201 (edited by Timur Born 2019-03-26 10:49:09)

Re: Distorted audio, bit crushed sound > Mojave / Mac mini 2018

Ha, Abid is in da house! wink

Hopefully this will finally fix Mojave issues for good. On the other hand I found this post on the Macrumors forum:

"Just upgraded. iMac won’t make a sound now. Something is wrong. "

So time will tell...

Who’s going first?

www.yila.co.uk

Timur Born wrote:

Ha, Abid is in da house! wink

Hopefully this will finally fix Mojave issues for good. On the other hand I found this post on the Macrumors forum:

"Just upgraded. iMac won’t make a sound now. Something is wrong. "

So time will tell...

Hello old friend! smile

Abid Hussain, AKA Nebulae
Ableton Certified Trainer

Personally I am waiting for April to arrive to see if any new Macbooks will come out. So currently I unfortunately cannot test Mojave myself.

I've just done the OSX 10.14.4 update to my 2018 Mac Mini (3.2GHz i7 / 32GB) and early days but it seems to be sorted, fingers crossed! On first try I got an audio dropout on my UCX within a minute and my heart sank but then I tried ticking the 'Short Safety Offset' in Fireface USB Settings. It seems to have worked on initial testing. Can anyone else confirm about that box, whether it needs to be ticked or not?

Before updating OSX I was getting all sorts of problems, even using the Caldigit hub suggested earlier in this thread. Audio dropouts in playback but the recorded audio was unusable, full of crackles and weird static. I've basically had an unusable computer for 3 months and spent so much time trawling the internet for answers. However, they are really capable machines these Mac Minis, aside from the obvious USB connectivity issues, so hopefully this has sorted it out. 

Good work from RME, this must've been a nightmare for you guys and I appreciate the Customer Support!

206 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2019-03-27 06:02:49)

So, now that MacOS 10.14.4 seems to have fixed the issue with USB and TB3 hub no longer needed, what would be the best 'short safety offset' setting? Disabled (default) or enabled?

donpepperoni wrote:

I've just done the OSX 10.14.4 update to my 2018 Mac Mini (3.2GHz i7 / 32GB) and early days but it seems to be sorted, fingers crossed! On first try I got an audio dropout on my UCX within a minute and my heart sank but then I tried ticking the 'Short Safety Offset' in Fireface USB Settings. It seems to have worked on initial testing. Can anyone else confirm about that box, whether it needs to be ticked or not?

Before updating OSX I was getting all sorts of problems, even using the Caldigit hub suggested earlier in this thread. Audio dropouts in playback but the recorded audio was unusable, full of crackles and weird static. I've basically had an unusable computer for 3 months and spent so much time trawling the internet for answers. However, they are really capable machines these Mac Minis, aside from the obvious USB connectivity issues, so hopefully this has sorted it out. 

Good work from RME, this must've been a nightmare for you guys and I appreciate the Customer Support!

Yeh what does this tick box do?

www.yila.co.uk

iamyila wrote:

Yeh what does this tick box do?

I recall there was something written in the notes of the latest driver installer. I don't have in front of me now for the exact quote but the box was introduced specifically for the 2018 T2 Macs (maybe you know this?).

Just, to me it wasn't clear in the notes exactly what the box does and whether to tick it or not, just wondered? smile

209 (edited by iamyila 2019-03-27 13:04:11)

Ok I’ve no dropouts since updating

And seem to have less cpu usage

Also when I render in real-time in Ableton I always got a cpu dropout at the start without fail, this has also gone

And I have the box unticked in the driver, whatever it’s for!

www.yila.co.uk

iamyila wrote:

Ok I’ve no dropouts since updating

And seem to have less cpu usage

Also when I render in real-time in Ableton I always got a cpu dropout at the start without fail, this has also gone

And I have the box unticked in the driver, whatever it’s for!

That's really strange, I was getting dropouts with the box unticked.... I wouldn't say I've given the computer a good enough workout to say my issues are gone although it hasn't misbehaved yet with the box ticked....

Situation is fixed here as well. Using a Mac Mini 2018 with Mojave 10.14.4 and a Fireface 802. No dropouts all day. Our mastering engineer in the studio is using the same setup as mine, and he has no dropouts all day as well.

Thanks to RME for trying to make the situation less obstructive while Apple worked on the issue!

We have also experienced no dropouts via USB 2.0 in several days of use with genuine Apple adapters.  This goes for class compliant performance with the ADI-2 Pro as well as using RME drivers.

Yesterday we recorded one channel at 44.1/24 through a MADIface Pro and had no problems for half an hour buffering 64 samples.  We left the safety offset box in Fireface USB Settings unticked as this would seem to default to a larger internal buffer, at the expense of increased latency?

In any case, an official statement from RME about whether the tick box is necessary under 10.14.4 would be appreciated, thanks!

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

There can be no general recommendation. Use what works for you. The shorter setting's advantage in latency is small and more kind of a marketing thing, as you will notice when you try it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

214 (edited by dbrenner 2019-03-30 20:36:49)

I have a brand new 2018 i7 3.2 gHz Mac Mini I'm testing, and I bought the recommended CalDigit TB3 hub.

Has anyone here gotten a Babyface to power up via the USB 2.0 port on the CalDigit hub? Mine will not power up via this port (I thought this was true even while connected to power directly as well, but it turns out I forgot that I don't even have a power supply for the Babyface as it isn't provided by default, and it's been many years since I checked). The USB 3.0 port seems to work. Is this normal / can someone please confirm how they're using the USB 2.0 Bus via the CalDigit hub?

Thanks.

EDIT: it seems like perhaps this hub isn't even necessary anymore. Can anyone confirm?

Hello

This whole thread is about confirming that USB now seems to work on the Mac mini, well for me anyway for audio

Although I had some power issues with my Ableton Push and flickering lights on the USB ports of the mini so maybe there still lies a power problem.

www.yila.co.uk

216 (edited by marcus.schuler 2019-04-05 14:11:19)

Hi,

I bought a new MacPro in 2018, paid over $ 8000.- for it.
The distorted audio drove me crazy in the last couple of months because I'm a radio journalist and have to work every day with my audio editing software and my rme babyface.

Since I use this cheap hub they seem to be gone (although just started to use it since yesterday).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788 … &psc=1

Best

Marcus

That hub doesn't help at all. 10.14.4 does.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

218 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2019-04-05 04:35:50)

10.14.4 seems to fix some issues...mostly...but for me, I'm still having issues such as: 1. The MBP does not go to sleep properly and it drains battery when the Babyface Pro is left connected; 2. The MBP sometimes crash when in sleep mode and the Babyface Pro is connected. Those things happen only with Babyface Pro, other USB devices don't show this behavior.

MC wrote:

That hub doesn't help at all. 10.14.4 does.

Doch - tut es.

I have installed 10.14.4 the day it came out. There was no change in my DAW noticable. But as soon I switched from plugin in the babyface on the backside of my iMac Pro 2018 to the front side (the hub) the distortion has vanished.

I'm editing ten hours a day and I can tell the difference!

Sorry, but you confuse readers by writing 'MacPro' while your are using an iMac Pro  - and might be the only one in all our threads. This is a Xeon based server system that might work totally different to everything that we have discussed here. Also 'distortion' was not the problem anymore since December, but dropouts and clicks from time to time. If the iMac Pro 2018 needs a USB hub to work correctly even with 10.14.4 then this is a different issue than what this thread is about.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry. Du hast recht. Habe diesen feinen Unterschied nicht beachtet.

222 (edited by huub.lelieveld 2019-04-09 20:00:16)

Running 10.14.4 (and also 10.14.5 beta1) on a macbook touchbar 15" :
Audio is fine, all is well but.. When running audio live through my madiface USB (through liveprofessor), with basically all buffersizes  CPU usage is quite low and stable.
What does happen however; when I have more than say 10 audiochannels running through liveprofessor, I get usb dropouts (LP reports "show dropouts reported by sound device", I also hear these as tiny drop outs)
When I run at 128 samples with 6 channels running through LP, all stays stable forever it seems.
CPU stays low all the time, and with only 6 channels I can safely add more plugins and have higher CPU usage without dropouts.
So it's not a CPU thing it seems.

Anyone a clue?

Thanks

Huub

(edit: USB is via USB-C, not PCIe via thunderbolt)

I just noticed I get dropbouts whenever the OS does something, just now the 'updates available' dialogue came up and cause a brief dropout, Don't know how to turn this off, turned everything else off in the OS.

www.yila.co.uk

iamyila wrote:

I just noticed I get dropbouts whenever the OS does something, just now the 'updates available' dialogue came up and cause a brief dropout, Don't know how to turn this off, turned everything else off in the OS.

Out of interest what buffer size and software do you use?

We’ve been pretty cavalier with leaving on WiFi, iCloud etc and 10.14.4 + RME’s latest driver is behaving very reliably eg 16 channels at 96/24 on Reaper

Eastwood Records

I was at 1024 when this happened, but I’ve also been getting good performance at 64 since 10.14.14-

I’ve got 32 channels running though, maybe that’s the difference?

