Topic: Problems with good old multiface

I have two Multiface I cards, both connected via pci cards to my pc, but recently I have problem, if I move fw cable on first box just a little bit often all channels on that card clip and explode in burst of noise! After the noise stops and everything gets back to normal, two cards are out of sync. I changed cable two-three times, but the problem stays. So I asume that firewire port on box must be damaged? Is this possible to replace, maybe I could do it by myself?
Thanks

Re: Problems with good old multiface

Have you synchronized the two devices with a wordclock cable?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have been using toslink-spdif connection for long time, but just recently bought word clock cable, although later on I've noticed later its 50 ohms, not 75 as is recommended. But nevertheless the cards tend to get out of sync. Funny thing is that midi information that goes from card 1 also gets out of sync with the audio outputs from same card (card1).

Did anyone maybe found solution for this kind of issues? I just reinstalled Win 7 64 bit, downloaded latest rme drivers, opened up Cubase 7 and this is what happens again: two cards are out of sync on some buffer rates. For example they stay in sync if buffer size is 1024 , but they are out of sync on 2048, and sound is completly gone if I select 256, but it's back on 128 and  similiar... This also happens with midi. Midi on first card goes out of sync with audio on the same  first card which is master. Thanks!

What exactly goes out of sync? How are two exactly connected and synced? Which one is clock master?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, thanks for answering. Well I tried connecting them via  toslink-spdif cable and also with word clock cable. Multiface 1 is set up as master and it's checked to use internal clock and unit 2 is set up as a slave, autosync. When i open project in cubase which has for example 16 channels those 16 channels are routed to 16 outputs of cards. the 8 channels from card 2 + midi output from both cards, 1 and 2, are delayed. As I said befor when I mangle the buffer size and use reset from cubase menu the things line up, but  that's not working on every buffer size.