Topic: ADI & Squeezebox

May i have your help about the usb connection from a squeezebox touch to RME ADI 2DAC .The squeezebox don t recognize the RME and i can t choose it as a usb dac
When i connect the coaxial output of the squeezebox touch ,RME connected and play .
Please as you  understand i need your help

Re: ADI & Squeezebox

Hi, sorry to see that no one could help you until now.
I have tried it also without any luck.
So it seems it is for whatever reasons not working.
I would love to know why it is not working, this may stop my itching in the back of my head which always asks me: „why it is not working?“ ;-)

And I would love to know why you both aren't using Google, or are keeping important information about your setup and what you tried so far for yourself. Support won't work that way.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthre … Triode+EDO

So you tried the Enhanced Digital Output app already. Let's see, maybe we can get a SBT to find the reason.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by daiyama 2018-06-02 10:09:59)

Thank you Matthias for your reply.
Have you read the last couple of posts of the EDO thread?
Should I repeat here what I have reported there about what I have tried and would this be enough information? Or would you prefer that I summarize all here?
Please let me know and what additional information you would need.

Please note, it is not guranteed that the EDO Plugin and the SBT is compatible with all USB DACs. There is a good chance that it simply won‘t work (which I have established for me personally) my question was more in the direction probably here someone knows the specifics of the RME USB port (I am sure of that ;-) and the specifics of the SBT USB port (this would very lucky) and could say „it is not working because.....“.
There is an excel sheet were someone filed RME audio under „working DACs“ but gave no specifics. There is also a sheet with „Not working DACs“ where RME is not listed. So it is a bit inconclusive.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … view#gid=0

Please also note, I do not blame the ADI-2 DAC for this at all.
The ADI-2 DAC is a brand new device derived from professional audio and the SBT is a very old (in terms of digital devices) lowfi consumer device. One cannot expect that a newer device is compatible to everything that is and was out there.
I still very much enjoy my SBT in combination with the ADI-2 DAC and will continue to use this combination as it sounds fantastic and options on the ADI-2 DAC are endlessly (even when I am not able to take advantage of the steady clock FS feature).

Viele Grüße
Knut

P.S. Ich glaube jetzt habe ich das Post missverstanden. -:)
Du scheinst gelesen zu haben, dass ich es schon mehrfach versucht habe und es nicht zum Laufen bekommen und ihr versucht mal eine SBT aufzutreiben um zu schauen, wo das Problem liegt.
Das wäre super. Danke!

Genau so smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Falls ihr Probleme habt an eine ranzukommen, sagt Bescheid, ich würde euch eine zur Verfügung stellen.
Gruß
Knut

Last firmware update solved the issues!
SBT works up to 192kHz (incl. DS64) like a charm.
Great work! Thanks to the RME support.

where would one find the latest firmware as also have this issue on my brand new DAC?

thanks

Not sure what you are talking about. The latest DAC firmware is here and on our website (and easy to find):

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28058

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Squeezebox touch works perfect via usb and coaxial after the firmware upgrades ,a few months ago .

Hmmm...

I plugged my SBT into the ADI-2 DAC via Coax, and it worked perfectly from the beginning.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

12 (edited by nearhos 2019-01-18 05:20:05)

The problem was at usb connexion only .

13 (edited by Curt962 2019-02-17 14:09:55)

Hello all,

I've been using my SBT (EDO enabled) with my ADI-2 DAC via SPDIF quite happily.  Driven by Curiosity, I connected the SBT via the RME Supplied USB Cable to the ADI-2, and can report that it worked Perfectly on the First Attempt.    No noises, oddities, etc.  Source Sample Rates are displayed correctly.   

The Manual states that by doing this, I am now enjoying the full benefit of the ADI-2's internal Clock.    Super!

Viele Dank!

14 (edited by Curt962 2019-02-18 12:55:24)

Update:

The SBT connection via USB STILL works perfectly.  Hours, and Hours...with nary a Hiccup.

Many Thanks to the RME Team, and Others who invested the Time, and Heavy Lifting to ensure proper connectivity between these Two Devices long before I came along.   For me, it was a simple matter of Plug n Play.

Many Thanks!

Thanks go to daiyama who had sent us his SBT to allow us to find and solve the issues.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Late Response, but THANKS Daiyama for your efforts!   It made my Connectivity experience Painless. 

I hear a "difference" that I like by connecting the SBT to the the DAC via USB.

With DAB Radio Sources (much a part of our Listening) my Wife will choose the USB Connection 10 of 10 in Blind Comparison, as being "Clearer"

With Locally Sourced (Server) material, neither of us are better than 50/50.

Fun Facts for Fun People!

daiyama, could you test something for me?

Thanks to your efforts I am using touch via usb input on ADI2 DAC (hub is not necessary) for months. Only issue is that I cannot playback dsf files. I have dsp-player plugin installed and activated but get just noise when playing back. What am I doing wrong?

19 (edited by Curt962 2019-10-20 21:58:36)

John,

Have you installed the Enhanced Digital Output (EDO) Applet into your SBT itself?

Not having that installed would indeed be a Show-Stopper.    Without EDO, the SBT Caps out at 96khz.   

Look for it in 3rd Party Apps within the SBT menus.  Follow the Instructions that are displayed. 

Curt

I am running edo, I could not use the usb connection otherwise.
Thx

Btw what dsd files are you using, dsf or dff?

John,

None of the above.  Just a smattering of 176.4, and 192khz files.   

Curt

john34 wrote:

Btw what dsd files are you using, dsf or dff?

John,

What's happening at your end??   An update would be good!!  smile

Curt

Hi, gave up and converted to pcm!

John,

I think I'm a bit confused.   What Data Rate are the files you're having difficulty with?   

The EDO applet in the SBT is quite 'DIY", and there is also a Kernel Updater that if not up to speed can lead to difficulties. 

For me?  192khz from a 10yr old device is astonishing, all whilst the Studies consistently show NO audible advantages beyond 96khz SR.    Of my 192's...only ONE (Cantate Domino on the Proprius Label) has even the SLIGHTEST edge in SQ.   Could be anything.  EQ..Levels, etc.   I doubt my Ears suddenly gained the ability to hear ultrasonics. smile

Have fun nonetheless,

Curt

Hi Curt! I would love to play dsf but trying to playback I get only hiss. If I repackage those files in dop they playback but I cannot control volume then, vol has to be 100% which honestly is a tad too loud for me. ( I am using the adi without preamp).

27 (edited by Curt962 2019-10-30 18:21:00)

John,

Look at your ADI-2 DAC User Manual to gain a better understanding of how DSD actually functions in the Real World.

DSD is by itself...unmanageable,  plus...it's noisy! 

Keep plugging on, but I believe there are far greater influences on SQ than SR alone.  Mic'ing.  Mixing...Mastering..   Let's just never mind the Chaos happening in your listening room.  30db swings in FR are perfectly acceptable it seems.  So long as the "DSD" Light is On.  smile

I could DSD some of the WORST recordings, and they would STILL Suck.   

Get it?  smile

Curt