1 (edited by nelson_a 2016-11-07 19:04:23)

Topic: When will RME send the ADI-2 Pro and UFX+ to the Press?

Hello,

Given that the UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro have been out for approximately a month, it's odd that I haven't yet seen a review for either unit from any of the major reviewers (ex. Sound On Sound, MusicRadar, etc).

When is RME planning to send both units out to the press?

Furthermore, I have been having a hard time finding the ADI-2 Pro in stock at any major musical retailer (ex. SweetWater, Thomann, BH Photo, etc).

Are there currently production issues with the ADI-2 Pro that are holding it up from being delivered to major music retailers?

Thank you,
Nelson

2 (edited by ramses 2016-11-07 19:33:05)

Re: When will RME send the ADI-2 Pro and UFX+ to the Press?

The units are still in production and sellers like Thomann are waiting for the 1st delivery.
it has been announced to come yes .. give it some time.

In regards to the UFX+ .. I have one and its cool.  Review of a magazine ?
You can buy it, fair enough ...

If these 2 qualify for a review .. The technical data you can find already in the handbook.
Its better than the UFX and the UFX is still great.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ba5a867688

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … Cber-MADI/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

The units are still in production and sellers like Thomann are waiting for the 1st delivery.
it has been announced to come yes .. give it some time.

In regards to the UFX+ .. I have one and its cool.  Review of a magazine ?
You can buy it, fair enough ...

If these 2 qualify for a review .. The technical data you can find already in the handbook.
Its better than the UFX and the UFX is still great.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ba5a867688

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … Cber-MADI/

Hello Ramses,

You are right that I can just buy either unit, but $2300.00 for the ADI-2 Pro or $3000.00 for the UFX+, is not a small purchase for someone like myself.

With pro reviewers, we find out things that can make or break a purchase.

For instance, I'm currently looking at purchasing the ADI-2 Pro.

RME bills the unit as a 2 in / 4 out audio interface.

However, and I only found this out by scouring the forums on GearSlutz, 2 of the outputs on the ADI-2 Pro are unbalanced.

When I asked RME about this, they stated that the unbalanced outputs on the ADI-2 Pro were for headphones.

So though RME bills the ADI-2 Pro as a 2 in / 4 out interface, for professional studio work, the ADI-2 Pro is really a 2 in / 2 out audio interface.

Now, that may not be a problem for myself (as I don't see myself using outboard gear in the studio - though you never know), but that would probably be a big deal for someone else.

And unfortunately, given that the ADI-2 Pro is only sold as a special order item from BH Photo, SweetWater and likely Thomann as well, if you were to purchase the ADI-2 Pro thinking it had 4 balanced outputs, you'd likely be screwed, as many retailers do not offer refunds on special order items.

Nelson

4 (edited by ramses 2016-11-07 22:37:30)

You started the thread with completely different questions, which I tried to answer as good as possible,
based on the information I found in this forum and based on information I see in the shops.

The specs of UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro are documented on webpage and in the manual.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

If you base your purchases on info from gearslutz, you might as well just buy the most expensive unit you can find. Optionally, it's a big boon if it's a product pretending to be manufactured in the USA...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

If you base your purchases on info from gearslutz, you might as well just buy the most expensive unit you can find. Optionally, it's a big boon if it's a product pretending to be manufactured in the USA...

I'm not basing my purchasing decisions on GearSlutz alone.

Still, you must admit that describing the ADI-2 Pro as a 2 in / 4 out device is more than a little misleading.

It may not affect me personally, but will likely affect quite a few other people.

Nelson

The website of the ADI-2 Pro is currently under work as the number of I/Os is not easy to get, I agree with that. Please simply read the unit's manual and you will understand why it is a true 6 in / 8 out device with 2 in / 4 out on analog. BTW, where is this unit sold for $2,300?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The website of the ADI-2 Pro is currently under work as the number of I/Os is not easy to get, I agree with that. Please simply read the unit's manual and you will understand why it is a true 6 in / 8 out device with 2 in / 4 out on analog. BTW, where is this unit sold for $2,300?

Just to clarify, when you say 2 in / 4 out, you really mean 2 in / 2 out (balanced) and 2 out (unbalanced), correct?

Also, when the website for the ADI-2 Pro is updated, will you also include links to reviews?

If not, when do you expect the press will get samples of the ADI-2 Pro to review?

As for $2300.00, I was referring to the list price.

