Matthias,
a view into the dusty box did the trick :-)

The cable u are linking to is on USB A connectors on all 3 ends. Won't work with that I believe?

cheers
Ralf

54 (edited by envelope 2012-12-25 09:22:04)

You know what would make this even more perfect than perfection itself?

controlling the mixer and pre amps with midi or OSC while in cc mode with the IPAD.

I know that midi and OSC control are TotalMix features, which doesn't work in cc mode, but, you know, this cc mode workaround really shows how RME can come up with amazing and unpredictable solutions, so I can dream, yep?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Link fixed, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Did my first recording today with the ipad and babyface. The fact that the ipad is a fanless computer is the biggest win here. You can have it on the same room as the mic without adding noise to the signal.

Also, I turned on the phantom power with the babyface on bus power (ipad's power adapter, as on the picture I posted earlier in this thread) and it did not dropped the connection. Good.

May I requote this interesting and red hot question?

Rodrigo wrote:

Is there any chance the fireface UC also gets CC?

This has been answered elsewhere in this forum... Not possible, sorry.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok. Thanks anyway!

Not seen much mention of android.... But found a nice simple app for recording stereo from the babyface into my nexus 7...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ecorderpro

There is a multi track version coming soon

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

In Class Compliant mode (from the documentation, Section 4, second paragraph):

"The Babyface onboard mixer can copy the output signal 1/2 to outputs 3/4, SPDIF and ADAT, for easier monitoring."

Is this set permanently ("will", not "can" in the above)?  If not, where can this be set?  There appear to be no instructions for this option in the documentation.

Further, in some mono applications for CC mode (eg., Skype) it would be useful to be able to configure the output so that L out (1) is Skype return audio, R out (2) is a copy of Mic L (1) Skype input signal.  Can this be influenced by the stored mixer settings?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/cc … face_e.pdf

Page 7: Switch Output Routing / Monitoring

Skype routing: Not at this time, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the clarification.  Somehow, I read that to apply to Stand-Alone mode ...

Maybe it could be made more explicit in section 4:

"The Babyface onboard mixer can copy the output signal 1/2 to outputs 3/4, SPDIF and ADAT, for easier monitoring (choose Copy Mode or DAW Mode)."

A set of simple Signal Flow diagrams might also help clarify the options ....

Help!  I just updated the firmware to 203 with current driver.  I was curious about CC and standalone.  I have got the unit into CC mode, and cannot get back to normal operation.  Am I missing something?  I have read the documentation.  I just cannot get it back.
Thanks!
-Eric

I was able to return to normal operation by powering up with another computer.  The flip flop causes both computers to crash.  Is this to be expected?  Thanks.
-Eric

I got a 6-12V, 1A power supply from RadioShack and am using an Apple CCK into the latest iPad with lightning connector.  I'm following the proper order and I"m sure the BF is in CC mode but I still get the "this device draws too much power" message.  There's no sign of life from the BF as far as lights. 

Any ideas? When I run power into the second branch of the RME-provided USB cable, it seems to work but that would require a VERY close by power supply or ANOTHER cord (an extension) so I thought I'd just check.

Any ideas? Is the RadioShack supply just crap? Where does one order a US-ready power supply as recommended by RME?

I'm excited to give it a try!

singingzoologist wrote:

Any ideas? Is the RadioShack supply just crap? Where does one order a US-ready power supply as recommended by RME?

I'm excited to give it a try!

Seems so. If you have a Linksys WiFi router, the PSU works in a pinch. I would try that before you spend $50+ on the (not-so-special) PSU from RME.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I would like to share some of my experience with the RME Babyface as a portable recording device.
I use it with an ipad mini and an external battery with 10.000 mAh and it took me a while to figure out what causes the problems that I experienced.