Also when bouncing in ableton in real-time (using external gear) I’m still getting the odd dropout, before I got one every time without fail and now it’s like 10% of the time I get on or two dropouts per bounce.

www.yila.co.uk

I don't know how tu upload an image on this forum, but I can assure you that I still have audio dropouts with Mohave 10.14.5 and RME MadiFace USB, with mac mini 2018.

I am using a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock, but still have the issue.

It happens between 2 to six times an hour.

The message from the Apple console is : Kernel audioEngine->getState() =! kIOAudioEnginePaused

And it corresponds to the times where i loose audio.

Looks like the 10.14.4 or 10.14.5 patch is of no use...

MBP M1 Max, 64 Gigs RAM, IOS Ventura
ADI-8 QS and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt

lapieuvre wrote:

I don't know how tu upload an image on this forum, but I can assure you that I still have audio dropouts with Mohave 10.14.5 and RME MadiFace USB, with mac mini 2018.

I am using a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock, but still have the issue.

It happens between 2 to six times an hour.

The message from the Apple console is : Kernel audioEngine->getState() =! kIOAudioEnginePaused

And it corresponds to the times where i loose audio.

Looks like the 10.14.4 or 10.14.5 patch is of no use...

Which DAW software are you using?

Eastwood Records

Ableton Live 10.1

lapieuvre wrote:

Ableton Live 10.1

I wonder if this is the weak link? I've read multiple reports of poor performance in Ableton on here and Gearslutz, regardless of which hardware is being used.

Have you scoured the Ableton forum for similar reports?

Eastwood Records

mjfe87 wrote:
lapieuvre wrote:

Ableton Live 10.1

I wonder if this is the weak link? I've read multiple reports of poor performance in Ableton on here and Gearslutz, regardless of which hardware is being used.

Have you scoured the Ableton forum for similar reports?

No, but I never had any issues like this with previous OS...

And how would you explain the Kernel's "audioEngine->getState() =! kIOAudioEnginePaused" message?

I’m not an expert I’m afraid, you’d need to ask Ableton about Console messages.

Have you tested other audio interfaces? Is it specific to USB 2, 3...or? Etc

Eastwood Records

I think it is specific to USB 2 interfaces.

I have to do a mea culpa here... I had a second USB Audio interface plugged in the computer, an iConnectivityAudio4+.

I disconnected it, and didn't have a single dropout for an hour.  I'll keep testing next week, but Im sure Mojave doesn't like to have 2 audio interfaces connected ...

Hello all, this seemed the most relevant place to post. I need to upgrade my computer and would love one of the new MacBook Pro 15”s. Given the bad press re: these audio glitches I’ve been thinking of switching platforms for the first time in about 15 years. It seems from this thread that the issue ihas been mainly resolved with RME hardware. Have any RME users had these issues continuing to occur with any of the T2 chip macs? This article has made me worried: http://cdm.link/2019/05/apples-latest-m … dio-flaws/ I’m using a Babyface Pro as my interface.

loose the caldigit.. I sold mine, no problems with ableton since new update, infact I'm running at 64 on the buffer a lot of time without any errors at all.. I don't use AU though, maybe it's a plugin issue?

No issues anymore, and I'm sure RME will fix them..

www.yila.co.uk

lapieuvre wrote:

I have to do a mea culpa here... I had a second USB Audio interface plugged in the computer, an iConnectivityAudio4+.

I disconnected it, and didn't have a single dropout for an hour.  I'll keep testing next week, but Im sure Mojave doesn't like to have 2 audio interfaces connected ...

Yes no end of problems running multiple soundcards.. stay away from this.. I also use my iconnect midi as a soundcard for the ipad sometimes but it is not stable, just change driver when I use it for audio and then back to only RME when not

www.yila.co.uk

237 (edited by Helmut Crab 2019-07-19 22:46:29)

johnthemiracle wrote:

i just had an idea for a cheap workaround for those (macmini) owners who have thunderbolt ports available: maybe the apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter would work (suitable for ff 800 and 802 etc), since it has the flash symbol on it and is an original apple accessory? and it's only 35€, so it would be the cheapest workaround so far. i'll try and let you know.

MC wrote:

Others here already confirmed that this works.

Hi MC, i get easily confused but can you confirm that i would need apple firewire to thunderbolt adapter into a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 ( usb c ) adapter to get my 802 to work without issue with a 2019 MBP please or will usb to usb c work now ?

