Re: Recommended reading for EQ

Good work Bliman! it starts to look good smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:

Good work Bliman! it starts to look good smile

Thank you.

This is the latest curve I have.
What do you guys think?
https://ibb.co/prCdxzf

454 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-17 00:44:49)

Hi Bliman!!

Quite Nice overall.  Fine Work!!   

We COULD trim the 35hz bump with a Narrow/High Q filter at 35 hz.   The rest is A-OK and the slight "tilt" up in the Bass Range could be a bit of Room Gain, but it is not so much that it would spoil your listening.  Not at all.  Rather "Harman Curve" like. smile

Happy Listening!!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Bliman!!

Quite Nice overall.  Fine Work!!   

We COULD trim the 35hz bump with a Narrow/High Q filter at 35 hz.   The rest is A-OK and the slight "tilt" up in the Bass Range could be a bit of Room Gain, but it is not so much that it would spoil your listening.  Not at all.  Rather "Harman Curve" like. smile

Happy Listening!!

Curt

Thank you very much. And thanks for the help. It sounds very nice.
I think I will leave it this way. It has just enough bass and very clean bass too.
Thanks for your generosity and help.
And happy listening to you too.

And Merry Christmas to You Bliman!!  We try to help one another here on this Forum when we can.  So nice that you were able to achieve such a fine result so quickly!

All the Best to You!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

And Merry Christmas to You Bliman!!  We try to help one another here on this Forum when we can.  So nice that you were able to achieve such a fine result so quickly!

All the Best to You!

Curt

Sorry for lingering on.
But know that you helping people this way is wonderful.
I also wish you happy holidays. Till next time.

458 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-17 02:58:18)

Bliman..."Lingering On?"  You can't just go silent. smile

We now expect that you'll share your new abilities with others!!   smile

Where are you located on Earth??

Best Regards,

Curt

PS:  We can go further with your Room!  If you choose.  Oh...my Mirror Trick to identify First Reflection Points is great fun smile

Sharpens Stereo Imaging....

Curt962 wrote:

Bliman..."Lingering On?"  You can't just go silent. smile

We now expect that you'll share your new abilities with others!!   smile

Where are you located on Earth??

Best Regards,

Curt

PS:  We can go further with your Room!  If you choose.  Oh...my Mirror Trick to identify First Reflection Points is great fun smile

Sharpens Stereo Imaging....

I live in Belgium.
I just tried my best to measure everything and try to eq as best as I can.
Tell me more about your mirror trick smile if you have the time. My stereo image has greatly benefited from the measurements and placement.

460 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-19 01:28:43)

Hi Bliman!

Belgie!  So...We are already on good terms, as I've enjoyed many Stella Artois in my Years!  smile

The "Mirror Trick":  For this, you will need a basic Handheld Mirror, and a Helper.   The Purpose of this "Test" is to identify First Reflection Points on your Walls.  ( These Reflection Points can be quite strong, and can be sometimes perceived by the Ear/Brain as TWO SEPERATE sound souces,.or when that First Reflection Point is very near the Speaker, the Ear perceives that sound as being simply Louder  )    No amount of EQ can truly correct this.  The Room Acoustic must be modified)   

EZ Procedure: 

You sit in your Main Listening Spot, as the Helper slides the Mirror along the Side walls at approx Speaker Height.   When YOU see the Speaker in the Mirror, MARK that spot with a bit of Adhesive Tape.   THAT is a First Reflection Point!   That Spot is a good place to mount an Acoustic Panel.   These Panels lessen the strength of that Reflection, and can quite often significantly Sharpen/Focus the Stereo Imaging.   Fun Stuff, and 100% BS Free smile

Your Room, with so much Angularity in the Dimensions is a bit unique, but FRPs must go away.    Lets Start Small, and Focus on your Side Walls for now.   You'll enjoy this!

Best to You,

Curt

Hello, everyone! I'm new here, happy to have found a group that values great sound, math, and practicality. This is my current setup:

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/stereo.jpg

Mark Levinson #39 CD/DAC, #331 amplifier, NHT 3.3 speakers, Transparent Reference XL wiring. All were purchased in 1982 and have given me years of pleasure. I moved to Phoenix and have a much larger listening room than before. This is the floor plan (oops, the floor plan will be in the next post per forum settings).

This is a great thread that I've read beginning to end. My setup is different than what's been considered here before due to the inward-facing woofers of the 3.3s. It should also prove interesting in that I will be changing from the #39 to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS that will arrive tomorrow.

This room has a k i tchen behind the camera, so there's a lot of length as well as volume. Using the good old Stereophile Test CD #1, I've achieved decent EQ from speaker placement and room treatment. There isn't much WAF, but I want a balance between functional and attractive. The front wall is treated 3' up the wall with floor-to-ceiling bass traps. The black floor mats are to keep soft-tip darts from damage, not acoustic room treatment by intent.

A UMIK-1 is arriving tonight. I'm going to get REW measurements using the #39 and compare them to the same measurements made with the RME driving the #331. REW will also be used to  tune the room as well as possible without EQ, primarily to remove nulls. After the placement is optimized, REW and the RME EQ bands will be used from a good starting point. I'm wondering if it would be more interesting to remove nulls using the #39, then swap in the RME and run the comparison test.

The room has glass. When I was doing the acoustic treatment, I read about the problems of glass. One might notice how perfectly the rock collection covers both the first and second reflection points (sigh). And while it isn't visible here, the wine cooler at the left has glass doors. In the pursuit of beautiful music, I've made a CAD drawing of the BAD Panel diffuser that I'll cut on a laser or CNC router. They are 2'x2' and might be sufficient with one on each side, and the patent says that they can be inverted for adjacent placement to reach 2'x4'. An experiment with some absorption panels on art easels made the image noticeably better. Obviously, I'd be well-served by moving the rock collection, but it's so nice to look at while relaxing with music!

That's it for now. I look forward to working with this group, as I know you can help this system reach peak performance. I hope you will find the #39/RME comparison an interesting look at excellent vintage equipment and excellent new equipment.

Here is the floor plan:

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/room.png

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Bliman!

Belgie!  So...We are already on good terms, as I've enjoyed many Stella Artois in my Years!  smile

The "Mirror Trick":  For this, you will need a basic Handheld Mirror, and a Helper.   The Purpose of this "Test" is to identify First Reflection Points on your Walls.  ( These Reflection Points can be quite strong, and can be sometimes perceived by the Ear/Brain as TWO SEPERATE sound souces,.or when that First Reflection Point is very near the Speaker, the Ear perceives that sound as being simply Louder  )    No amount of EQ can truly correct this.  The Room Acoustic must be modified)   

EZ Procedure: 

You sit in your Main Listening Spot, as the Helper slides the Mirror along the Side walls at approx Speaker Height.   When YOU see the Speaker in the Mirror, MARK that spot with a bit of Adhesive Tape.   THAT is a First Reflection Point!   That Spot is a good place to mount an Acoustic Panel.   These Panels lessen the strength of that Reflection, and can quite often significantly Sharpen/Focus the Stereo Imaging.   Fun Stuff, and 100% BS Free smile

Your Room, with so much Angularity in the Dimensions is a bit unique, but FRPs must go away.    Lets Start Small, and Focus on your Side Walls for now.   You'll enjoy this!

Best to You,

Curt

Thanks for the help. I will try that in the future. And if you want something stronger next time then you can drink a Duvel smile .

464 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-21 01:08:11)

Oh Wow!!  Good Ol' Bliman with Beer recommendations, and a new Thread participant Randy54!   "A Christmas Miracle!!"

Welcome Randy!!

Randy, I just got back to base, so let me browse thru your set-up, with a cold Dominican Beer before Spouting too much.

I do admire that you have the Courage of your Convictions  so as not to replace Gear every 4weeks.  A 38yr old DAC/CD however?  .whew!    The ADI-2DAC is at the Cutting Edge of 2020 Pro Digital Tech, and WILL amaze you!!   

Welcome Aboard

Curt

So anyway Randy..

PHX.  I based out of Sky Harbor some years ago.  Lived just off of Baseline in Tempe.   Nice area...in January!

On Topic, looking at your Floor Plan, I see a nice Equilateral Triangle re: Speaker/Seating.     The 1950s Stereophonic Basics still apply.   Good on You!

Perhaps it's your Camera Angle, but are the Tweeters of your Speakers REALLY below Ear Level?    No no!!