CLASS COMPLIANT MODE:
Running the Babyface in CC Mode works as long as there is enough power for it and sometimes it's not obvious that there's not enough power for it. The Babyface might seem totally normal, and the LEDs are working as they should but if there are some problems regarding power (power peaks) - the program you work with on the ipad will start to act weird.
I work with Auria as my main DAW on the ipad and insufficient power can result in wrong timecode, slow recording, crackles, blackouts during recording and the ipad might unmount the Babyface from time to time.

As every setup is different I can only speak for my 10.000 mAh battery pack that i had bought on amazon (easyacc -27€) but it might also happen with other battery packs. This one has two USB connections - one labeled with 1A and one with 2A.

First of all, I can use the Babyface in CC mode with microphones that don't need 48 Volt Phantom Power (dynamics + ribbons) running from the 1A USB output of the battery. This works flawlessly!

Phantom Power nevertheless caused problems and even using the 2A USB output did not help. Auria was unstable and in the end unusable - sometimes it worked for minutes but everything acted weird and I had lots of problems. It might seem that the problem is Auria or the ipad but that's not the case - the problem are power peaks.

So I bought a USB Y-Power adapter cable (see picture) to connect the two usb ports of the battery (2A and 1A) at the same time. I connected his Y-Cable to the Y- Cable that RME provides to power the Babyface. Now 48 Volt mode on two channels is possible without problems!

STAND ALONE MODE

Stand alone mode is an amazing feature. With an external recorder (like a Zoom H1, H2 or others) you can record two microphones (using the RME preamps!) and record the signal via the line-in of the recorder. This is the smallest setup I ever had to record audio in good quality. It doesn't need as much power as CC Mode but you can also run into problems when using Phantom Power in stand alone mode:

1A battery output connected to Babyface:

With 48 Volt engaged I experienced high pitched noises that are connected to the flashing LEDs of the Babyface. Every time there is some signal
that makes the LEDs light up there is a high pitched noise that is added to the signal. You have to listen carefully as it's only added if there is some sound and you might not hear it when there is silence. You can help yourself by selecting "OUT" on the Babyface and reduce the level to the minimum so the LEDs won't flash at all or you change the power connection to the 2A USB plug of the battery. I recorded the line signal from the phones output to feed my external recorder, so i didn't need the "OUT" to have any level at all.

2A battery output to Babyface:

No problems with 48 Volt Power. Enjoy!

In general: Once you set the levels for the input source at the Babyface - switch to display the output that you don't need (phones or out) and reduce the level to a minimum to have no flashing LEDs. This should prevent noises even if the power drops.

I hope I could help some of you. I'm absolutely amazed by the new possibilities of the Babyface and I can't wait for the Totalmix FX APP!

Best,

Raphael

PS: RME - if you still need some beta testers for the Total Mix App you are highly welcome wink!

http://www.moonrecords.org/Media/roughgear/rme-setup.jpeg
http://www.moonrecords.org/Media/roughgear/power-cable.jpg

Nice setup - have you tested how long the battery lasts? As long as the iPad battery? cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Not yet - I'm sick at the moment but will do some recording sessions next week and keep you posted.
(During my tests I powered the Babyface for a few hours and the battery still appears to be full...)

I did some testing during a rehearsal session, and the results were kind of disappointing.
I ran into several problems and I can't tell for sure if the problems are caused by the ipad, auria, the CC Kit (original), the battery pack (http://www.amazon.de/EasyAcc-10000mAh-P … 00BJCHH36/), the USB cable or the Babyface.

My setup:
2 condenser mics (mbho) powered with 48 Volt connected to Babyface, Babyface powered by easyacc 10.000 mAh battery pack with two usb outs (1xA2 1x1A) connected at the same time via a Y combination cable that allows power from two ports to feed one usb connector of the original RME Babyface USB cable. The other USB port of the RME Babyface cable was connected to the CCK Kit and then finally the CCK Kit was connected to the ipad. The ipad itself is running 6.1 has notifications, autolock, bluetooth and wifi switched off.

