Topic: ADI-2 Pro as a Monitor Controller

I've recently setup my ADI-2 Pro as a monitor controller.  I couldn't find a lot of information about this topic, so I thought I would post my findings.  It can provide one-button selection of USB or DAC mode, selection between two sets of speakers (one either balanced or unbalanced, the other unbalanced), mono L + R, mono L - R, and use of headphone or speakers.

In my case, I'm using it to alternate between using my primary speakers (Focal Shape 50's) full-range, or using my speakers with subs (SVS SB-2000's) with appropriate high-pass and low-pass filters. I'll describe my setup, but you could do something similar for two sets of full-range speakers, as long as you don't mind running one of them unbalanced.

One aspect of the ADI-2 PRO that is not given the credit it deserves is that the four push-buttons on the front can be programmed to change certain configuration items and to call up a preset. What makes this incredibly powerful is that each of the 9 presets can have the four buttons programmed independently.

I have 8 presets programmed using the ADI-2 PRO's eq, mono, phase reverse, and mute capabilities to give me:

1) Focal's connected balanced (1/2 XLR jacks on back) with an ADI-2 PRO high-pass filter, 80 Hz at 12 dB/octave and the sub's connected unbalanced (3/4 TRS jack on front) with an ADI-2 PRO low-pass filter, 80 Hz at 12 dB/octave.

2) Focal's balanced (1/2 XLR jacks on back) full-range, with sub's muted.

3) Focal's balanced full-range, mono, with sub's muted.

4) Focal's balanced full-range, mono, right channel reversed phase, with sub's muted

The above presets are used with both outputs 1/2 and 3/4 fed from SPDIF (coax) from my multi-channel interface. Presets 5, 6, 7, and 8 duplicate the same presets but fed from the ADI-2 PRO USB, sometimes I like to use the ADI-2 PRO as my interface.

Then I set up the push-buttons so that encoder 1 (VOL) alternates between preset 1 and 5 (DAC and USB modes), encoder 2 (I/0) alternates between preset 2 and 6, etc. In each Preset, the push-buttons are set up so that pressing the same button alternates between DAC and USB mode, but pressing a different button selects the relevant preset in the same mode as currently set.

By the way, I constantly have my Sennheiser 600's plugged into the front HP 1/2 jack and can switch back and forth between any of the speaker config's and full-range headphones by just pressing the Volume knob for 1/2 a second.

It might sound complicated, but using it is really, really simple and it's amazingly versatile!  In my case, the ADI-2 Pro does everything I need in a monitor controller, without the extra expense and signal degradation of a separate controller.  An additional monitor controller with the same functions and with equivalent signal quality would be very expensive, comparable in cost to the ADI-2 Pro itself, so for this use the ADI-2 Pro is a real bargain!

Re: ADI-2 Pro as a Monitor Controller

If I understand correctly you use the Adi 2 pro to filter simultaneously the monitors (high pass) and the subwoofer (low pass) connected respectively to the balanced and unbalanced output ?

If it is the case, thanks for the information, I did not realise that is was possible to applied different filter settings simultaneously for the both kinds of output.

RME Babyface pro, Cubase 2 for Ios, RME ADI-2 Dac

TGNV wrote:

If I understand correctly you use the Adi 2 pro to filter simultaneously the monitors (high pass) and the subwoofer (low pass) connected respectively to the balanced and unbalanced output ?

If it is the case, thanks for the information, I did not realise that is was possible to applied different filter settings simultaneously for the both kinds of output.

You can use either pair of outputs on the back for a balanced or unbalanced pair of speakers, and the PH 3/4 on the front for an unbalanced pair of speakers (or subs).

Outs 1/2 on the back and PH 3/4 on the front can be independently treated, including filter settings.  Please note that the XLR 1/2 and the TS 1/2 on the back cannot be independently treated.

Hello , and thank you for your nice post.
so you can use out 1/2 and ph 3/4 independently  , question : can you use 2  sets  of 5eq different filter , plus in another line
high pass and low pass + delay if needed . correct ?
thanks

Hey the Les. I run a studio and I'd love to use the ADI-2 as a 2 channel capture device and monitor controller, but I can't seem to figure out if it it possible to get it to function the way I need.

I've read the manual a bit and I get that I can reassign the buttons, but I'm curious if you'd be willing to chat with me to figure out if it will work as based on what you've done, you seem to be pretty much an expert on this device at this point.

In short, I need to be able to choose what I'm listening to between AES, spdif, and analog AND I need to be able to select between 2 sets of speaker outputs (speakers A will be connected to AES out and speakers B will be connected to analog out 1/2).

I need to be able to push 1 button and switch from speaker A to B, and it seems this may be possible through clever programming. Does this forum have private messages? I signed up just to try to get in conversation with you. You can easily reach me at ezrashanti@gmail.com and I'm also happy to chat on the phone if you're in the USA.

Thanks!
Ezra

g.carletto wrote:

Hello , and thank you for your nice post.
so you can use out 1/2 and ph 3/4 independently  , question : can you use 2  sets  of 5eq different filter , plus in another line
high pass and low pass + delay if needed . correct ?
thanks

Hi Carletto, I'm so sorry, I didn't get a notification about your question, I didn't see it till now.  Yes, you should be able to do what you want to do with no problem.

ezrashanti wrote:

Hey the Les. I run a studio and I'd love to use the ADI-2 as a 2 channel capture device and monitor controller, but I can't seem to figure out if it it possible to get it to function the way I need.

I've read the manual a bit and I get that I can reassign the buttons, but I'm curious if you'd be willing to chat with me to figure out if it will work as based on what you've done, you seem to be pretty much an expert on this device at this point.

In short, I need to be able to choose what I'm listening to between AES, spdif, and analog AND I need to be able to select between 2 sets of speaker outputs (speakers A will be connected to AES out and speakers B will be connected to analog out 1/2).

I need to be able to push 1 button and switch from speaker A to B, and it seems this may be possible through clever programming. Does this forum have private messages? I signed up just to try to get in conversation with you. You can easily reach me at ezrashanti@gmail.com and I'm also happy to chat on the phone if you're in the USA.

Thanks!
Ezra

Hi Ezra.  What I would do in your situation is something like this:

Button 1 (whichever you want): Press for AES input and AES output (Speaker A).  Press again to toggle to AES input and analog output (Speaker B).

Button 2:  Press for SPDIF input and AES output.  Press again to toggle to SPDIF input and analog output.

Button 3:  Press for analog input and AES output.  Press again to toggle to analog input and analog output.

Button 4:  Make coffee.

I haven't looked at programming since I set mine up, but I believe this programming would be trivial (except maybe Button 4).  If I wasn't clear enough, you can email me at lesczegel@gmail.com

I'm in Canada near Toronto.  Where are you?  This week and next are particularly busy for me, but reading week is the week of Feb. 24 to 28, I'd have lots of time to help then.

Take care,
Les

Thanks for getting back to me. I also need to be able to  play audio from my operating system (sometimes windows, sometimes osx). Does the ADI-2 Pro show up under sound settings and could I use button 4 to toggle usb audio as the input and aes / analog output (as you recommended with the others but a fourth input)?

Also, can you confirm...is knob A at the top right by default set to mute the current output when clicked? I need quick muting functionality available at all times.

By the way, I don't own the device yet, but I'm making this consideration in context of installing into a producer's desk on a console and it will require custom metal work and must be used for 5 years without changes so I definitely need to confirm it's going to be a good fit before making the leap.

I really want the option to capture mixes at 352.8k and I like the possibility of having a high sample rate compatible headphone amp available front and center, as well as the nice meter and form factor.

Thanks,
Ezra

If you buy the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE you get a remote that includes buttons for most of your wishes already, others can be programmed as suggested by LesC. If that's not enough you could even get yourself a Harmony remote and have even more buttons available.

That doesn't mean or guarantee that all you plan to do will work. Statements like 'front and center' call for trouble, unless front and rear was meant.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,
Thanks for the input, yes the remote would be useful addition to give artists on the couch, but I need something stationary with tactile buttons for engineers to switch the input / outputs.

Can you confirm that I could program button 4 on the front to select usb as a source?

As far as front and center in regards to the overall control room, as in it would be inset into my console producers desk facing up so it's easily reachable.

Also, can you confirm that knob a typically will be sent to mute the chosen output? Or at least it can be programmed to do such?

If I do custom program the four buttons on the front, how do I reach the settings menu?

Is there a feature request thread for this device? My request would be to be able to program clicking the volume knob for mute and program clicking knob a or b to switch outputs between digital aes out and analog 1/2 out.

Thanks!

One of the reasons to add the remote was not remote per se, but having more operating and programmable buttons! Imagine you fix the remote (which is flat and light weight) with double sided tape near the unit - then you have an extended operating surface. Do not only think about the couch potato case wink

Please download and read the manual to get an idea what can be done. The big knob selects the two analog outputs, therefore Mute is not possible. But the remote has mute, global and per output. The Settings menu is reached by pressing the button more long (if remapped).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm a little baffled by the amount of settings in this and yet the fact you can't select the input source for the main output. I need to be able to select between main out (which is set to digital out on aes) and analog out 1/2, not headphone output 3/4. And no I will not use an unbalanced splitter cable for my secondary monitors in a professional studio situation.

I've figured out how to setup different "setups" and rename them, and I can select the output configurations I need for each, but I was told I could hit a button to select Setup 1, and then hit that same button to change the output from AES to analog 1/2, but I don't see how to do that.

Can I get some guidance on this please?