Re: Recommended reading for EQ

Very wrong:
LFE is a separate mono channel within the multi channel definition.
Stereo are two channels with frequency domain and time domain.

Why are you so sure that you are correct?
You are spreading complete wrong and misleading information here with your non-existent knowledge.

I was trying to prevent misleading information and wrong conclusions. It is pyhsics and not a topic of interpretation.

Important for other readers (I have explained this before):
If you want a complete and correct reproduction of your STEREO audio signal using additional subwoofers you have to install two subwoofers, one for each channel, separately fed by the right and left channel. To preserve the correct timing the subwoofers have to be placed at the same distance to the listening position as the main speakers (circle around the listening position).

With only one subwoofer or a mono subwoofer setup (several subwoofers fed with a mono signal) you lose important information of the music signal. (Example: Sara K., Water Falls).

But the wrong information has been repeated in this thread over and over again, no matter what I am writing. So, I am out.

All I have done is refer to serious published research from the Harman team and others. They may be wrong but if so you should refer to competing research and publications, and all the more so since what I said seems to be the mainstream view. Again, that may be wrong but saying that it is wrong is not enough, nor is anecdotal evidence.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

LFE means Low Frequency Effects. When a bomb explodes in your favourite video you don't need your sofa to be shaken in stereo. In fact mono is much more efficient then.

In music productions bass can be left, right, on both in phase (mono) or with a delay or phase difference between left and right. This is very seldom the case for various reasons: it won't survive a vinyl manufacturing process, home theater systems with one sub (WAF guaranteed) are found everywhere to also play music (so mastering engineers have to adjust), and the room situation usually makes it impossible to efficiently play and hear such a signal so that it sounds like with a good headphone (which indeed is the final solution to hear such sub-vibrations perfectly without any room trouble, even in stereo).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

304 (edited by willem 2019-08-24 14:02:57)

Now that I have equalized the response of my system as well as I can, at least for the time being,  I have also turned on the dynamic loudness option. Since my speakers are relatively inefficient and are in a quite large room I have raised the minimum volume setting by 5 dB and also increased the maximum bass lift by 2 dB. Subjectively this is good but still perhaps not quite enough for my situation. However, I think it is probably better to apply too little boost than too much.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

305 (edited by bejoro 2019-08-24 15:22:40)

MC wrote:

LFE means Low Frequency Effects. When a bomb explodes in your favourite video you don't need your sofa to be shaken in stereo. In fact mono is much more efficient then.

In music productions bass can be left, right, on both in phase (mono) or with a delay or phase difference between left and right. This is very seldom the case for various reasons: it won't survive a vinyl manufacturing process, home theater systems with one sub (WAF guaranteed) are found everywhere to also play music (so mastering engineers have to adjust), and the room situation usually makes it impossible to efficiently play and hear such a signal so that it sounds like with a good headphone (which indeed is the final solution to hear such sub-vibrations perfectly without any room trouble, even in stereo).

After over 25 years of experience with dozens of subwoofer setups I can not agree.
It is not seldom and occurs in many classical and jazz productions and other recordings (Yello). It is clearly audible even in less perfect room situations. WAF is certainly no concern of mastering engineers or producers.

So many assumptions, clearly not based on personal experience.

But why should I bother, nobody cares.

306 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-24 16:53:34)

Now Now!!

I take ONE NAP and now this?   Let's re-direct our energies toward Tidying up an RME Users Room.   smile

Moving right along...

Curt

Edit:

RP.. shoot me a PM via this Site so that we can establish an email contact.  I'd like to see Pictures of your set up.   A picture is better than 1000 posts.   Thanks!!

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt962 wrote:

Now Now!!

I take ONE NAP and now this?   Let's re-direct our energies toward Tidying up an RME Users Room.   smile

Moving right along...

Curt

Edit:

RP.. shoot me a PM via this Site so that we can establish an email contact.  I'd like to see Pictures of your set up.   A picture is better than 1000 posts.   Thanks!!

Good call Curt.

It's good when the police turn up.. big_smile

RME ADI2 PRO FS R be - Genelec 8341AWM - Arendal 1723 1S Subwoofer (x2)

bejoro wrote:

Oh, it is very audible. You lose important information of the music signal, even at very low frequencies.

A perfect example:
Sara K., Water Falls (lossless, no mp3)

It contains a big, room filling bass drum, very impressive.
If you listen to it with a mono subwoofer (or in mono mode), the bass drum disappears completely.

The phase difference of that bass drum is almost 180 degrees at very low frequencies generating the imagination of a room filling experience. So, with a mono sub the bass drum is completely canceled out, it disappears.

As a producer audio engineer and musician I would call that a grave production error. Getting a wider or bigger sound through 180 phase is not a valid production trick. Like creating wide 180 phase echo's. Which will disappear in mono....with 180 phased bass even more problems can arise, but I guess we have to agree to disagree on this. But I hope that all people with a mono sub don't suddenly think they have a problem!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

309 (edited by rpgroman 2019-08-24 19:22:52)

https://reho.st/self/be37f70d22b0f4deb9042c21454a2fbed25c670c.jpg

O.K....done this morning.  Above is both speakers, 1/6 octave smoothing.  Speakers have a built-in treble boost adjustment which I put on its maximum position on both speakers.  No eq.

Also, here is composite graph showing both (black), left (brown), and right (red).

https://reho.st/self/42f271bff9c2b298c5204ec5d52c65d31ad902e1.jpg

RP,

The Treble thing is puzzling.  Methinks something is amiss in the Mic Cal, or Mic Positioning.  Your Room has a LOT of Glass in it, and should be a place where Trebles run amok.  .  Hmmmm?

For the matters lower in freq...The 30hz peak correlates well with the 20ft dimension in your room.   Your Daft Punk collection will sound amazing. smile

Above that a bit, I see oddities that I suspect may be  SBIR (Speaker/Boundary Interference Response) in nature.  We could EQ ourselves into the depths of Hell trying to fix that.   Then...only to move our Head a few inches and lose everything?

Speaker Positioning, and dare I suggest Acoustic Treatments in this particular area.  There are some NICE "Art Panels" that your Wife might find quite appealing.   Just sitting here pushing buttons will yield little in the end.   Let's get Creative!  smile

Curt

311 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-24 20:34:54)

Rick,

Let's conduct a Mad Science experiment here...

Moving with the deftness of an Audio Ninja...I'd ask that you move one of the Speakers fore or aft, 1 foot.    Strictly in the name of Science!

Run a Sweep of that modded position.  I want to see that 200hz null change...we haven't a hope on Earth of EQing that.  You can't eq nulls, and 200hz is murder on a nicely recorded Vocal that we both enjoy.

Tell your Wife in advance that I apologize.  smile

Trying to Win One for ya Pal.

Curt962 wrote:

Rick,

Let's conduct a Mad Science experiment here...

Moving with the deftness of an Audio Ninja...I'd ask that you move one of the Speakers fore or aft, 1 foot.    Strictly in the name of Science!

Run a Sweep of that modded position.  I want to see that 200hz null change...we haven't a hope on Earth of EQing that.  You can't eq nulls, and 200hz is murder on a nicely recorded Vocal that we both enjoy.

Tell your Wife in advance that I apologize.  smile

Trying to Win One for ya Pal.

Before (black), after (red).  Interesting!!

https://reho.st/self/b691f5de1d4b7d2a3f037d6edf1356aeac5061de.jpg

It seems you've made considerable strides at 50hz, and 200hz.   This HF droop business is a puzzler.   Where's McGyver when you need him?  smile

Have the Grand Kids been playing with the Treble encoder, or has Rick cleverly crafted a Lo-Pass Filter in B5 of the EQ?  smile

Not to run you around in circles,.but perhaps you can take a Near Field Measurement of one of the Speakers.  Center the Mic directly in front of the Speaker, at a 1M distance.   Let's see if the HF roll off remains.   

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

It seems you've made considerable strides at 50hz, and 200hz.   This HF droop business is a puzzler.   Where's McGyver when you need him?  smile

Have the Grand Kids been playing with the Treble encoder, or has Rick cleverly crafted a Lo-Pass Filter in B5 of the EQ?  smile

Not to run you around in circles,.but perhaps you can take a Near Field Measurement of one of the Speakers.  Center the Mic directly in front of the Speaker, at a 1M distance.   Let's see if the HF roll off remains.   

Curt

I am 100% sure I'm not clever enough to craft whatever this Lo-Pass filter might look like.  And, no grandkids in town at the moment.  I will try the near field measurement. 

In the meantime, would using the ADI Dac's tone control to boost the treble by some number of db accomplish something??

Sure!  The Treble encoder would offer some relief.   The question of WHY we see the droopy HF response remains.    The Near Field test might offer clues.   If we then STILL see the roll off....hmmmmm

Curt

But measure at tweeter height.

willem wrote:

But measure at tweeter height.