The Glass Case on the Right Wall concerns me.   Perilously close to a FRP, and nothing reflects Sound like Glass!

Otherwise, without seeing contradictory measurement Data, I'd wager that your install sounds quite nice!!    Just wait until your new ADI-2 DAC goes on line!!   My Friend, THAT is an upgrade of Biblical Proportion, and that is NOT Audiophile BS!!

Your new UMik is a great piece of Kit!!  You'll like that, and REW almost expects that you're using the Umik.   Simplicity, and Common Sense personified.

Anyway...when time permits, collect a few sweeps, and post your results.  1/3 Octave smoothing is ideal for our Rooms IMO.

I feel good about your Set Up already.

Curt

I do admire that you have the Courage of your Convictions not to replace Gear every 4 weeks.

Vielen Dank! I wish it was attributed to conviction; the pause is more properly called Children. But now, both have graduated, one has two children and the other is getting married in March. College tuition and audiophile passion were mutually exclusive to me.

A 38yr old DAC/CD however...whew!

Uh, but "it's a Levinson!" It does sound sweet to this day, honestly. Your strong endorsement of RME makes me even less patient to hear it myself.

Stella is my favorite fallback. Franziskaner Hefeweizen tops my list. After enjoying Cherry Hefeweizen in a Munch Biergarten a few Oktoberfests ago, I drop three cherries into the Hef - to the dismay of those around me. smile

Perhaps it's your Camera Angle, but are the Tweeters of your Speakers REALLY below Ear Level?

No, it's a visual artifact. They are exactly at ear level. The front is angled inward by 21 degrees, in NHT style of the day. They are outstanding speakers even after time and a number of fried tweeters and XO's from using two bridged 331's.

The Glass Case on the Right Wall concerns me.   Perilously close to a FRP, and nothing reflects Sound like Glass!

It's an excellent and annoying reflector. The display case is quite well-positioned for both first and second reflections. I hung a comforter over it to hear the (obvious) difference. This is a form/function conflict I have yet to resolve.

I'll post some sweeps in a day or two. Thanks for your thoughts!

Manoman...

Beer discussions.   I trust MC will understand that our TRUE intent is to engage in banter which leads the user to a greater appreciation of the RME product..

We're good here. smile

Randy, Digital Tech is SO FAR beyond that of 1982!   I was an Audiophile Hack then too!   So much more is not just "possible", but quite TYPICAL today!!      Bear in Mind that RME Gear is often the Defacto Standard in Studios where Music is Produced.   The Brand achieved that status through fanatical attention to engineering.  Not BS Audio Reviews.   Experts choose RME.   Glad you did too!

Curt

469 (edited by Randy54 2019-12-21 01:37:49)

Bear in Mind that RME Gear is often the Defacto Standard in Studios where Music is Produced.   The Brand achieved that status through fanatical attention to engineering.  Not BS Audio Reviews.

I've read the numerous accolades granted RME and chose it for this reason. Now I have much less trepidation about its musicality.

Unfortunately, I also bought a piece of Schiit equipment that's still in transit, a Magni 3+. It seems that "BS Audio Reviews" is quite appropriate.

I should mention that a pillow is usually over the back of the listening chair. The sides of the chair are fairly significant reflectors on their own. The pillow will be there for the sweeps.

Glass Cases...

Oh My.  Randy, we have a China Cabinet in a space attached to the Listening Room.   I have spent untold amounts of time "Silencing" that thing.   Without attention, it seems SO unusual to have something akin to the Westminster Abbey Bell Choir accompanying every piece of Music we play.   Wife has received Training regarding placement of Glasswares.  smile

Some things NEED to be done.

Curt

Some things NEED to be done.

I was afraid you'd say that.

As I read it, you "hear" the China Cabinet even though it is not in close proximity to the speakers. That's an even bigger disappointment than simply having the Truth reinforced. I'll throw the comforter over the display case for the sweeps... and then take it off and sweep it again. That should be revealing!

472 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-21 02:43:35)

Actually, we purchased some of that Rubberized, Net Shelf Lining material.  Worked a Treat!   Not certain it's "Audio Grade" Rubber, but it SURE shut that Cabinet up!   smile

Seriously Randy...it's Dumb Schiit like that that spoils the show.  Get me??

473 (edited by Randy54 2019-12-21 02:52:42)

Get me??

100%. I was just examining alternative locations. The case is at the lower-right of the floor plan, about where the 2.59m is. It could move around the corner counterclockwise. There it would be protected from direct waves by the corner, but would get first reflections from the short wall across from it. SRP is fairly dispersed by the 3D shapes in the k i tchen.

Ya know Randy, just MOVE the thing.  Get it out of Harms Way. 

Curt

Will do. However, in order to make it more fun, I'll do a sweep before and after I move it, no comforter. I see the UMIK was just delivered, gotta go to the Neighborhood Post Box Matrix.

Merci, mon ami... Randy

And where is our Good Friend "N00b" when we need him?   As a Parisienne...He'll get our French sorted out in a hurry. smile

477 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-21 04:40:05)

Randy,  I think our best, first course of action would be for you to spend a few weeks with your new ADI-2 DAC.  Get a feel for it's clarity!

My Wife is still freaked out.  "It's like they're STANDING THERE!!"  (RE:  Any Record from the King's Singers,etc)

Afterward...we can make adjustments if needed.  Get us some data, and in the meantime...we'll temporarily shut up. smile

Best to You

Curt

And where is our Good Friend "N00b" when we need him?

Sleeping, I presume. GMT+1. The UMIK records music very well in Audacity. REW/CalFile/Java8 are installed and scattered detritus has been removed from the listening room. Display case unchanged from OP. Time for the first measurement.

"A sweep is as lucky as lucky can be."

• Hallo, Willem... Yello speeled nu op de stereo. Ik hoorde Yello voor het eerst in Zaandam. Waar woon jij? Beste groetjes uit Phoenix.

Bon jour, NOOb,

Appeler toutes les Parisiennes. Temps mathématiques!

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/eiffel1.jpg

479 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-21 04:59:12)

Hah hah!!   Our Friend N00b is a Giant amongst Men, and his Wife is a Cellist.   Audiophile BS cannot exist in their Presence.  smile

Wonderful Persons to have in our Midst

PS:  Thanks to N00b, I have learned another part of the Franzosich Lexicon that I am sadly...unable to share on a "Family" Forum.  smile

Fun Stuff tho!!

480 (edited by Randy54 2019-12-21 05:48:00)

...that I am sadly...unable to share on a "Family" Forum

We all seem to enjoy learning "four-letter words", whatever the language. Merde.

Here is the first sweep, L+R. I just set up REW and the UMIK tonight and haven't yet found the REW smoothing filters. This uses whatever smoothing is REW default.

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/sweep1.png

In general, it looks pretty nice, but the null around 60Hz is extreme. Perhaps I should be happy that there's no 60Hz component smile, but that's a broad null. Curt, NOOb, Sparkydude, this is where experience reigns supreme. All input is appreciated!

A glass of Sauternes is in order.

'night all

Hmmm... 60Hz * 5.5 is 330 Hz. That's not an integral harmonic, but the shape of the curves and the N plus one-half ratio seem to relate the two nulls.

482 (edited by Jas0_0 2019-12-21 10:15:24)

Randy54 wrote:

...that I am sadly...unable to share on a "Family" Forum

We all seem to enjoy learning "four-letter words", whatever the language. Merde.

Here is the first sweep, L+R. I just set up REW and the UMIK tonight and haven't yet found the REW smoothing filters. This uses whatever smoothing is REW default.

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/sweep1.png

In general, it looks pretty nice, but the null around 60Hz is extreme. Perhaps I should be happy that there's no 60Hz component smile, but that's a broad null. Curt, NOOb, Sparkydude, this is where experience reigns supreme. All input is appreciated!

A glass of Sauternes is in order.

'night all

Others might have other ideas, but I reckon that 60Hz null is due to a cancellation and could probably be fixed easily by moving the speakers and/or listening position forwards or backwards.  If you’ve not already, I recommend using the Room Sim in REW to get an idea of optimal speaker/chair placement for your room.  Start with that as a guide and then move the speakers/chair to fine tune.  I did this and found that moving my speakers back and listening position forwards into the room created a much flatter response.

483 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-21 13:58:24)

Really Randy, aside from the Null at 60hz you've observed, a generally good plot!

