Topic: Recommended method for changing sample rate

Our MADI rig often behaves unpredictably when attempting to change sample rate.

We usually run 2 x Micstasy + 1 x XTC into a MADIface Pro with the first Micstasy set as master and everything else slaving via MADI.

When I tried to change the sample rate from 44.1k to 96k, the MADIface kept getting stuck on 60k.  I tried using MIDI Remote software, switching on the devices themselves and through Reaper which has an option to control sample rate.  I even tried setting the MADIface as master, but none of these methods worked.

What is the recommended procedure for changing SR?  Should I expect the slave devices to be changed manually as well as the master (either remotely or in person)?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Re: Recommended method for changing sample rate

The MADIface should be master and slave all other units. Then changing the sample rate is easy by changing it via your current DAW. The MADIface (none of our interfaces ) will not change the sample rate just because the external one changes it. That would cause havoc in any DAW.

If you stay with your current setup change the sample rate  for the MADIface also, actively, by doing this in the Settings dialog or the ASIO DAW.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2019-02-06 06:00:30)

I have included this information in my blog article:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ct-Review/

"Note for the clock configuration. It is recommended to make the device the Clock Master, which is directly connected to the PC. This is the only way to ensure that the sample rate selected in the DAW project is set on the main interface and automatically adopted by the devices connected behind it (configured as clock slaves).
In this setup you would make the HDSPe MADI FX the clock master by setting "Clock Source: internal" in the RME driver settings dialog. All other devices then learn the clock automatically as "clock slave" via a digital input: the ADI-2 Pro FS via the AES input and the other devices connected to the MADI bus via MADI."

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

The MADIface should be master and slave all other units. Then changing the sample rate is easy by changing it via your current DAW. The MADIface (none of our interfaces ) will not change the sample rate just because the external one changes it. That would cause havoc in any DAW.

If you stay with your current setup change the sample rate  for the MADIface also, actively, by doing this in the Settings dialog or the ASIO DAW.

Thanks both — I of course attempted to switch SR in Reaper and the Fireface USB settings app but it kept switching back after a second, even after I’d manually changed the SR on the preamps. Could this be a bug?

FYI Hugh Robjohns in Sound on Sound once recommended making the A/D converter the master for best clock performance which is why I went down this route. Will try the interface next time, thanks.

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

MC told on forum, that the ADI-2 Pro/* refreshes the clock signal that it gets and performs AD/DA conversion
with it's own internal clock.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

mjfe87 wrote:

Thanks both — I of course attempted to switch SR in Reaper and the Fireface USB settings app but it kept switching back after a second, even after I’d manually changed the SR on the preamps. Could this be a bug?.

After you changed the preamps it must work.

mjfe87 wrote:

FYI Hugh Robjohns in Sound on Sound once recommended making the A/D converter the master for best clock performance which is why I went down this route.

That's a typical recommendation for devices having no active jitter suppression. SteadyClock takes care of that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME