Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

jim.noseworthy wrote:

Hi:

Thanks for your info.

I am running at 44,100 HZ. I'm pretty sure that I am not in class compliant mode since all of the internal stuff works and since I can connect to the BabyFace Pro FS with my X-Touch.

Thanks all over the place.

@jim.noseworthy, have you gotten this sorted? If not, can you do a printscreen?

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Hi, I'm curious...
When I press the pad button located on the analog input 1/2 a small click is heard inside the audible unit and when I turn off the button the same thing..

this is normal ? I have searched for information but can't find anything.

https://i.postimg.cc/yNZbKtty/Pad-Button.png

https://soundcloud.com/endocriner
Babyface pro fs, H110M-D rev.4211, W10, Bitwig 4.0.1, Adam A7

Yes, that's normal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes, that's normal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

Thanx !

1,105 (edited by Dr. Gonzo 2022-11-23 01:46:09)

I consider to buy a Babyface Pro FS for it's portability and the ability to use it with usb bus power.

For now i use the Fireface UCX with an the ARC USB. With the ARC USB i am able to use the wheel in 0.5 dB steps everywhere on the master fader.

Is something like this possible with the wheel of the Babyface Pro FS for the channels 1/2? (with Totalmix FX of course, not in standalone operation)

And is it possible to display/control all the channels ADAT 1-8 or is this limited to ADAT 1/2?

I can't find anything about that in the user manual.

Thanks!

I've just got a new Babyface Pro FS and it's sitting with me staring at it in its shrinkwrap.

I haven't torn it off because I've come to realize I want at least 4 mic pres. I do the singer songwriter bit, and want to be able to record with a friend, and want both of us to have vocal and guitar mics

Can anyone let me know what external pres you are successfully using with the Babyface? And what RTL you get with what computer? Low latency is extremely important to me.

And forgive a stupid question: Can the 2 instrument inputs which can be set to +4 dBu or -10 dBV, be used with an external pre  for a mic instead of using XLR inputs? My guess is no, and I need to use ADAT for more inputs.

I'm planning on getting a new silicon mac and think it will be fast enough to skip using DSP, but right now I'm on a 2017 imac i5 2TB, and a 2015 macbook pro i5 solid state drive.

With the cost of a good pre adding to the cost of the babyface should I even try to go the external pre route?

I'm considering keeping on the shrinkwrap, returning it, and going for the 802 with it's USB interface and 4 mic pres, exactly what I want. But that unit not availbale right now, is 7 or 8 years old, and I'm guessing it's on the list for the next rme fs update. I'd hate to have buyers remorse at that $2K US price in a few months if they bring out a new version! But that's what I'm leaning towards doing. Can anyone comment on real world latency they get with a mac using the 802?

rockpapersizzors wrote:

And forgive a stupid question: Can the 2 instrument inputs which can be set to +4 dBu or -10 dBV, be used with an external pre  for a mic instead of using XLR inputs? My guess is no, and I need to use ADAT for more inputs.

Yes, they can:) They are unbalanced, but that has not presented me with any problems.

Dr. Gonzo wrote:

I consider to buy a Babyface Pro FS for it's portability and the ability to use it with usb bus power.
For now i use the Fireface UCX with an the ARC USB. With the ARC USB i am able to use the wheel in 0.5 dB steps everywhere on the master fader.
Is something like this possible with the wheel of the Babyface Pro FS for the channels 1/2? (with Totalmix FX of course, not in standalone operation)
And is it possible to display/control all the channels ADAT 1-8 or is this limited to ADAT 1/2?
I can't find anything about that in the user manual.

The wheel of the BF Pro always uses 0.5 dB steps.

ADAT channels 3 to 8 can not be visualized or controlled from the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello, I just got a new RME Babyface Pro FS Interface and it worked for one day. I'm not sure what the issue is but on day one after I set everything up it worked fine, only issue I had was when i tried to run the Native Instruments program I got no sound, the program froze 2 times as well, the last time I tried it made my laptop make a loud sound as if my fan was being over powered so I decided to leave it alone and I just played music from youtube and my mp3 files. Later that night when I turned my laptop off I noticed the interface still had some LED lights on so I unplugged the unit. The next day I turned my laptop on and I had no audio for some reason from the interface. I've tried various things to get it to work, I even talked to tech support at sweetwater where I got it from and they couldn't seem to figure it out either. I've seen this has been an issue with some other users as well and I would like some help, I don't know what to do and my mind is blown that it messed up after one day of use. I only use headphones for now and I've seen some of the videos about total mix as well and I'm unsure if anything can be fixedto get audio playback,the sound quality was amazing and I'm upset I've spent so much time trying to get it to just play audio back.