Problems:
This setup would be running and recording for minutes and then the screen would turn black - no recording left just the lock screen appears and the data is gone.
I could recreate this situation and noticed that timecode would stop counting in Auria before it freezes then after some time the lock screen would appear.
Sometimes I had no input in the input matrix of Auria but it shows me the input on the Babyface.
Sometimes my ipad just turned black with no lock screen and I need to restart it - after being not responsive (just black) for minutes.
Sometimes Auria didn't switch into USB mode and would stay in INT audio mode.
I also tried Cubasis a few times - which stops recording and freezes to crash as well.

After all this problems, I decided to reord the session via Standalone mode and an external line-in recorder (Zoom H1)
In standalone mode I also had high pitched noises - less with 44.1 and 48 Khz but lots with higher sample rates when connected to the two usb ports of the battery pack.
Using just one Battery port (1A) and a lower sample rate (44.1) made these noises disappear in 70 % of times.
Clicks and big overloads or just one channel working in  - this happened even with USB cable powered via the USB charger (white ipad 1A charger in the wall socket). 
The problem occured twice during the session and I needed to restart the Babyface three times in a row to get rid of it. (Audio samples will follow)

When I started out recording with the pad, my battery pack was loaded at  80% - when I decided to switch to stand alone it was at about 45 %.
I'm still testing, but it's kind of frustrating as there are several symptoms and they appear for several - not logical - reasons -  it's a bit like playing russian roulette.

Questions:
When you guys write about mobile operation "We tried one of those small 4,200 mAh for around 20 Euros. The Babyface worked for more than 6 hours while playing music from the iPad."
Have you also made tests with recording with condenser mics running on phantom power? In stand alone and CC Mode?
Do you have any recommendations or tips regarding a better, more powerful battery pack?
Most of them are made by Chinese brands and it's hard to get any specs of them besides the mAh and the USB ports.
Is there a certain order how to connect and start things?
(So far I connect the easyacc and the Babyface, power it up, connect the cc Kit and finally connect it with the ipad.)
Is it possible to power the Babyface with battery that is not connected to USB but to the power supply input? If yes, could you send me a link to one that would work?
I'm looking for a possibility to record with my ipad and the Babyface and two condenser mics at 48V in "the field" running on battery power.

Another question regarding monitoring latency:
When I turn Babyface in Stand alone mode and connect the optical out to in (to hear myself via phones) and set the sample rate to 44.1 Khz would it be possible to also use it with
Auria if Aurias sample rate is set to the same value of 44.1 Khz? This could be a solution for direct monitoring without latency of the program, right?

Can't wait for the RME Ipad App!

R.

PS: Maybe it's possible to include a "Volt-O-Meter" in the ipad app that checks if the device (Babyface- UCX) is running with enough power... wink

Hello,

and thanks for the detailed review. I would like to point out some things that might help to get your setup working better. The most important information is that the CCK is powered from the iPad, not from the other side (...battery). The effects that you experienced therefore are - most probably - caused by the voltage drop between battery and Babyface. You used an extension chord and the original Y cable, which takes the battery at the far other end, away from the Babyface. The ideal solution would be to insert the power from the battery via a B to B plug directly at the Babyface. See the photo in post 28 on page 1 of this thread. But please don't ask where to buy such a B to B plug for connection with a battery...

That said it might work better already by simply using a different USB cable. The one provided with the Babyface is good, but can detoriate over time. I had several dying slowly, mostly caused by internal breaking due to continous use and replugging.

Finally you are right by questioning the battery. I have several ones, and they all behave differently. They react differently on switching on phantom power, for example. The biggest one I have makes the BF go into flashing sqeek mode, until I switch it into charging mode (actually without being charged) - which is complely wrong according to the manual...but then it works. Chinese crap (sorry China).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the answer MC.
I think that my easyacc is the source of the problems regarding phantom power.
The USB Cables are brand new as I just purchased them and the Babyface two weeks ago.
In some tests I read that these battery packs deliver different Voltages (Ladestrom).
Some are about 4,5 V some are about 5,2 V. Is there a minimum that the babyface needs to run with 48V correctly?
Can this be the problem? How could I measure this myself? I do have a Voltometer, but If there is nothing connected, my battery won't charge wink

Right now I'm at another session and I do some recordings without battery power from only the 2A USB Output of the Babyface. It works fine but I found one problem that can occour (always happens with my setup) but that is easily solved:
If I power up the Babyface and set levels etc. and then plug in the CCK the input signal drops massively (over20db) and is unuseable. However, when I have the CCK already connected to the babyface and then power it up there is no problem and the setup works as it should. Therefore: Always plug the CCK to the Babyface before powering up!

