1 (edited by MatsHelgesson 2013-05-30 22:57:26)

Topic: Feature request: Main out clone

Hi all,

I do a lot of live recording and live sound using the brilliant UFX as a main interface. It sounds lovely and me and my recording partner always get compliments on the sound quality. These events get broadcasted on one of Sweden's biggest news papers' web site. We do multitrack recording so it's possible to remix properly afterwards but I'd love to get the ability to "clone" the main output to a different output pair (say ADAT 15/16), so that I can make a live recording of the FOH mix with DUREC or the loopbacked outputs, without being troubled by the PA output EQ and main out fader moves. It'd be a life saver when doing corporate FOH work so you can ouput the mains to an external recorder, for instance a television station or radio. Or just recording to a USB stick.

My suggestion would be to implement a feature in Totalmix FX called "clone output", so you get the exact same mix to a different output pair. You can do fader moves with the inputs and playback channels, but the output gets copied without output fader moves, EQ, compression and such things. The effects and fader moves are independently controlled on that channel. Thus you can deliver a USB memory to the client right after the event, premixed and ready. Say with output compression and a bit of high end boost and high pass.

Is that possible? I figure it'd just be a duplication of the mix of one set of outputs. Oh it would be awesome to clone to 3-4 stereo outputs, if not more. Each with their different EQ/compressor/gate settings.

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

Re: Feature request: Main out clone

Hi Mats,

Can't you do this already within TM?  Set up the main output with the rough mix you want and then copy and paste to other outputs.  Then activate the global trim function so any fader movements at the inputs apply to all the outputs.

I would abuse the Cue function. Mixdown to ADAT 15/16 then activate Cue on them - Main Out mirrors that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I would abuse the Cue function. Mixdown to ADAT 15/16 then activate Cue on them - Main Out mirrors that.

Well it's a workaround and it would work well for a lot of situations, but it's not the best way if you want several clones with different EQ and compressor settings (say one backup recording, one really hard compressed to TV, one to radio, one to a cue speaker off stage). Is this a hard thing to implement on the settings part of the output pairs in totalmix? There's room smile

Using the global trim is a big no no if you have aux sends for musicians on stage.

Mats Helgesson

5 (edited by neirbod 2013-05-31 18:37:22)

MatsHelgesson wrote:

Using the global trim is a big no no if you have aux sends for musicians on stage.

Except I believe the new beta TM allows you to exclude any outputs (e.g., those feeding monitors for the musicians) from the global trim function. I have not tried this yet myself, but I believe this is how this new function works based on what Matthias wrote in thread about the new TM - "No Trim: This new button found in the settings panel of the hardware outputs can exclude the channel(s) from the Trim function."

This would not be as elegant as the new feature you are suggesting, but could be a viable option.

Moved to TM FX forum.

Yes, the copy hardware output feature is not easy to implement. It was on our list several times already and had been shifted back again. There is no doubt that this feature is useful and we do want to add it. Give us time...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

+1 It would be great for me, too.

I need two outputs with exactly the same Mix, but different eq due to totally different headphones...

MC wrote:

Moved to TM FX forum.

Yes, the copy hardware output feature is not easy to implement. It was on our list several times already and had been shifted back again. There is no doubt that this feature is useful and we do want to add it. Give us time...

Very cool cool . Thought the thread had gone amiss, just didn't see it in this forum...

Mats Helgesson

Well, +1 me on this.
I do engineering for sports radio broadcasts. half the time I'm monitoring IFB's, phone callers, producers, etc. The other half of the time I'd like to monitor my main output, or my $mix out to the network(s) as a sanity check.
Ideally I'd like to clone the MAIN OUT (my feed to two different broadcast networks, simultaneously) to PHONES 11/12. I use PHONES 9/10 as my custom mix. All the remote producers, wireless mic's off-air, random feeds, etc. But I don't have a way to quickly monitor my main mix out to the network. In the old days, I'd build an Aux send on my console for my own phones mix. My Allen&Heath console had both XLR and TRS outputs. I'd send the XLR's to my ISDN/Transmit codec, and send the TRS outs to a headphone amp. Simple, and easy.
It just seems clunky to build a "Y" cable on the main outs of my interface, and run it back into a channel, and then use a phones out to monitor 'just that single channel'.
Any other suggestions to mirror the main out?
Kelly

We have the above Cue workaround, and a quick 'Copy Submix' function. That just takes a few seconds and will do it in most situations.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME