Topic: midi timing madness

Hi,

I have an HDSP9632 in an i-7-3820 3.6GHZ pc with 32 gb ram etc.  I run plogue bidule as a vst host. the audio goes from ADAT of RME to an ADAT 24 bridge (Digidesign) and then into a Digidesign 192 connected to a mac pro running pro tools 8.

The audio is all fine ...no probs...it's the midi that's doing weird things...and I'm not sure it's the RME cards fault or the Emagic Unitor 8 interface to my mac.

I start a session in PT8 it has seven midi tracks. I have seven instruments inside , say, Omisphere or Kontakt 5. If I play back the piece with tracks 6 and 7 muted then all is ok...the timing of the midi notes etc is ok. But if i unmute track 6, some odd timings start to happen, then if I unmute track 7 it gets worse. The click from PT 8 stays constant in time, but the midi tracks play back unevenly , sometimes, together, sometimes not, too fast and too slow...unmusical and totally useless.

There is no problem with audio driver latency or cpu overload...all that is well under control.

I exported the midi file from PT and played it back from within Plogue Bidule with their simple midi player, and EVERYTHING IS IN TIME and fine. So I am trying to find out which is to blame...Unitor 8, or RME or PT HD

If you can shed any light on this I would be very grateful.

Thanks