Topic: Multiface II and new computer

Hi

my beloved Sony Vaio is getting old, and I will need to replace it soon.

I'm looking for a solution (laptop), allowing me to keep my Multiface II.

I know I could buy a desktop and a PCI card
but due to the gigs, I'm rather laptop based.

I have also an iMac (about 2 years old) at my disposal.

Can you suggest a solution or an alternative?

I know it is a recurrent question

Thank you

www.andresmarcos.com
www.wondermachine.net
www.soundcloud.com/andres-marcos

Re: Multiface II and new computer

You'd need a laptop with Expresscard interface (for the HDSPe Expresscard) or a current Macbook with Thunderbolt and the Sonnet TB-Expresscard adapter.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by bbeats 2012-12-18 10:40:09)

I am curious to know if the sonnet TB- expresscard adaptor will work on pc laptops with the thunderbolt connection? Has anyone tried this yet?

Thanks
one more question:
And what about a USB to PCMCIA adapter?
I made a quick search and there are quite a lot on the market.
If nobody pointed me to this solution, I assume it will not work.
Can you tell me why?

www.andresmarcos.com
www.wondermachine.net

The available solutions (AFAIK) only pass-through USB to the PCMCIA slot. There is no USB to PCI or PCIe bridge, so an adapter that really drives an ExpressCard or CardBus card can not exist.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you
so you mean that something similar could work with my Multiface II PCMCIA and the new laptop?
[img align=l]http://discountcablesusa.com/usb-pcmcia.jpg[/img]

www.andresmarcos.com
www.wondermachine.net

Please reread MC's comment.This is a USB device, and not likely to work correctly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you

If I understand right, there is no way to keep the PCMCIA card of my Multiface, even with Thunderbolt?

The Sonnet adapter works only with Express cards.

So I would have to buy in every case an Express Card.

Sorry to ask again, but I'm choosing a new laptop today, and I just want to be 100% sure.

www.andresmarcos.com
www.wondermachine.net

me again...

will this work with a multiface II (pcmcia) in an express card 34 slot?

https://www.digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2 … kel=255619

thanks

www.andresmarcos.com
www.wondermachine.net

Did you find an answer yet?

I also own a multiface (first generation and a pcmcia card).
Not sure how much an thunderbold to the new pcmcia card adapter costs but I really don't need all the feature of the multiface anyway. bought it ages ago when latency was an issue with most other cards. so basically before spending lots of money on an adapter and a new card I would rather go for another product. However if there was way to use my gear with an adapter I would be more than happy to go ahead.

bump.

I have a new Mac Mini with Firewire 800, Thunderbolt and USB 3. Is there any way at all to connect my Multiface to it? Or do I either have to buy another interface or another computer? My old PC laptop died.

not sire about the thunderbolt or usb3 solution. my hammerfall dsp pcmcia card works perfect in a pci to pcmcia adapter (cheapest, new, from ebay).

13 (edited by pflo99 2013-09-23 02:38:07)

Now im really confused.....a pcmcia card> adapter> pci card >adapter> Thunderbolt?  Why not just is a pci  into a thunderbolt adapter?

I have the pcmcia card (the wider one for microsoft) and the desktop card that plugs into the back of windows machine. I now have a mac mini. So both those cards are useless now I guess?

I need to buy a PCi card, and a PCi card to Thunderbolt adapter....right?

14 (edited by ostrat 2013-10-01 01:26:14)

I too was in a similar dilema since my faithful Lenovo T61 developed display card problem & called it a day! So I decided to buy a used laptop which had an expresscard slot. I then looked at a few used Lenovo T520's &  these have  Expresscard/34 slots.!  Then while doing a little Google search I stumbled upon this site, with very useful information.

http//www.everymac.com & here are the excerpts;

What is ExpressCard/34? Is it compatible with PC Cards?

The ExpressCard/34 expansion slot is 34 mm wide and 75 mm long, and is not backwards compatible with Type I or II PC Cards, which are 54 mm wide and 85.6 mm long.

According to ExpressCard.org, ExpressCard/34 is:

All ExpressCard slots will accommodate modules designed to use either USB 2.0, or the emerging PCI-Express standards.
The same website provides an informative Q&A as well as an in-depth summary of the standard that may be of interest.

What is the difference between ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54? Speed?

ExpressCard.org provides a Q&A with the difference between ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54:

There are two sizes of ExpressCard module. One is 34 mm wide (ExpressCard/34) and the other is 54 mm (ExpressCard/54). Both modules are 75 mm long and 5 mm high. Host systems can provide any combination of slots for either width of module. It should be noted that the 34 mm module has the advantage that it will also work in the slot designed for the 54 mm wide modules but not vice versa.
To summarize, the difference between ExpressCard/34 and ExpresCard/54 is width, not speed. The MacBook Pro has an ExpressCard/34 expansion slot that only is compatible with ExpressCard/34 cards, and not the wider ExpressCard/54 standard.

ExpressCard.org also has photographs of the cards for your reference.

I hope i've understood this correctly. I presume I can use a MF-2 with a T520 laptop with the PCIe card? I also hope this would answer some of the questions & problems many of you may have had or having with your MF-2!

Cheers