I have the original Babyface. I was able to install Total Mix and RME settings on my M1 Mac mini using rosetta. BabyFace shows up in usb hardware on the mini but it does not show in Logic Pro audio or mac audio midi setup. Any suggestions appreciated.

1,111 (edited by Outdoor Miner 2022-12-17 13:47:51)

Hi all, I've been trying to get hold of a UCX II with no luck for a while so have bought a Babyface Pro FS in the meantime. When the UCX II is more available I plan to get one to have more I/O.

I was thinking that when that time comes I might use the FS in another room but was wondering if it would also be possible to connect it to the UCX II via ADAT to make use of the 4 FS inputs when needed? From looking at the manual I think this should work but having never really used ADAT before I'm not 100% sure so confirmation would be gratefully received.

Are there likely to be any headaches with this use case? Would the FS have to be reconfigured every time it went from being used as an interface in one room to an expansion in another and if so, is this fast enough to do?

Thanks a lot smile

Outdoor Miner wrote:

Hi all, I've been trying to get hold of a UCX II with no luck for a while so have bought a Babyface Pro FS in the meantime. When the UCX II is more available I plan to get one to have more I/O.

I was thinking that when that time comes I might use the FS in another room but was wondering if it would also be possible to connect it to the UCX II via ADAT to make use of the 4 FS inputs when needed? From looking at the manual I think this should work but having never really used ADAT before I'm not 100% sure so confirmation would be gratefully received.

Are there likely to be any headaches with this use case? Would the FS have to be reconfigured every time it went from being used as an interface in one room to an expansion in another and if so, is this fast enough to do?

Thanks a lot smile

Hello
Afaik you can use two channels of ADAT in standalone mode (manual starts at page 90 for this), so you can route two inputs (mic and/or line) to the first two ADAT outputs. When you start the FS without computer connection it will enter standalone mode, so there should be no problems.

Thanks! I wasn't totally clear from the wording if some of that section of the manual was specific to Macs (I'm on Windows). I also wasn't sure if the 'only channels 1/2' part was referring to direct control via the Babyface FS's own hardware or if the others were available for routing via Totalmix.

That sounds promising though as a worst case scenario, being able to use at least an extra two inputs in a pinch will be a useful option to have if I manage to get hold of a UCX II. The automatic switching makes it sound like it should be pretty painless, which is great.

Outdoor Miner wrote:

I also wasn't sure if the 'only channels 1/2' part was referring to direct control via the Babyface FS's own hardware or if the others were available for routing via Totalmix.

Well, in TotalMix you can of course set everything up as you please, I thought you were interested in using the BF standalone. But if you have a computer in the location of the Babyface too, you can direct all four inputs to whatever ADAT outputs you like:)

Hi all first post here. I have been using my Babyface Pro FS for about 6 months now. Just updated the firmware and also the flash update to build 125 (a lower number than previous?). Now I get signals on the mixer as normal going out to monitors but no sound. I have reached out to RME but have not heard back yet. Was wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Windows 11

ebmmbongo wrote:

Well, in TotalMix you can of course set everything up as you please, I thought you were interested in using the BF standalone. But if you have a computer in the location of the Babyface too, you can direct all four inputs to whatever ADAT outputs you like:)

Ah, excellent! Sounds like I have an excuse to keep the BF Pro FS once I get my hands on a UCX II smile

Thanks so much for the clarification, I thought it would be the case but having no direct experience of ADAT in practice I wasn't totally confident in my understanding.

willtril20 wrote:

Hi all first post here. I have been using my Babyface Pro FS for about 6 months now. Just updated the firmware and also the flash update to build 125 (a lower number than previous?). Now I get signals on the mixer as normal going out to monitors but no sound. I have reached out to RME but have not heard back yet. Was wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
Windows 11

You must explain how one can think that a lower number is an update...