Best,

R.

Do you think that the Babyface could be powered with 6 AA batteries each providing 1.2 Volts? With something like this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Batteriehalter-6 … 43ba32bb55

I could record two tracks in auria using dynamic mics without phantom power for 880 minutes (14.7 hours) with my easyacc 10000 mAh external battery pack. No problems - I just had to recharge the ipad twice. In the very end (when the power drops to zero) auria would mount and unmount the babyface. That's when I stopped.

@Roughgear
I have been wondering about the aqvox linear transformer (post 28)...or something equivallent. But as MC said, I would certainly try a much, much shorter lead on your setup before looking at another lipo battery.
I have been looking at the anker 20000 mha and the 3amp 10000 mha. I would be looking at a cable lenght of about 8-10 cm max..... like the output cable length of the aqvox.
I must say, I have been amazed in the past with how much voltage drop can occur in 1 meter of cable, and that was at 12 volts. No phantom power. And not audio related...but....

Here is where I think I am going: An aqvox linear transformer type thing, with a modded usb b cable (swappable to an anker or to the aqvox. But it would have to be a bloody good bit of soldering and a good connector!

It would be very interesting to see the current draw from your setup, but yes, you need bridge the conection from batery to bbfce, taking into consideration the test probe.
Have you tried just 1 mic?
regardless,  It must be very close to the max draw of your easyacc. That coupled with noise x long cable would be enough i guess (and it is a guess - i am no electrician) to drop out the bbfce.

Your posts have been very considered and are very helpfull. I am keen to know your progress. I am happy that  i stayed with the bbfce. I'll let you know how I go.
Tog.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

~ Albert Einstein

roughgear wrote:

Do you think that the Babyface could be powered with 6 AA batteries each providing 1.2 Volts? With something like this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Batteriehalter-6 … 43ba32bb55

Im not sure about that.

Have a look though this, there is some interesting info

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/

Tog.

~ Albert Einstein

Hello again,

I did some further test and I found a solution that works very well for me.

The weak point for field recordings is the buspower via USB when running the Babyface in CC mode connected to the ipad.
As stated above it works with an external akku pack if you are not using phantom power - but it can be very unreliable / unuseable if you need 48 Volt on both mic inputs.

MC from RME posted that the Babyface needs at least 5,7 Volts to work properly via the DC power jack in the back.
@ togril - the link above is the right direction, but you need more power. wink

I bought a battery holder for 6 AA batteries and put an DC Adaptor to it. For my test I used 6 Eneloop rechargeable batteries with 1900 mAh and 1,2 Volts. So I ended up with 6 x 1,2 = 7,2 Volts.
With this setup I could use the Babyface with two condensers and 48 Volts enabled for 260 Minutes! Over 4 hours of recording time.
If that's not enough for you, you can also get a 8 AA battery holder (8 x 1,2 = 9,6 Volts) or use non rechargeable batteries that are more powerful at 1,5 Volts. (6 x 1,5 is 9 V). Running it from a 9 Volt block battery is not possible by the way. (less than 5 minutes before switching off...)

For me this is the ideal solution, as these batteries are easily accessible and the battery holder and clip cost 3 euros all together.
And most important: no problems at all...

@ RME - If you would offer me a RME made battery holder of good quality (light metal case instead of cheap chinese plastic) for 6 or 8 AA
batteries to power the Babyface, the Quad mic, etc... I WOULD BUY IT. wink

Cheers,

R.

PS: Be aware to save your Auria Projects regularly. If the power drops and the babyface switches off then Auria switches to internal mic (track one) and stops recording the second track. The wav of the second track will later be empty!

Excelent result, roughgear.

~ Albert Einstein

Hi there all and thanks for all the info so far.
Wanting to add my experiences to the thread  both to get some help, and hopefully help others.

My Situation:
I'm going to a remote location in the amazon to do some field recordings.
I wanted the highest quality portable solution I could get.
I picked up a Babyface, new iPad(4/lightning), auria, and some easy acc 12000 mAh batteries.
Haven't received the batteries yet, so trying the setup out via the 2.4A wall charger for the iPad, through the RME Y-cable into the Babyface USB port.
I have the latest iOS (6.1.3) and firmware (204). I'm using the apple CCK.

Progress and Problems:
Connected everything as instructed in this post / PDF
iPad was constantly crashing, playback stopping, etc.
Turned off phantom power - all good! Recording and playback go for minutes without any crashes! Looked like it'd go longer but it's just testing phase right?
Because I'm using condensers that need the phantom I can't comment on whether I'm getting the digital distortion others have described - I'm just doing dry runs.

Decisions/The Future:
1) anyone else been able to get phantom power to work on iPad 4 / Babyface / cc mode VIA BUS POWER? I won't have the luxury of using AC mains where I'm going.
2) anyone else tried roughgear's solution? Any elegant / reliable or prefab'd products that do what he's described (>5.7 V of DC output, not requiring AC power and enough capacity / mAh to run for 4 hrs plus). It'd be a real plus if this dream unit was itself rechargeable so I wouldn't have to lug around a AA charger or heaps of non- rechargeable AA's.

Awesome work roughgear...lets take it to the next level!
Otherwise I'll have to get the best large diaphragm dynamics I can find, settle for something like the rode M3's, or go big and throw down on some Telefunken ela m 260's with the LiPo field recording setup (spine chill...)

I leave next week so any advice/experience greatly appreciated!
Ps my backup is the rode iXY into my iPhone - nice little package...

Just had an alternative workaround - if anyone knows of a reliable battery powered / rechargeable phantom power supply? Could be just as effective?

And also MC - these issues with Bus power and phantom power are definitely voltage related right? No quick fix firmware upgrade in the works? Doesn't sound like a firmware fixable problem but I wouldn't be surprised by anything you guys fix...keep it up!

Yes, an external phantom power supply would also solve these issues. The firmware can not solve those problems. Lipos are nice and cheap, but limited to +5V (higher voltages are avalable, but quite expensive). It would be possible to use two of them in serial to get 10V, then go into the power supply socket of the BF. But that requires a self-made USB to USB to power connector cable...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the quick reply MC.

Thinking more and more that the portable phantom supply is going to be the best workaround. Anyone had any success with this so far?

I've ordered the dual supply from Denecke, letchall know how she goes...

86 (edited by garry 2013-07-02 20:57:13)

my mobile setup
Motorola Xoom tablet
Audio Evolution pro
RME Babyface
generic 5000mah USB battery
RME Babyface
Rode NT4
http://i43.tinypic.com/m7fhhs.jpg

I also add on a focusrite octopre via ADAT to give me 10 channels recording if required. (but need mains for that)
On full charge I usually get around 4 and a half hours until the USB battery dies, and so far not had a single issue (i could use a 9v battery inside the NT4 but i find it seems a bit noisier that way)

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

Nice setup Gaz...impressive that you're able to keep it going via bus power while providing phantom. Maybe it has something to do with android vs iOS? Anyone else on either platform have luck like Garry here?

I ended up going with the Telefunken field recording set of ela m260 mics - no need for bus power and it has a 100 Ah LiPo battery with USB out - should be able to keep everything going for like 10 hrs! I'm setting it up this arvo, I'll post a pic n let y'all know how it stands up.

Very hopeful right now - these mics with the RME pres/ADC's should make for a killer portable setup...fingers crossed its stable enough!