The few retailers who have it in stock, are actually selling it for $2,000.00, my apologies for the confusion.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/518185- … oCPhbw_wcB

Nelson

9 (edited by ramses 2016-11-08 08:31:26)

nelson_a wrote:
MC wrote:

Just to clarify, when you say 2 in / 4 out, you really mean 2 in / 2 out (balanced) and 2 out (unbalanced), correct?

The way I understand it from information on web (analog part)
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi … 0403485800

2 IN servo-balanced (XLR or TSR, combi plug),
2 OUT (XLR, balanced) and 2 OUT (TSR, unbalanced) both useable, as you have separate XLR/TSR plugs.

Pls see here in short, hope it helps (also good to look at the rear of product picture at the same time):

Analog Inputs
XLR
• Input: XLR, servo-balanced • Input sensitivity switchable +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4 dBu @ 0 dBFS
TSR
As input XLR, but:
• Input: 6.3 mm TRS jack, servo-balanced

Analog Outputs
1/2 XLR
• Output level switchable +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4 dBu @ 0 dBFS
• Output impedance: 200 Ohm balanced, 100 Ohm unbalanced
1/2 TS (rear)
As output XLR, but:
• Output: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced

Phones 1/2
As Output 1/2 TS, but:
• Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, unbalanced, stereo

Output Phones 3/4
As Output Phones 1/2, but:
• Output levels at 0 dBFS: Hi-Power off +7 dBu, Hi-Power On +22 dBu

Balanced Phones mode
As before, but:
• Output levels at 0 dBFS: Hi-Power off +13 dBu (9.8 V), Hi-Power On +28 dBu (19.5 V)

In my point of view, you should hope for people (true users) reviews, not for reviews from these webzines and papers that take money for publishing them....money that YOU pay purchasing a product where the 40% of the price it s for ads. I know you are aware of that.
But It should be clear for everyone that you will find no more a negative review on a product. They will write what you excpect or what you already think to know: Focusrite? Not over the top but incredible for the price (and I wonder how could that be possible with all the ads they do) Antelope? Great converters because of their holy clock, etc. etc.
Of course... if a company doesn't send units you may think it has something to hide. But what I see it's that papers are not interested in giving us info...but just to use their popolarity to take money and publish what others tell them to publish

ramses wrote:
nelson_a wrote:
MC wrote:

The way I understand it from information on web (analog part)
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi … 0403485800

2 IN servo-balanced (XLR or TSR, combi plug),
2 OUT (XLR, balanced) and 2 OUT (TSR, unbalanced) both useable, as you have separate XLR/TSR plugs.

Pls see here in short, hope it helps (also good to look at the rear of product picture at the same time):

Analog Inputs
XLR
• Input: XLR, servo-balanced • Input sensitivity switchable +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4 dBu @ 0 dBFS
TSR
As input XLR, but:
• Input: 6.3 mm TRS jack, servo-balanced

Analog Outputs
1/2 XLR
• Output level switchable +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4 dBu @ 0 dBFS
• Output impedance: 200 Ohm balanced, 100 Ohm unbalanced
1/2 TS (rear)
As output XLR, but:
• Output: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced

Phones 1/2
As Output 1/2 TS, but:
• Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, unbalanced, stereo

Output Phones 3/4
As Output Phones 1/2, but:
• Output levels at 0 dBFS: Hi-Power off +7 dBu, Hi-Power On +22 dBu

Balanced Phones mode
As before, but:
• Output levels at 0 dBFS: Hi-Power off +13 dBu (9.8 V), Hi-Power On +28 dBu (19.5 V)

Hello Ramses,

Thank you for the specs.

That being said, when most recording engineers talk about ins and outs, at least on the analog side, I believe they're only referring to balanced ins and outs.

Which is why once again, the ADI-2 Pro is not a 2 in / 4 out interface, but rather a 2 in / 2 out interface.

In other words, if I plug in a set of monitors to the 2 balanced outputs on the ADI-2 Pro, according to RME, the only other use for the remaining 2 outputs are for headphones (which doesn't make much sense, considering that there are already 2 headphone inputs on the front of the unit).

Whereas if I were to purchase something like a Prism Lyra 2 (also considered a 2 in / 4 out device), I can plug not only a set of monitors into 2 of the 4 outputs, but also either a single stereo or 2 mono devices.

To call the ADI-2 Pro a 2 in / 4 out interface (analog) is simply untrue.

All that said, the ADI-2 Pro still may work for my setup.

Nelson

LSS wrote:

In my point of view, you should hope for people (true users) reviews, not for reviews from these webzines and papers that take money for publishing them....money that YOU pay purchasing a product where the 40% of the price it s for ads. I know you are aware of that.
But It should be clear for everyone that you will find no more a negative review on a product. They will write what you excpect or what you already think to know: Focusrite? Not over the top but incredible for the price (and I wonder how could that be possible with all the ads they do) Antelope? Great converters because of their holy clock, etc. etc.
Of course... if a company doesn't send units you may think it has something to hide. But what I see it's that papers are not interested in giving us info...but just to use their popolarity to take money and publish what others tell them to publish

Hello LSS,

Understood.

That being said, the good thing about some reviewers is that they detail potential shortcomings / pitfalls of certain units, which is very important to me.

Once again, the ADI-2 Pro is considered a special order item by most major musical retailers.

What that means is if the ADI-2 Pro does not work for my setup, I will not be able to return the unit for a refund.

Instead I will have to either sell the unit on Ebay (and easily lose 25% - 50% of my investment) or live with it.

You may consider a $2,000.00 purchase a drop in the bucket, but I don't.

I need to be absolutely certain that the ADI-2 Pro will work with my setup. If it doesn't, I'll need to purchase something else.

That's why reviews are so important to me (and I'm not talking about 1 review, I'm talking about many).

But with the ADI-2 Pro (unlike with the UFX, UCX, Babyface Pro, 802, etc), there's not even one review.

RME is not a small, unknown company.

They've been around for 20 years and are well known for their rock solid drivers and reliability, so not seeing at least one review for their top of the line mastering grade interface, is more than a little odd.

Nelson

See now your point, was not aware of, that you can not return it, maybe I overread it ...
I understand now your position that you want or need to be on the safe side not to loose money ...

nelson_a wrote:

That being said, when most recording engineers talk about ins and outs, at least on the analog side, I believe they're only referring to balanced ins and outs.

Which is why once again, the ADI-2 Pro is not a 2 in / 4 out interface, but rather a 2 in / 2 out interface.

In other words, if I plug in a set of monitors to the 2 balanced outputs on the ADI-2 Pro, according to RME, the only other use for the remaining 2 outputs are for headphones (which doesn't make much sense, considering that there are already 2 headphone inputs on the front of the unit).

Whereas if I were to purchase something like a Prism Lyra 2 (also considered a 2 in / 4 out device), I can plug not only a set of monitors into 2 of the 4 outputs, but also either a single stereo or 2 mono devices.

Nelson

Then you have a somewhat strange definition of I/Os. I also do not agree that recording engineers see unbalanced outputs as not existing (which is the result of what you wrote).

You also still missed a lot about the ADI-2 Pro. The manual will explain why the phones outputs are perfect line outputs (just unbalanced). It also explains in great detail why it is a big advantage to have two phones outputs.

Finally the Lyra 2 that you mentioned can't do half of all the stuff the ADI-2 Pro can do - but some other things instead. Comparing these two units is not valid as they address different customers/applications. The Lyra is more a typical audio interface, even has Mic ins, so should be compared to a UFX, for example.

In the end you have to buy the unit that exactly fits your needs. Please do so, I don't want to convince you of a unit which you are unhappy with then later on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Regarding the reviews: believe it or not, but both UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro are sold out. The ADI-2 Pro already until mid of February 2017. That's why we have time to get reviews done. Some are in preparation, and two are already online:

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/interface-au … -plus.html

http://www.lowbeats.de/test-addac-headp … adi-2-pro/

More will come up for sure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great review! Loved the MC, RME mastermind, true that!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

MC wrote:
nelson_a wrote:

Nelson

Then you have a somewhat strange definition of I/Os. I also do not agree that recording engineers see unbalanced outputs as not existing (which is the result of what you wrote).

You also still missed a lot about the ADI-2 Pro. The manual will explain why the phones outputs are perfect line outputs (just unbalanced). It also explains in great detail why it is a big advantage to have two phones outputs.

Finally the Lyra 2 that you mentioned can't do half of all the stuff the ADI-2 Pro can do - but some other things instead. Comparing these two units is not valid as they address different customers/applications. The Lyra is more a typical audio interface, even has Mic ins, so should be compared to a UFX, for example.

In the end you have to buy the unit that exactly fits your needs. Please do so, I don't want to convince you of a unit which you are unhappy with then later on.

Hello MC,

I suppose it comes down to your definition of 2 in / 4 out.

For instance, the Prism Lyra 2 is considered a 2 in / 4 out audio interface (with all 4 outputs being balanced) while at the same time, an Apogee Duet (with 2 balanced outs + 2 headphone unbalanced outs - like the ADI-2 Pro) is also considered a 2 in / 4 out interface.

One question for you, someone on the GearSlutz forums mentioned that I might (they were unsure - even after having read the documentation for the ADI-2 Pro) be able to use the 2 headphone outputs on the front of the unit as another set of balanced outputs.

Is that true?

Also, when you mention that there is a big advantage to having two phones outputs, are you referring to the amount of power you're able to drive with two phones outputs instead of one?

In other words, it would be much easier to power a powerful set of headphones (like the Audeze LCD4's) using two phones outputs, rather than one?

Thank you,
Nelson

MC wrote:

Regarding the reviews: believe it or not, but both UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro are sold out. The ADI-2 Pro already until mid of February 2017. That's why we have time to get reviews done. Some are in preparation, and two are already online:

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/interface-au … -plus.html

http://www.lowbeats.de/test-addac-headp … adi-2-pro/

More will come up for sure.

Thank you for the reviews.

As for being "sold out", is RME ramping up production to produce more units (especially regarding the ADI-2 Pro)?

In other words, after February, can we expect more shortages?

Thank you,
Nelson

Please download the manual. All the info you need is in there:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_e.pdf

Yes, the front outputs can be used as two channels of balanced outputs. Which (apart from using a balanced headphone) not makes much sense, as in this mode the rear balanced outputs are disabled - so no win/win situation.

And yes, we ramped up production to make it easier to get hold of a unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Another Review in German: https://www.proaudio.de/de/tests/18058- … -plus.html

ramses wrote:

Another Review in German: https://www.proaudio.de/de/tests/18058- … -plus.html

Hello Ramses,

Thank you for the review.

Any idea when we'll get some English reviews from the major sites (ex. Sound on Sound, MusicRADAR, ProTools Expert, etc)?

Nelson

Another Review in German: https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelans … -test.html

Another review of the ADI-2 Pro in English:

http://headfonics.com/2016/12/the-adi-2-pro-by-rme/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Another review of the ADI-2 Pro in English:

http://headfonics.com/2016/12/the-adi-2-pro-by-rme/

Thank you both (Ramses and MC).

Nelson

Another review of the ADI-2 Pro in German:

http://www.modernhifi.de/rme-adi-2-pro-test/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello MC,

Thank you for the link.

Out of curiosity, has RME sent any ADI-2 Pro's to any of the recording publications?

Unfortunately no one seems to be talking about the ADI-2 Pro's AD (given that all the reviewers so far are from the HiFi segment, this makes sense).

However for someone who's interested in purchasing the ADI-2 Pro for recording, this doesn't help much.

For example, S.O.S (Sound on Sound) is a great publication that's been in the recording industry for decades; have you guys shipped any demo units to them or any of the other high profile recording publications?

If not, could you?

Thanks,
Nelson

We are constantly sending out review units. A studio-based review also covering the AD with serious measurements will be published around new year. From what I heard so far our competition will not be happy wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We are constantly sending out review units. A studio-based review also covering the AD with serious measurements will be published around new year. From what I heard so far our competition will not be happy wink

Let's hope you're right about that.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the studio-based review.

Take care,
Nelson

We are proud to announce that Headfonics gave the ADI-2 Pro a 'Writer's choice 2016' award.

Meanwhile reviews of the UFX+ have been published in Resolution Magazine, MusicTech (gave it an Excellence 10/10), and Bonedo:

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelans … -test.html

This one is hard to find as Google doesn't like the + in the UFX name.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We are proud to announce that Headfonics gave the ADI-2 Pro a 'Writer's choice 2016' award.

Meanwhile reviews of the UFX+ have been published in Resolution Magazine, MusicTech (gave it an Excellence 10/10), and Bonedo:

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelans … -test.html

This one is hard to find as Google doesn't like the + in the UFX name.

Hello MC,

Thank you for the UFX+ review.

Any idea when any ADI-2 Pro reviews (regarding the ADI-2 Pro's recording capabilities), will be up?

Thank you,
Nelson

We have the first 'studio' review mentioned on our ADI-2 Pro website. The whole review is available as pdf, but German (you might like the included measurements, though):

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/St … 2Pro_d.pdf

We will translate that review for the joy of our competition (joke) to english soon.

BTW, the ADI-2 Pro also got an Audio Excellence Award 2017, category Extra Prize.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We have the first 'studio' review mentioned on our ADI-2 Pro website. The whole review is available as pdf, but German (you might like the included measurements, though):

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/St … 2Pro_d.pdf

We will translate that review for the joy of our competition (joke) to english soon.

BTW, the ADI-2 Pro also got an Audio Excellence Award 2017, category Extra Prize.

Hello MC,

Thanks for the heads up.

If you could, please let me know when the English version is available.

Thank you,
Nelson