Now the question is what did you do exactly. With 'updated the firmware' you seem to mean 'updated the driver'. To which version? Then the firmware update to 125 - that version is found in a FUT dated 11_2019. No wonder your newer BF Pro FS is no longer working correctly.

So download the latest FUT again and try to update back to 201.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
willtril20 wrote:

Windows 11

You must explain how one can think that a lower number is an update...

Now the question is what did you do exactly. With 'updated the firmware' you seem to mean 'updated the driver'. To which version? Then the firmware update to 125 - that version is found in a FUT dated 11_2019. No wonder your newer BF Pro FS is no longer working correctly.

So download the latest FUT again and try to update back to 201.

I will explain. I didn't think a lower number was an update, I do understand as a person with a number of brain cells that updates are catalogued with higher numbers than previous versions. RME seemingly did think a lower number was an update.

I went to the website. I downloaded the 'new' FUT and driver (as I always have done in the past). The 'new' number was 125 and I went ahead and pressed 'update' which is when my problems began. Silly me, I thought RME knew more than me about updates of their products than I did. Whoops.

Per your suggestion, I went today and downloaded again. Suddenly it's 201 instead. I did nothing differently, but apparantly RME made a change since yesterday.

Thanks for your suggestion though because it worked.

Hi
I dont think rme did anything, but I once nearly downgraded by mistake. I used to save my downloads to my desktop, and one time I had forgotten to remove an old fut so when my computer asked if I wanted to download the file again i declined. Running the fut I got a message asking if I wanted to go from 178 to 156 or dsomething similar, which is when I realized  my mistake.
So, probably that happened, glad you got it up to 201 again

Hello,

I sold my UAD Apollo Twin USB and was going to get the Babyface Pro FS but to my surprise, it`s not available anymore at Thomann.
Yesterday it was and now --> "The product RME Babyface Pro FS is regretfully no longer available".
It`s out of stock almost everywhere at the moment.

Is there going to be a new version or is it discontinued?

If it's sold out in your area then you might wait a bit - the next ones will be available in February. From then on availability should be back to pre chip crisis level. Fingers crossed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,
I get a distorted/grainy signal into my DAW when I record with low input gain on my babyface pro. It gets increasingly better the higher the gain is set.
This is what it sounds like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KfInO6 … share_link
The input is clean, so it happens afterwards...
Any ideas?

1,123 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-14 14:23:33)

leyephelis wrote:

Hi,
I get a distorted/grainy signal into my DAW when I record with low input gain on my babyface pro. It gets increasingly better the higher the gain is set.
This is what it sounds like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KfInO6 … share_link
The input is clean, so it happens afterwards...
Any ideas?

You probably have set the DAW to 16bit recordings, right? If so, change it to 24bit and the issue should be solved. It’s a normal behaviour with quiet / low level recordings using 16bits, especially with such good, low noise preamps as the BFpro has (in combination with a low noise mic). It’s the quantisation noise being higher with 16bits (maybe someone else here can explain it really?).

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

thanks, makes sense. I will try it...

hello here we are again I have a question

I have set my BF to run at 48100kHz so far so good. what i don't understand is why now any track i put in my DAW with volume level set to 0db is always red, even tracks that are mastered to -1db are now red exceeding 1.5db... i don't understand if Does anyone understand if this is normal or not?

It also turns red on my TotalMIx Fx

ASIO not present after update

Babyface Pro FS
Driver version 1.225
Hardware Revision 203

RME ASIO no longer appears in the ASIO column of Cubase Pro 12 and foobar.
Windows 10 Home 64bit 22H2

Please go back to 1.224.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Windows USB driver 1.225 had to be withdrawn as changes to the system directories required by MS caused ASIO to no longer work. We have to examine and fix that before it will be available again. See also here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 48#p197248

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Copuld you please try version 1.226?

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … n_1226.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

1.226 doesn't show ASIO either.
There is no Boost of Inst 3/4 in of Babyface Pro FS.