Been a long while but would i still have to use usb to usb c to update 802 firmware please ? I seem to remember you cant use firewire for updates ?
Cheers

Yes, the 802 needs USB for firmware updates. And yes again, it should work with the latest OS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi there,

I've followed previous suggestions but I'm still experiencing regular audio dropouts on Babyface Pro - every 10 seconds or so in Cubase

Computer: Macbook Pro 15 inch 2019 model (15.1) running 10.14.6 OS
Updated RME firmware (101) and v3.18 drivers

I've tried hooking up directly with adapter and using TB3 Startech dock (TB3DK2DHV) but I'm getting the same issue.

Anything else I should be trying?

Thanks,R

I also have 2019 Macbook Pro 15’’ and a problem with dropouts (in Ableton though) sad

241 (edited by Helmut Crab 2019-10-02 21:42:46)

I sent back a 2018 mbp 15" on current mojave. Had issues before even had chance to try with my 802.
searching web for T2 issues / kernel panics / crashes finds many problems since 2018 model macs with new T2 chip. Its not just usb 2 devices affected but perhaps updates since the 10.14.4 usb fix have affected it ?
I feel his pain ; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IpFDlUoUazc&t=373s

242 (edited by dvdr 2019-12-02 02:12:46)

iamyila wrote:

Yes no end of problems running multiple soundcards.. stay away from this

Does this apply to a combo of UFX II and Fireface 800 as well?

Just following this thread because I wanted to buy a Mac Mini 2018.
I am using Pro Tools and Logic Pro X. Also need to work with Virtual Instruments (meaning up to about 30-40 tracks with very low latency when „recording“ the individual tracks). Maybe I should rethink and buy a used „Trashcan“ with 12 cores and 128GB RAM (also would not have to fiddle around with tons of adapters like with the Mac Mini)

We are experiencing the bitcrushed effect on several macs on Pro tools 2019.12. Mostly on Mac Minis from 2014 (several times a day), but also we have seen it (but rarely) on trashcans. It is always accompanied by a cpu error.

Will a Thunderbolt to USB hub solve this even though the computers are all upgraded to the newest Mojave version?

Hi Guys!
I'm running a late 2015 IMAC with 10.14.02  and using my FireFace 400 which I have used for like 10 years on my older machine without any problems at all (2009 iMac) The interface is connected via a solid fire wire cable and a thunderbolt adaptor.  I'm getting glitches, bit crusher, sample rate change kind of distortions etc, usually when I input audio into the FF400 - it does not happen all the time - rather on a random tip, but sometimes its so bad that I can't work at all. This is frustrating... I'm not a big computer guy, and kind of getting a bit overwhelmed. Could anybody please enlighten/advice me what I could/should do ? greets!

You need to use a power supply for the FF400.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I use the original power supply, it's not working without it. I also checked both ports on the interface & computer.

I've been using a FF800 on every Mac I owned since 2011, until Mojave without issues.

My thoughts:  1.Update Mojave to 10.14.6.  2. Maybe you FF400 is defective?

My experience over the last 2 weeks with a brand new Mac Mini late 2018 evidenced frequent audio dropouts over USB 2, bizarre screen behavior, very peculiar requests to change my machine password, and odd “cannot connect to network” errors.  I returned the unit for a full refund.  My Mac Mini late 2012 continues to perform flawlessly.  As a longtime Apple user, Count me extremely disappointed in the brand, and willing to look for PC solutions instead.  Mr Cook needs to focus on quality products that offer great user experiences instead of whatever he’s been doing for the past few years. Just my opinion...

249 (edited by Helmut Crab 2020-08-14 14:39:32)

gldadis wrote:

My experience over the last 2 weeks with a brand new Mac Mini late 2018 evidenced frequent audio dropouts over USB 2, bizarre screen behavior, very peculiar requests to change my machine password, and odd “cannot connect to network” errors.  I returned the unit for a full refund.  My Mac Mini late 2012 continues to perform flawlessly.  As a longtime Apple user, Count me extremely disappointed in the brand, and willing to look for PC solutions instead.  Mr Cook needs to focus on quality products that offer great user experiences instead of whatever he’s been doing for the past few years. Just my opinion...

I agree. On apple since 2011. I returned 15" 2018 and now 2019 16" mbp due to same persistent network issue, crashes, poor osx, too hot for lap. Both times never even got to try interface.

£3k+ mac cant connect to Hub / network ( took 3 days once ) but £50 amazon tablet never a problem. Network overload was not the issue either.

Rubbish experience.