Re: Bugs in latest USB driver 1.114

First driver I used was 1.114 and that was on the Windows 10 (1709), I don't remember so much in detail now, however it was working fine when it was set to 1 WDM Devices and I set 1+2 RME Speakers to be a default (Windows was setting this as a stereo by default).

Reading the manual, I read that I shouldnt use Babyface as a default device in windows and since i like to have systems sounds I was looking for a workaround. I found that updating the Windows I can get the audio routing settings so I did.

I set built in card as a default device and only routed Chrome and Spotify to Babyface. (Set to 1 WDM Devices so only 1+2 was active) and as a results mono singals were always sent to 3/4 even it was disabled in WDM Devices in the driver. I didnt like it and I started to play with windows WDM settings and realized that setting it to stereo works, however Windows was chaning the settings every restart and I also had a very annoying issue when the audio from Chrome was getting ~10dB lower then spotify(I had to go to settings and press stereo again in order to achieve same volume in both). Thinking that headphones will be always stereo I started using the workaround mentioned in previous postand it worked well.

I updated to 1.164 from the website

Seeing the new driver I thought about updating to use it only with 1 WDM device, however it became quite problematic, the WDM wasnt so stable anymore, I heard glitches - especially in Google Chrome or playing audio from both from the same time.

If the error counter only relates to USB hmm maybe that could be an issue, I am planing to perform a clean instalation of Windows soon, as well as clean my computer inside including contacts and stuff so that may be worth giving a try. So I may be able to report more when I am done with it smile

52 (edited by futurelgcy 2018-07-01 11:53:03)

I've had these glitches/static noises, loud pops and the error counter going crazy for months now and have been troubleshooting ever since. Love Rme but i can confirm that it's definitely a problem with drivers and Win 10 sound that needs urgent addressing(Seems like the usb devices have these problems but on my behalf i use Babyface pro). Google chrome or edge etc is useless watching 1080 p or 4k content and it's just getting worst by the second. It's so annoying and stressful i haven't been able to make music for months and before assuming is my system i tried it on multiple systems plus i build Pcs so am not just an average user. Currently on the latest windows update and Rme drivers nothing seem to change. Tried multiple Rme drivers, usb cables nothing changed. Highest buffer or not nothing changed. And i saved the best for last i have two different Babyface pro and guess what? #Nothing changed.

What we need as customers and it's only fair is a specific thread about this issue for windows users(so that way we can have an open dialog with a history about this specific problem that's scattered). We need honesty instead of the #Damage control approach because at the end of the day we all love Rme and that's why we spend premium to support the company.

KinGLegacY

Did you install and try driver 1.164? Apart from that I am not aware of any such problem at all. And even in this thread it was just 1 user (see above) mentioning this, which so far not points to a general driver problem but a local hardware/OS problem.

If you want a specific thread on Windows USB errors, just open one...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

54 (edited by alanpawlak 2018-07-01 14:09:05)

I think in my situation it can be also a driver problem. I am currently on 1.114:

-2 WDM Devices in RME Driver

Windows Sound Settings (Outputs):

Deafult: Built-in soundcard - Enabled

1+2 RME (Speakers) - Disabled
3+4 RME (Headphones) - Enabled

Using the Windows 10 (1803) settings app I routed Spotify and Chrome to 3+4 RME (Headphones)

In TotalMixFX I routed this 3+4 RME (Headphones) software output to my 1+2 and 3+4 and I set the fader values depending iif I use speakers or headphones.

I have this setup working very stable, no problems at all. And I dont get any errors/glitches or anything. I don't really mind using it like this at the moment because it works with my current setup.

The problems always started when I was trying to use 1+2 RME (Speakers) software output (the mono sounds routing issue and this ~10dB lower audio in Google Chrome)

When I tried the 1.164 driver it looked like the problem with ~10dB lower audio and mono routing dissapeard, however I also didnt do a proper test because it was just much more unstable overall - glitches, pops and error counter (I had the error counter issue while on 512 samples buffer (what dont remember seeing anytime before))

As I said I am doing some works on my PC soon, instaling SSD and cleaning it inside in general including fresh Windows 10 installation. So maybe that will solve the issue, however to me personally it looks like a driver problem, because as soon as I use 3+4 RME software output it works just fine. I written the previous posts only because I though it may help R+D teams with debuging smile

Yes i have 1.164 and i also tried every drivers to this point as well.

KinGLegacY

Hi futurelgcy and alanpawlak,

as everything seems to work fine on my system, I'll like to offer my help. Perhaps you can share with me a totalfx Workspace / FireFace USB settings and a step by step guide to reproduce the problem and then I can check whether it is happening for me as well.

