1 (edited by Nico 2013-01-15 19:07:04)

Topic: Multiface II + ADI-8 Pro

I use a Multiface II with an ADI-8 Pro (non DS) which as I understand is only good up to 48 kHz. Multiface II is master with word clock output. I decided to try 88.2 kHz operation to see if it would somehow be possible and would like some clarification what exactly is happening when I choose the higher sampling rate.

My observations so far is that some input channels on the ADI-8 are relocated in Totalmix when selecting the higher sample rate, the gain on the input channels of the ADI-8 is reduced when selecting 88.2 kHz and the gain of the input channels of the Multiface is reduced when selecting 44.1 kHz.
Also, the Totalmix submix assignments seem to be unique to each sample rate.

What I am wondering is am I actually able to input any audio to my computer at 88.2 kHz with the ADI-8 connected and if so how does the process work? Is the Hammerfall DSP driver somehow enabling a DS mode in my older ADI-8 Pro, or am I just messing with things that should be left alone and stick to the 44.1- 48 kHz operation?

Re: Multiface II + ADI-8 Pro

To make it short: This won't work... cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Multiface II + ADI-8 Pro

To make it slightly longer: I noticed this too and IIRC in fact the ADI-8 output converters are capable of X2 conversion speeds but the input converters are not. However, the way the output is matrixed at speeds above 48k is not really functional; from what I gathered at the time I looked into this, it's like the output conversion is split between channels... it's basically not designed to be used that way and you're not getting a proper conversion at anything beyond 48k.

However, given a different firmware, I've always though that it might be possible to at least get > 48k output conversion from this unit, but then, there may not be a way to re-assign the front panel switches...

Stick to the short answer. HeadScratch

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1