Topic: Problem with durec recording on UFX+

Hi there

I am having issues with durec recording. Image below shows intermittent drop outs on some of the tracks I am trying to record

https://i.imgur.com/wMcEfXv.gif

I am test recording 16 channels (24 48kh) using UFX+. Tried test recording on two different media but same drop out problems with both
1. Kingston 16GB 10 speed HC flash card  with Transend USB 3 card reader (info shows 0 errors, approx 450ms R/W speeds)
2. 2TB Seagate Firecuda USB 3 hard drive (info shows 0 errors, approx 100ms R/W speeds)

I am also recording simultaneously on Cubase. No issues there. All tracks record just fine. Any ideas why the drop outs in durec especially as the info panel shows 0 errors?

I am on Windows. UFX+ SW version 39. Total Mix 1.50(3)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Stavros

2 (edited by ramses 2018-06-20 22:04:50)

Re: Problem with durec recording on UFX+

stavroskokkinos wrote:

1. [...]info shows 0 errors, approx 450ms R/W speeds
2. [...]info shows 0 errors, approx 100ms R/W speeds

I am on Windows.

What info ? To what are you referring ? Where did you see 0 errors ?

What Windows version ... Details please !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses

Thanks for your quick response. I am running Win 7 Pro. 0 errors is shown on both info panels, i.e. on the unit itself and TM durec window. Hope this makes sense. 2x XTCs are connected to the UFX+ via MADI.

Stav

Hi again

I tried short test recordings on the Kingston flash card increasing the channel counts bit by bit (from 1-15 simultaneous channels at 48kh) but I couldn't reproduce the drop out issue I experienced with the earlier test recordings i.e. at the start of some of the tracks.

https://i.imgur.com/o0E4GsX.gif

I am wondering whether it could be the batch processor  utility at fault here? The first lot of 15 track files I reported the issue with were 1hr long test recordings batch processed as multichan files and then imported to Cubase.

Stavros

Latest firmware is 41 (100/41/47). Are you using the Wav Processor 1.2?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Mathias

Thanks for response. Have updated s/w and f/w as suggested and re-running some quick tests. Good news so far. 10 min long durec recordings of 15 tracks at 48kh over MADI (2x XTCS connected to UFX+) are now issue free. The seagate hard drive averages 65ms R/W speeds and the Kingston flash card starts at 1000ms! and then stabilises around 260ms. Will do some longer test recording and report back.

OAT is there any way I can make the Cubase and durec to start recording at the same time (i.e. at the press of one click?). Can I sync them in some way?

Stavros

Not easily, but it should be no problem to align them with the first recorded audio signal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by ramses 2018-06-23 12:11:32)

For the ARC USB a command exits to start a Durec recording.
ARC USB -> via USB -> TotalMix FX

I never used it but isn't TM FX also remote controllable via MIDI ?

@RME: wouldn't it be possible to "define / program" a MIDI command, so that somebody could send
the MIDI command from DAW to start the durec recording as well ?
DAW -> via MIDI -> TotalMix FX

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi  all

Pleased to report back that longer test durec recordings 30mins+ using the above mentioned media are now issue free with no drop outs. Not sure really what caused them the first time round but I am glad everything is now working as expected. Recording live concert tomorrow so I hope system behaves itself! Will try your sync idea Ramses when I have a bit more time, thanks for suggestion.

Regards,

Stavros

ramses wrote:

@RME: wouldn't it be possible to "define / program" a MIDI command, so that somebody could send
the MIDI command from DAW to start the durec recording as well ?
DAW -> via MIDI -> TotalMix FX

The question was targeted to RME whether this could be added to TM FX,
as I didn't find any such command in the handbook to remote control TM FX by a midi command to start Durec Recording.

Seems at the moment only being implemented for the ARC USB if I didn't overlook something.