Of course not. It comes with TM FX 1.79 (official release), and you have to use the 1.80 (from the beta thread) as mentioned in the readme to see Boost. Plus firmware 203.

ASIO is a different topic, and disappointing as it works on our computers. So we need to find out what is different with yours.

Are you a user with restricted rights or logged in as Admin?

Could you check (not edit/modify) some registry entries that I show you?

Did you reboot the computer with a full reboot, means switching it off in-between? Maybe Windows Fast Startup is the issue here...

Edit: Cubase 12, Foobar 2000 and AIMP no longer recognize ASIO with this new driver. Everything else that I tested still works. We're on it...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Funktioniert auch nicht mit:
Samplitude Pro X6 Suite Build 22072
Samplitude Pro X7 Suite Build 22560
Windows 11 Pro 22621.1194, Ryzen 9 5900X

zurück zu 1.224

Babyface Pro FS, Fireface 800, HDSP 9652. 5900X Windows 11, 9900k Ventura.

ver 1.226
Cubase 11 and 12 did not recognize ASIO.
Digital Performer 9 (very old) and DigiCheck recognized ASIO.
I was able to use 3/4 Boost of Babyface Pro FS with TM FM 1.80.

I’ll hang fire until it works with cubase. My guess Wavelab as well which I have although I’m not going to test until I know it works with cubase

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

We found the underlying issue and work on a solution. That said it looks like the four programs are at fault, they do not understand relative paths for the ASIO driver - but they should. This is an interesting issue as many older software, but also other middle old and newer ones work correctly with both absolute and relative paths.

The background here is that MS no longer allows absolute paths in Windows' own installer, which is the one that we use for driver installation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That’s interesting. Do you have contacts at Steinberg?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Which outputs on the Babyface Pro FS are DC coupled? I looked at the spreadsheet but I'm not sure what the "X" under the Line Out/Headphones columns mean. Not sure what Nr. Ch means and what 2/4 underneath that means. Any help appreciaed.

alannn wrote:

Which outputs on the Babyface Pro FS are DC coupled?

All.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Driver 1.227 is now available for testing. It solves the ASIO compatibility issue on our systems with those 4 known (and any unknown) programs. Please give it a try:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … n_1227.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Please give it a try:

Works fine with cubase 10.5 (and S1-6) Win 11 Home 22H2.

Ja, funktioniert einwandfrei mit den o.g. Samplitudeversionen und 203 / 1.80 beta3

Babyface Pro FS, Fireface 800, HDSP 9652. 5900X Windows 11, 9900k Ventura.

Thanks for trying!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ASIO worked with Cubase 11, 12, Digital Performer 9, foobar, DigiCheck.
Win 10 64bit 22H2
Wonderful.

Working with Cubase 12 and Wavelab 11. Win 11. Where is the boost enabled though?

mkok wrote:

Working with Cubase 12 and Wavelab 11. Win 11. Where is the boost enabled though?

In tm, right above the gain, -10, +4 and now also boost

I looked there and only saw the -10 and +4. I’m sure I checked the firmware and driver version in the fireface settings.  I’ll look again when I get home.

mkok wrote:

I looked there and only saw the -10 and +4. I’m sure I checked the firmware and driver version in the fireface settings.  I’ll look again when I get home.

Tou need the beta usb driver 1.227,  tmfx 1.80 and 203 firmware.

endocriner wrote:

hello here we are again I have a question

I have set my BF to run at 48100kHz so far so good. what i don't understand is why now any track i put in my DAW with volume level set to 0db is always red, even tracks that are mastered to -1db are now red exceeding 1.5db... i don't understand if Does anyone understand if this is normal or not?

It also turns red on my TotalMIx Fx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbs_phenomenon
https://s3.amazonaws.com/izotopedownloa … index.html

you cleared everything up for me!!!! thank you

ebmmbongo wrote:
mkok wrote:

Tou need the beta usb driver 1.227,  tmfx 1.80 and 203 firmware.

Got it. I missed the beta TotalMix. Working now and tested again on Cubase and Wavelab.

What really bugged me which has nothing to do with RME. My pc forced an update 22H2 just after I had done the driver so I rebooted and the driver was lost as were some other none related things. So taken me another 30 mins to get it all going again!