Topic: BF Pro Monitor calibration

I'm trying to understand the process of calibrating listening levels.

There are 3 volume controls in the chain :
1) The DAW master output volume fader
2) The Babyface Pro master volume fader
3) The physical knobs on each monitor

What level should the babyface pro fader be set at before I calibrate the monitors to 80db with a SPL meter?

Re: BF Pro Monitor calibration

1) 0 dB
2) -10 dB
3) adjust to 80 dB SPL

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Waltong 2019-04-12 09:48:53)

MC wrote:

1) 0 dB
2) -10 dB
3) adjust to 80 dB SPL

Thanks for the reply. How is the -10 dB decided? I am using the k-20 -20dB metering standard in my DAW, so I thought maybe it would make sense to match - 20dB on the babyface in totalmix.

Also, this is from the babyface specification for the outputs 1 and 2:
Output level @ 0 dBFS: Balanced +19 dBu, unbalanced +13 dBu

What is a good way to understand those different numbers?

don't over think it. Just try it. Send your test signal with 1) and 2) set. Adjust your monitor volume on the monitors so you get 80db SPL. Work for a while with it and see if it works for you.

If you notice you need to constantly either go above -10db or much lower then -10db to work pleasantly, you know you have to make some adjustments.

The output levels are not interesting since your monitors react to them in their own way.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I'm looking to increase my education. Is the -10dB level related to something specific or just an arbitrary number?

6 (edited by vinark 2019-04-12 16:56:49)

In my experience it is somewhat arbitrary. It is a good value to have some extra gain if needed (10db), but not to low to risk extremely loud blasts. Say you use -30db@80db SPL. If for some reason you get a blast of audio while at 0db level it will be 110db SPL. -20db will give you a risk of 100db and -10 90db.

So -10 seems like a good idea. But so do -12 or -8 etc

Where exactness is needed is when connecting audio devices. You need to be able to trust that if you send 0db to a device it will also arrive as 0db there. This does not apply to speakers since there is no general agreement on what output for example 19dbu should give in db SPL. Fully open most active speakers are way to loud, of course to prevent complaints like my speakers don't go loud enough.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Given that the Voltage spec for Babyface Pro at 0dBfs on the fader = +19dBu... This would mean that -15dBfs on the fader would equal +4dBu correct? +4dBu is traditionally the 0 mark on VU meters related to voltage in the analog realm.

Does it make sense to keep the BF Pro fader level at -15dBfs in order to achieve maximum voltage efficiency to the active monitors?

I calibrated to K20.  A few things:

You have to consider the size of your room when setting a reference level.  Maybe you have.  Sound On Sound has a good article (bottom of linked page):
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques … els?page=3

80dBC is borderline small concert level.  By comparison, I've set mine to somewhere between high 60's and low 70s; I prefer it slightly on the quiet side.  I know where I'm at though. 

Secondly, All your faders should be at 0dB when you run your calibration.  DAW, TMFX, any in-line mixers, etc.  Everything unity.  The only thing you should be adjusting is your pink noise and monitor gain. 

The only thing the dip switch on BFPFS is for is to deliver your monitors an idealized level.  Powered monitors, specifically ones like the Yamaha HS50 that I have, allow for a range of input signals to achieve a given volume.  However, the knobs will give you the most adjustment if you have them near the center.  If you use +4dBu into these monitors, you have to turn them all the way down.  The knobs aren't that great so it makes it more challenging to dial in a precisely matched level in each one.  -10dBV has been fantastic for me. 

I don't worry about TMFX in this process.  It should be doing nothing.  If you want to shift K scales, I suggest you do it in an external monitor controller.  Personally, I'm moving faders like crazy in TMFX and would hate to have to mentally adjust all the time.  I just know where I need to be so I leave it at K20 and turn faders down if I have to, when listening to YouTube or mastering.

Very helpful Hexspa, thank you!

Hexspa wrote:

I calibrated to K20.  A few things:

You have to consider the size of your room when setting a reference level.  Maybe you have.  Sound On Sound has a good article (bottom of linked page):
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques … els?page=3

80dBC is borderline small concert level.  By comparison, I've set mine to somewhere between high 60's and low 70s; I prefer it slightly on the quiet side.  I know where I'm at though. 

Secondly, All your faders should be at 0dB when you run your calibration.  DAW, TMFX, any in-line mixers, etc.  Everything unity.  The only thing you should be adjusting is your pink noise and monitor gain. 

The only thing the dip switch on BFPFS is for is to deliver your monitors an idealized level.  Powered monitors, specifically ones like the Yamaha HS50 that I have, allow for a range of input signals to achieve a given volume.  However, the knobs will give you the most adjustment if you have them near the center.  If you use +4dBu into these monitors, you have to turn them all the way down.  The knobs aren't that great so it makes it more challenging to dial in a precisely matched level in each one.  -10dBV has been fantastic for me. 

I don't worry about TMFX in this process.  It should be doing nothing.  If you want to shift K scales, I suggest you do it in an external monitor controller.  Personally, I'm moving faders like crazy in TMFX and would hate to have to mentally adjust all the time.  I just know where I need to be so I leave it at K20 and turn faders down if I have to, when listening to YouTube or mastering.