I just ordered a lipo pack with amazing 14.400 mAh capacity and quite low price (below 50 Euros) from Amazon. The special thing about it is that it not only provides USB output (5V) but also +9V and +12 V output (I either missed this one before or it is a newer product). I expect this one to fully solve all the above problems. Will report on Tuesday.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So here it is:

English:

http://www.laptopmate.com/Anker-Astro-P … 79AN14K-BA

German:

http://de.ianker.com/product/79AN14K-BEA

It is a bit bigger and heavier than usual (380 gramms), BUT also has a normal power output that can be switched between 9V and 12 V. The UCX ran nearly 5 hours with it, the Babyface is currently under test, but I expect more than 8 hours.

Fact is: using the normal power supply instead of injecting power into the USB cable at the iPad side gets rid of any problem, like with phantom power.

German price at Amazon is around 45 Euros, which IMHO is quite low for the given features, power and flexibility in usage.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

it's a new product and I was about to order it when i realized that the babyface works best with an external power supply. THen I realized, that for my work I'll be more flexible with an external battery holder.

I have some new test results for you:

The Babyface powered by 8 Eneloop rechargeable 1.2 Volt AA batteries will work for aprox. 420 min. (422 min. for me to be precise) which means 7 hours(!) with two phantom powered condenser mics.
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/6156 … 29-x-59-mm

(As posted, it worked for 260 min. with 6 x AA batteries and phantom power for me) So - no need to buy an external phantom power supply which means extra cables and so on...

I also bought a new akku pack with a smaller form factor (and less power) than the one I had used before.
It's an Anker with 5600 mAh and I was able to record with the Babyface and two dynamic mics for 420 minutes.
http://de.ianker.com/anker-astro-extern … 3V1-B8P56A

All I  would really need now is Totalmix FX for iOS wink Hurry - Summer is almost gone... wink

Best,

Roughgear

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/6156 … 29-x-59-mm

Nice device.  Cannot be shipped to Australia, however.  Probably the wall-wart needs electrical safety certification....

Pity.

Yes, all my attempts to get an anker astro pro device (like this or the pro2) have been thwarted due to location. (Australia).

~ Albert Einstein

I bought mine at Amazon...

Babyface playing music now for 14 hours. Battery indicates still half charged. Yikes!

Update: I missed the point where playback stopped. Must have been around 19 (nineteen) hours...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi all, can't seem to get babyface to work in CC mode with ipad.  Usually I can find solutions on line but have not found anyone experiencing the same problem - so here it is:

Using an ipad 4 (lightening connector) with iOS 6.1.3.  RME Babyface snow edition with firmware 204.  Apple camera connection kit (lightening to USB).

I can put the babyface into class compliant mode, and also connect to external power supply.  When I connect to the ipad, the signal disappears from the headphone out and the speakers, but does not pass through to the babyface.  Also when I push play in iTunes, the program just hangs without playing and a few seconds later resets to stop.  I understand that the ipad volume should not function when the babyface is connected, but I can still move the volume slider in iTunes.  Also the hard volume buttons on the side of the ipad will move the volume slider up and down (though there is no audible effect since the actual signal is not showing up anywhere).

I know that the babyface is in class compliant mode because when I switch it out of CC mode, the ipad shows the 'I don't recognize this device' window.  I also know that the external power (from wall plug - not battery pack) is sufficient because when I pull the power the ipad tells me there isn't enough power to run the device. 

I tried reinstalling the firmware and also setting the clock to internal 44.1 using fire face USB settings on my Mac.  No change in behaviour.  I've followed the cable hook up instructions as outlined in the RME PDF instructions and gotten the same result.

With everything connected, I have checked the ipad general settings to confirm that the camera connection kit is being recognized and it is.

Just for the record - the babyface works perfectly with my Mac...

