Topic: Configuring Audio with a MADI PCIe, Micstasy & ADI-8QS

Hello and thanks for your help.

I am using Cubase 4 on a PC equipped with a MADI PCIe card connected via MADI cable to a micstasy which is connected via ADAT (TOSLINK cable) to an ADI-8QS. I'm taking analog 1&2 out of the ADI-8QS and into my powered monitors for playback.
I can record into Cubase with no issues and I can see level in totalmix during record and during playback but I'm not hearing anything out of my speakers or seeing level on the ADI-8QS.
It seems all I need to do is route audio from totalmix to the proper hardware outputs but I'm not sure which outputs in totalmix relate to the MADI output of the PCIe card or am I missing a step.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: Configuring Audio with a MADI PCIe, Micstasy & ADI-8QS

Hi Tim,

Please check your settings in the Micstasy. The Micstasy input will appear, for instance, on BANK 1 (1-8) in TotalMix. You can access the output of BANK 1 from the HDSPe MADI card at the digital (AES or ADAT) output with the proper setting in the Micstasy, which is then passed to the ADI-8 QS.

From the manual:

11.11 Digital Output (do)

Default: An

Available settings: An, oP

This option relates to the use of the I64 MADI Card. In default state (An) the analog input signal is available at all three digital outputs. Selecting oP (Option) an eight-channel group of the MADI input signal is sent to the ADAT/AES outputs. With this the MADI connection can also be used as return path. Sending audio via MADI to the Micstasy, the audio becomes available at the Micstasy?s digital outputs ADAT/AES. The MADI output continues to carry the analog input signals and the fed-through input data.

Note: The 8-channel group sent to ADAT/AES is defined by the currently chosen ID.

14.2 ADAT Optical

The Micstasy provides two digital outputs in ADAT optical format. In normal operation these ports carry the converted analog input signal. When using the I64 MADI Card and activating the option oP in the Setup menu do, the MADI input data is present at the output instead, see chapter 11.11. In Single Speed mode both outputs carry the same audio data. With this it is possible to distribute the output signal to two devices (2 x ADAT splitter).

As the ADAT optical signal is physically specified up to 48 kHz only, the Micstasy automatically activates Sample Split mode (S/MUX) at 88.2 and 96 kHz, distributing the data of one channel to two output channels. The internal frequency stays at 44.1/48 kHz. Therefore the sample clock at the ADAT outputs is only half the frequency of the AES outputs. As interesting as this is ? you don't need to think about it. 96 kHz capable ADAT hardware, like all current RME digital interfaces, re-combine the data automatically. The user (and the DAW software) does not see any split data, but just single channels at the expected double sample rate.

The ADAT outputs can be used in parallel to the AES outputs at up to 192 kHz, but in QS mode only channels 1 to 4 will be available.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Configuring Audio with a MADI PCIe, Micstasy & ADI-8QS

Thanks Jeff

I'll give that a shot