As JasO stated, Speaker/Seating adjustments are most likely in order.   Note also that Nulls occur at 1/4 Wavelength points in a Room.  60hz has a 1/4 Wavelength of 4.7ft...almost EXACTLY where your Ear is while seated in a Room with a 9ft Ceiling.    Coincidence?

Let's Test this hypothesis by Raising/Lowering the Mic +/- 1ft, and repeating the test.  Just focus on 20-100hz-ish to zero in on the problem area.   No need to abuse Tweeters.   Lets see if the Null Freq/Amplitude changes at all.

Travel Day today, so I'll be "someplace" but will check in as circumstamces allow.

Have Fun!

Curt

PS:  In another of my Nebulous thoughts...are your Speakers Bi-Wired or something similar?  In such cases, A Sharp Null can be the Calling Card of an incorrectly polarized Woofer.  Just sayin'...

Curt962 wrote:

And where is our Good Friend "N00b" when we need him?   As a Parisienne...He'll get our French sorted out in a hurry. smile

Hi! smile

Randy54 wrote:

Will do. However, in order to make it more fun, I'll do a sweep before and after I move it, no comforter. I see the UMIK was just delivered, gotta go to the Neighborhood Post Box Matrix.

Merci, mon ami... Randy

Correct smile

Randy54 wrote:

Bon jour, NOOb,

Appeler toutes les Parisiennes. Temps mathématiques!

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/eiffel1.jpg

big_smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

485 (edited by Randy54 2019-12-21 17:52:09)

Greetings, NOOb. Merci pour votre reponse. Curt mentioned that your wife is a cellist. I am a pianist, and today realized that I'd best close the top of the baby grand shown in the floor plan. Kinda silly to leave all those resonant strings open to contribute to the aural landscape. After doing that, this the resulting sweep in three different views.

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/sweep3.png

Last night's graph apparently had no smoothing at all. Here, the 1/6 smoothing at the top (20-200Hz) looks very good, save for the null centered at 60Hz. At 1/12 smoothing, it still looks nice and the 60Hz null shows it has some energy. The bottom 20-2720Hz graph also looks good. The acoustic treatments and speaker placement were determined with Stereophile Test CD #1 and my ears. The result is quite pleasing. I want to address that 60Hz null, but considering the high quality of the RME, it seems best to wait until it arrives before pushing around those carefully-positioned speakers.

These are all taken with the display case glass naked to the sonic world. Next test: hang a thick down comforter over Mr. Display Case and sweep it again. The shelf at 1-1.2kHz might be related to the glass; we shall see.

New sweep with the display case covered with the thick down comforter and the glass doors of the wine cooler neutralized with pillows and a few spare absorption wedges.

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/sweep6.png

Both are at 1/6 smoothing with the sweep opened up to 10-10,000Hz. In the 10-200Hz plot, the null is now at 55.6Hz, but otherwise it looks good. The sub-20Hz signal is shown for information, but I can't hear the signal until it gets to about 22Hz or so.

The 20-10,000 plot tells an interesting story. The "null" at 55.6Hz is nearly the same as the low point at 4.39kHz. Does this mean that the 55.6Hz feature isn't really an actual null, but just a a valley? How should it be treated? Would it be reasonable to set the EQ bar at 75dB, bringing a bit up in volume while bringing the rest down?

I'll post plots at 1/12 smoothing, as it appears they bring more insight. They need to go into a new post, though; it will be a minute or two.

This looks like a very good starting point. Am I believing my own BS?

This is the same sweep at 1/12 smoothing. I know these features can't be addressed in great detail (per Willem's discussion), but it's nice to not find any snakes hiding under the filter. The two low points were 0.6dB apart and now they are 0.7dB apart - no snakes here.

That 900-1250Hz shelf remains. The glass treatment didn't change it much; perhaps it even broadened it a bit. I'm not sure how to interpret that shelf and act on it with speaker placement alone. Maybe REW can generate a 1kHz test tone and I take the UMIK around the room to find hot spots?

The soundstage has been improved immensely with the acoustic treatment of the glass items. I don't see it in the plots, but it's clear as day to the ear. The Crystal Method was very stable and precise over their broad frequency and phase range. Pink Floyd DSOM is wonderful - what great mastering on that old album! Lady Gaga in "Just Dance" is precisely centered and crystal-clear.

All this is with a 48kHz x 16bit DAC from 1982.

It might be time to called it "sufficient" with the Levinson DAC and leave the room as it is until the RME arrives (by 8pm MST, thank goodness). I might make the BAD Panels while I wait; I'd like to hear how dispersion sounds compared to absorption.

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/sweep6-12.png

Randy,

Slow Down Cowboy!!   Let's Rustle up that Null, before we get too many Irons in the Fire. smile

Nulls.  You can't EQ them away.   Pulling all frequencies AROUND them down would be a Horror Show for S/N, so....let's not go there either.    This is a Real, Old Fashioned Manual Labor kind of issue, that is going to require Speakers, Seating or Both to be moved. 

Re-Reviewing your Floor Plan whilst sitting in the Tranquil Space of a Large Airport Terminal....I see you sitting in the MIDDLE of the Room.   Null City!!

Move your Mic a few ft fore/aft and lets just see!!!

Fun Times ahead!!

Curt

489 (edited by Randy54 2019-12-22 02:07:01)

Re-Reviewing your Floor Plan whilst sitting in the Tranquil Space of a Large Airport Terminal....I see you sitting in the MIDDLE of the Room.   Null City!!

It shouldn't appear that way. The room is 7.71m long. The 38% point is 2.93m from the front wall. The listening spot is at 39.8% or 3.07m. I made sure to avoid the mid-room null spot... but I'd be happy to run the sweep a few more times moving the mic fore and aft. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fun times, for sure. The RME is now scheduled to arrive by 1:30. Huh? USPS outperforming expectations??? Actually, it's wonderful to see.

On that note, the Schiit headphone amp arrived yesterday. I dislike the childish company name as well as its product naming convention, especially the Fulla, OMG. But I have to be honest - the Magni 3+ drove my difficult YH-100 orthodynamic cans (no mods) very well. Far better than the returned BlasterX G6. For $100, to be used in my bedroom far from the RME, it's fine. Detail and soundstage are very good, and overall the YH-100's sound better than I've ever heard them. Oh well, I'll just tell friends it's a Magni and never mention the company name.

It's rather exciting that the RME will drive cans directly, with EQ and Extreme Power. The YH-100's will never need to be modded if the EQ comes out right. I really don't want to open them and put felt in them. How 90's.

Great suggestion, Curt!

Surprisingly, the mic had to move aft about 14". Maybe the 38% rule is best considered as volume-based rather than length-based. The music has always sounded better a bit behind the chair, to the point I prefer to stand rather than sit.

As you anticipated, the null is gone. The shelf has changed - it's wider but not as tall. Interesting how the high-freq roll-off kind of approximates that "ideal curve" I've seen but whose name I can't recall.

The RME will arrive soon. The next test will be with it.

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/sweep7.png

491 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-21 21:44:20)

Well now!   Lookee there!!

Work with me!  smile

Im locked in a large metal tube right now, so I'll have to check back later, but we're going in the right direction with your set up.

Curt

Have a safe flight! The RME arrived!!!

Oh Lord!!!

Glad it arrived on time.   DO get VERY Cozy with the User Manual.   Best Advice there is.   The Manual explains all.

Curt

Wouldn't it be also interesting to show the curve from 20Hz to 20KHz in one screen instead of cut up in fractions? And with 1/3 smoothing.

495 (edited by Randy54 2019-12-22 02:08:41)

Wouldn't it be also interesting to show the curve from 20Hz to 20KHz in one screen instead of cut up in fractions? And with 1/3 smoothing.

Well, it isn't really cut into fractions: the first plot is 10-200Hz and the second is 20-10kHz. I wanted to see the low freqs in detail as well as the broader spectrum. It would be interesting to see 20-20kHz, though. I'll run that sweep in a little while.

It looks really fine with 1/3 smoothing... too good in a way. But I'll post that as well. I also want to run it at higher volume to see if it makes a difference.

YES!!! The RME is certainly a fine DAC!

This post compares the RME to the Levinson #39, both running at 48kHz 16-bit, HDMI from the laptop to a SPDI/F-to-coax converter, then coax into each DAC. Nothing else in the setup changed - the RME directly replaces the #39.

One thing is for sure: at 44.1kHz or 48kHz, the #39 remains a very fine DAC after 35+ years. This is where the production really shows through. Lady Gaga "Fame" is a very well-produced album. To my ear, the RME has better grip on the base and a bit smoother high end. It is transparent and neutral with many similar characteristics to the #39. The difference is noticeable and pleasing, but it isn't a take-your-breath-away difference.

It's admirable that they compare so well. So, this big heavy Levinson DAC will go into the bedroom to drive the Little Schiit amplifier. That's a fitting description smile but it's a free, high-quality DAC.

Here's the plot:

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/39-RME.png

You can make your own evaluation. To me, the RME shows better control and linearity throughout, but only a small amount. We have to consider that the audio is feeding HDMI then converted to SPDI/F coax. The converter is hardly audiophile grade... so the next post will look at HDMI vs. USB.

497 (edited by Randy54 2019-12-22 02:10:57)

This is where it got *very* interesting! Here, the laptop is running audio through USB into the RME. I might need an ASIO driver for typical programs, but REW and JRiver MC25 both drive ASIO directly. The plot compares RME/HDMI to RME/USB.

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/HDMI-USB.png

The RME really shines running USB! The 10-20Hz range is surprisingly even, especially considering there's no subwoofer(s). The signal is more controlled and more accurate from end-to-end. I imagine that 1/3 smoothing will look nearly perfect, save for minor EQ tuning.

It sounds so fine like this! My gosh, now it took my breath away. Lady Gaga was better, but the real treat came from The Crystal Method. "Ready, Steady, Go" and "Murder" have stunning bass, powerful yet controlled. The phase games played by Crystal Method come through spectacularly! It kept me glued to the speakers as I marveled at this little miracle of technology.

Note: I'm a software developer. The laptop is a high-speed gaming MSI that handles Visual Studio 2017 and real-time 3D CAD sims. It has a lot of horsepower for a "laptop".

EDIT: the grid doesn't align because I had to restart the system after installing the RME USB driver. REW came up with a different look and size. However, the "crosshair" is aligned, so disregard the confusing grid.

This new RME owner is in seventh heaven. I gotta try Amazon HD Audio for same high-tech tracks... I'm completely satisfied with the RME DAC! From what I've read, the unit will break in over the first 100 hours or so and get even better.

I'll run a 20-20kHz sweep in a bit. I need to enjoy a few more songs with the G-Force visualizer and a brewski.

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/RMEsystem.jpg

There's a 3D flex-puzzle of cables behind the electronics that needs to be untangled, and the large but excellent Levinson will get sent to the bedroom for being good.

Lieber Hr. bejoro,

I want to give you a +1 on the value of stereo subwoofer phase. I'm thinking that people are confused because they often hear that low freqs are not directional. That isn't really true. More properly expressed, it would be that our ears can't determine the direction of the source of low freqs as well as high freqs. The wavefronts don't arrive as frequently, so we perceive less directionality.

However, it's a fact that sounds of any frequency propagate spherically from the source. The two stereo signals arrive at our ears at different times with different information regardless of frequency. There's no reason to believe that somehow low freqs don't contain phase information. At what frequency would the phase information disappear?

I agree with you. If a setup has two subs, they should be run left/right and positioned with the same care to distance from the listener as any other speaker. There are subtle cues that our minds put together into the soundstage. What a shame to lose the phase information when you can actually perceive it!

Bear in mind, this applies to stereo audio, not home theater with a single subwoofer output.

Ich weiss nicht, wo Sie in Deutschland sind. Das ist meine Stieftochter in Munchen. Sri Lanka trifft Deutschland mit Bier als gemeinsame Sprache!

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/NatashaInMunich.jpg

The "you" sign... Natasha made a wonderful collage for her Mom; this was one of the photos.

500 (edited by Randy54 2019-12-22 02:33:26)

Here's a sweep from 20-20kHz with 1/3 smoothing. There is a graphing artifact at the left. In the 10-200Hz plot, the signal doesn't rise as it appears to in this plot. The same artifact is present in the paired plots posted previously.

https://www.eldoradosoft.com/images/audio/sweep11.png

Looks quite nice for no EQ at all. This is all from speaker placement and acoustic treatment.