So I'm kind of stuck!  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear from you!  Thanks in advance,
John

Did you try connecting the Babyface to the CCK first, then the CCK to the iPad?
Max

Hi Max,  Thanks for the quick response!
Yes, I did try that order, and just to be sure I tried it again right now.  Same problem, but I did notice that when I plugged the CCK to the ipad, the right input channel on the babyface lit up to the peak LED then sat idle.  I wonder if the ipad needs a hard reset or something of that nature?

Thanks again!
John

Yes, please try a hard reset, that's a good idea. Sometimes the sound system of the iPad crashes, I had something similar a long time ago with the old connector.
Best regards,
Max

Hi John,

are you connecting the external power supply with the usb cable? I had the same problem with my ipad4...
Powering the Babyface directly did the job!

Gavin

jrosefield wrote:

Hi all, can't seem to get babyface to work in CC mode with ipad.  Usually I can find solutions on line but have not found anyone experiencing the same problem - so here it is:

Using an ipad 4 (lightening connector) with iOS 6.1.3.  RME Babyface snow edition with firmware 204.  Apple camera connection kit (lightening to USB).

I can put the babyface into class compliant mode, and also connect to external power supply.  When I connect to the ipad, the signal disappears from the headphone out and the speakers, but does not pass through to the babyface.  Also when I push play in iTunes, the program just hangs without playing and a few seconds later resets to stop.  I understand that the ipad volume should not function when the babyface is connected, but I can still move the volume slider in iTunes.  Also the hard volume buttons on the side of the ipad will move the volume slider up and down (though there is no audible effect since the actual signal is not showing up anywhere).

I know that the babyface is in class compliant mode because when I switch it out of CC mode, the ipad shows the 'I don't recognize this device' window.  I also know that the external power (from wall plug - not battery pack) is sufficient because when I pull the power the ipad tells me there isn't enough power to run the device. 

I tried reinstalling the firmware and also setting the clock to internal 44.1 using fire face USB settings on my Mac.  No change in behaviour.  I've followed the cable hook up instructions as outlined in the RME PDF instructions and gotten the same result.

With everything connected, I have checked the ipad general settings to confirm that the camera connection kit is being recognized and it is.

Just for the record - the babyface works perfectly with my Mac...

So I'm kind of stuck!  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear from you!  Thanks in advance,
John

So, I am still not getting enough power.   I know the BF is in CC mode because the LED's run up as MC says.   I have tried a PS RadioShack made up for me, and get the insufficient power message.   I also tried using the PS for my MultiFace II, Jeff at synthax (US distributor) said it should work, but....either it doesn't or I'm doing something wrong. 

I connect the PS to the BF, the USB cable to the BF, the Camera Connection kit to the USB cable, and then finally plug in to the iPad 3, IOS 6, with my case removed to make sure I get a good CCK connection.    It still gets the 'insufficient power' message with either psu.

I 've ordered the Anker Astro Power Pack power pack, and the USB splitter cable MC mentioned from Amazon, so I can try that.   But really, all I really want is a plug-in-the-US-wall-socket power supply that RME knows works.   

Can I buy this?   The folks at Sweetwater can't seem to help me; Jeff at Synthax has been corresponding with me, but I think he's given up; evidently I failed the intelligence test on this one.

I honestly just want an appliance that works, and am tempted to buy an Apogee duet, but...I'm very loyal to RME, and prefer them; but I don't want to have to be clever here; I'm don't do music for a living anymore; have a day job, and I just want to buy something, plug it in, and have it work.     I don't at all mind the protocol for plugging in the CCK to BF first; this seems like a very reasonable workaround for some incredible functionality the BF wasn't originally designed for. 

(oh yeah, I did upgrade BF firmware). 

Is there a link to a power supply that I can buy that just works?   Or is it possible the MF II PSU does work, and I'm just doing something else wrong?

It may be that the whole combination of used accesories, or maybe just the BF alone, does not operate as expected. The boot sequence then fails. You can easily find out by using the included (!) BF USB splitter cable, and connect a USB power supply (like your iPad's one) to the BF so that it wakes up first,  before connecting everything to the iPad.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME