Topic: Ableton and RME Fireface UC getting glitches but it's ok with Cubase 5

With cubase 5, (antivirus, firewall all turned ON, with cable or\and Wifi), RME Ficeface UC works very very well. But, with Ableton i'm getting a lot of glitches. How can i fix this? Windows 7 pro; Dell Vostro 3560; Intel Core i5 3210M 2.5/3.1ghz, 3mb de cache; AMD Radeon 7670M 1gb; HD 1TB 7200RPM; RAM 8GB.

Re: Ableton and RME Fireface UC getting glitches but it's ok with Cubase 5

Which ASIO buffersize do you use ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

256, 512, 1024, 2048. I tried with these, but they all present the same problem, so, i don't think the problem is the buffersize. I use with Cubase and works fine. The problem is the Ableton with Fireface UC. Ah, im using the last driver version, Fireface driver_usb_win_1099, and firmware 123 (Hardware revision). I have another audio card, a Presonus Audiobox 22. With audiobox Ableton works fine like Cubase 5. Any other idea? And thanx for trying to help me. wink

After all i could fix the glitches problem. Im really tired to google in many forums and the answer is: Turn off the Multicore/Multiprocessor.

5 (edited by ramses 2017-07-21 16:50:34)

You mean turn off (EDIT:) "Hyperhreading" in the BIOS ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You mean Hyperthreading?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Edmundo 2017-07-21 15:46:05)

ramses and MC. Thanx to come to my post. I'm talking about the thing i did in Ableton. In Ableton you can choose Multicore/Multiprocessor ON or OFF. Nothing about RME or something out the Ableton. I know about many possibilities to try to fix the glitches problems but this thing, turn off Multicore/Multiprocessor, really fix it. Again, thanx for all. Hope other guys with the same problem could fix this kind of issue.

8 (edited by ramses 2017-07-21 16:54:00)

Poor Multicore Support might be unique to Ableton when I read these two:

https://www.ableton.com/answers/multico … ling-audio
https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php … p;start=15

Ramses, thank you again. Exactly! The last thing is, i don't know why presonus audiobox woks fine with this option turned on in Ableton. The fact is. Works. But i don't use audiobox to record. Fireface is much better. I only use audiobox in my reharsals, and Fireface still in my homestudio. Usually using with Cubase 5. Anyway, now it's fixed. Hope my post could help others having a same problem. Best!

Presonus Audio Box is a 4 channel interface. Fireface UC is a 36 channel interface, so there are more channels to transfer via USB. Maybe you have
- issues with USB on your mainboard or
- with the quality of your USB cables
Maybe the UC sits together with another device on an USB controller.
Try every USB port of the PC whether it makes a difference.
Try also USB3 ports.
Try to update BIOS, chipset driver, USB driver of your mainboard.
Or eventually get a separate quality USB card.
Then I would take an USB3 card which would be compatible.

RME mentions for the UFX+ that cards with Fresco Logic chips are supported and run well.
I have this card in use to get behind each port an USB3 controller of its own, but its pricy
and requires a x4 PCIe Slot which might be tricky with some boards to get ...
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 79334.html

So better for you might be this card:
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 48037.html

11 (edited by Edmundo 2017-07-24 02:14:42)

Hi, Ramses. I will try some upgrades mentionated, although the Bios i did last month.I don't think the problem is the quality of my usb cables. I have a lot and tested all. What i have: Vostro notebook, 3560. 4 USB ports (three 2.0 and one 3.1 super speed) i5 3th generation) 8 GB ram Corsair. Win Pro 7 (but not SP1) hd 1 TB 7.200 rpm. The USB card link i can't use. Notebook here. Anyway, i will do a Dell test about all in this note. Best!!!!!!

Things you can try, one by one or combined.

- Turn off all output and especially input in Live that you do not use anyway.
- Turn off MMCSS in the RME driver dialog (About tab).
- Try setting Live's CPU priority to Realtime via Task-Manager (this might cause freezes if Live is overloaded).
- Set Live's CPU Affinity to only use even cores (0/2) (circumvents Hyperthreading).
- Use the "High Performance" Windows power profile.
- Create artificial CPU load in the background to keep your CPU from power-saving.
- Keep the laptop cool to keep the CPU from throttling.

Thanx, Timur Born! I'll try!!!! But i fix the glitches issue disabling Multicore/Multiprocessor support in Ableton CPU options. Best!!!! ;o)