I'll try to monitor this thread regularly

Hello! I will try to run some tests next week with detailed information before and after I do reinstall of my system smile

58 (edited by AhnHEL 2018-07-08 19:44:37)

@MC

I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise and noticed that in Control Panel/Sounds/Recording Tab

Analog 1&2 does not have a sound level meter to the right of it and if you go into Analog 1&2 Properties, on the Level Tab there isn't a volume level slider.  All the other Channels, show normally.

Would this be caused by the driver?

Seems to be working fine regardless.

AhnHEL
FireFace UFX

59 (edited by alanpawlak 2018-07-26 10:17:30)

Hello!

I am coming with an update. I completely cleaned my PC inside, also the contacts using contact cleaner and installed Windows 10 on brand new SSD drive. The problem is the same. Here I present you my 2 setups:

1. Default: Default Sound Card
    RME 1+2: Spotify, Google Chrome (using Windows 10 routing settings)

After 15 min of use without any problem (sample rate 44.1kHz and buffer 512) I got that not really nice...
    [VIDEO BELOW]

2. Default: Default Sound Card
     RME 1+2: Disabled
     RME 3+4: Spotify, Google Chrome (using Windows 10 routing settings)

Working like a charm... [VIDEO BELOW]

Links to videos: https://pastebin.com/6axGmqEc

I am sure the problem is not on my side, because the interface is fully operativeas soon as keep using 3+4 for WDM and keep 1+2 disabled for WDM.

@edit

Forgot to mention, when I use Babyface Pro with 1 WDM device (1+2) as a default windows device I also got no problems smile

@alanpawlak Do you still have issues if you use the latest 1.164 driver?

Yes, I am using 1.164 driver smile

@alanpawlak Did you have any problems with 1.099? That's what I am currently using on Windows 10, version 1803. https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_1099.zip

Hello! No, and I havent used it before because when I got my device I could only find 1.114 driver.

I installed it and it seems to be working fine and very stable. I will keep updated if I got any issues but so far i has been working allright smile

Is there anything I may be losing on using this older driver?

@alanpawlak
Here are the main changes from 1.099 to 1.164:
- Changes to installer to prevent ASIO rights problems with non-admin accounts
- Consistent ordering of ASIO channels when more than one interface is connected
- New TotalMix FX which allows remote control of the mixer over network
- Speaker configuration now remembered correctly (instead of resetting to Stereo every time system is restarted as with 1.099)

The full list of changes is available in readme.txt of the 1.164 driver ZIP archive.

@MC Perhaps there are still some bugs introduced after 1.099 that need fixing?

Hello!

So I have done some testing on 1.099 and I am pretty sure the main problem that's causing my issue is incompatibility between RME Driver and the new Windows 10 1803 new audio routing options.

As I mentioned before it is working quite bad on 1.164. With 1.099 it well better, however, I tried following setup:

1. Default: Default Sound Card

RME 1+2: Spotify, Google Chrome (using Windows 10 routing settings)

Overall performs fine, however only with very high buffer sizes, as soon as I go lower (512 samples and lower) I got clicks and error counter in RME driver couting up. I also checked my CPU there is no throtling, constantly clocked at the same, highest frequency. When I ran Latency mon and it has shown 1555uS at some point and that my computer may be not suitable to perform real time audio.

2. Default: RME 1+2

Everything performs well, latency mon shown the highest interruption of 600uS, I can play music from Spotify and Chrome with 48 samples at the same time and I got no errors at all.

I didn't try anything using 3+4 RME, however I had it working stable before, even using Windows 10 routing so I guess there is no problem with that WDM device.

Well, thanks everyone for help and hopefully that is also helpful input for the RME team. I am now considering 2 setups and probably using the newest driver:
-RME 1+2 set as a default
-Built sound card as default and 3+4 RME WDM used as Spotify/Chrome output

By the way, what is the benefit of not using RME as a default sound output in the manual it was mentioned that it is highly recommended to not set it as a default. What is the benefit?

I'm bumping this as I'm experiencing some similar issues.  I used to have "Speakers (RME Fireface UFX)" as an option when switching the sounds in Windows.  Now that has disappeared.  I can see it when I go into the Sound Settings, but when I select it as the default, it tells me there are no speakers or headphones.  It doesn't have a sound meter in Windows, either.  It's like Windows 10 (fully up to date as of today) sees it, but it can't use it for anything.  My WDM Devices are set on 15.

Any ideas?  Seems to work fine in my DAW.  Just not in other Windows apps like sound players, Chrome, etc.

--------------------------
UFX Owner
Windows 10 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab and Reaper