While you're there, you might aswel take a measurement of all drivers.
Just make sure you're using the correct zero degree calibration file for nearfeild measuring. smile

I did not, however, mean a nearfield measurement. Nearfield measurements primarily measure the speaker rather than the room. Of course that is also interesting but it is a different game.

Hi Willem.

Sorry, I was referring to RP and his current speaker measurements. smile

Are you happy with your set up now or do you feel you still need to tweak?

I think I am quite happy for now although it is nagging me that I cannot get rid of that 25 Hz peak or even explain it. It was also interesting that trying to correct that peak around 300 Hz was practically impossible as even a 20 cm different measurement position changed the picture completely. Therefore the filters above 200 Hz are only useful to correct peaks in the speaker response and not the room's contribution.
As far as RP is concerned my hypothesis was that the drooping highs were the product of a listening position and even more a measurement position that was too far below the reference axis. That may explain it, but maybe not. However the test is easy.

willem wrote:

I think I am quite happy for now although it is nagging me that I cannot get rid of that 25 Hz peak or even explain it. It was also interesting that trying to correct that peak around 300 Hz was practically impossible as even a 20 cm different measurement position changed the picture completely. Therefore the filters above 200 Hz are only useful to correct peaks in the speaker response and not the room's contribution.
As far as RP is concerned my hypothesis was that the drooping highs were the product of a listening position and even more a measurement position that was too far below the reference axis. That may explain it, but maybe not. However the test is easy.

Glad you're happy but it's a game we're in where you can never truly be 100% happy.
I bet there's guys n gals out there with million dollar systems that sometimes think... Could I make this sound better! big_smile

I hope RP will get to grips with his system and measurement techniques to better his results and listening pleasure....

322 (edited by willem 2019-08-25 14:47:44)

I am sure a second subwoofer would improve bass a bit more, but that is about it in hardware terms.
The room obviously remains the elephant in the room so more refined equalization of the main speakers' below about 200 Hz would be nice. Equalization of room effects above that frequency is pretty pointless but a correction curve to smoothen the speakers themselves would be nice. The curve would have to come from anechoic measurements, i.e. independent from the actual in room response.

Curt962 wrote:

Sure!  The Treble encoder would offer some relief.   The question of WHY we see the droopy HF response remains.    The Near Field test might offer clues.   If we then STILL see the roll off....hmmmmm

Curt

Test done and interesting results.  The on-axis, tweeter height measurements don't seem to exhibit that HF "droop" after about 3kz in either speaker.  Graph shows each speaker measured at a distance of 36".

https://reho.st/self/060329509eba0dc2970044bf1879cab495355106.jpg

324 (edited by willem 2019-08-25 18:14:16)

Great so that HF issue is solved. What you can also see is that at low frequencies speakers respond very differently from one another and may compensate each other.

rpgroman wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Curt

Test done and interesting results.  The on-axis, tweeter height measurements don't seem to exhibit that HF "droop" after about 3kz in either speaker.  Graph shows each speaker measured at a distance of 36".

I find these measurements really interesting as it proves the effect of low frequencies within a small room.
The way I read this is the red measurement is indicative of a speaker very close to a room boundary and the black is a touch further out from a boundary.

Like you Willem, I do not EQ above 400-500hz as I feel you're killing the sonic signature of the speaker within the particular room.

326 (edited by willem 2019-08-25 18:15:22)

As for my 25 Hz peak, this could be the pump of the floor heating system. If that is the case, no amount of filtering will get rid of it, of course. It is always on, and I have just discovered that it is a pretty voracious electricity consumer at some 600 kilowatts per annum. That is bad news for my wallet (about 120 euros a year) but also for emissions and the climate. I am investigating a modern smart pump.
Another possibility could be resonating doors, furniture or even windows. To ascertain this I need a signal sweep where I can set a specific frequency: what is resonating at 25 Hz? Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the comments!  As it's probably abundantly clear, the space where I have my system and listen to music was not designed by an acoustical engineer.  With the help of Curt (big shoutout to him!!) and everyone here who participated I think that, referring back to post #312 and, in light of the near field measurements showing that the speakers, themselves, are performing as expected, I may well have gone as far as possible within the room's limitations, what I can do with the ADI-2 Dac's eq functionality and my own (very substantial) technical limitations.  I'll probably fiddle with the tone controls a bit, but a quick listen to a few of my go-to tracks indicate---at least with my older ears---I may be, in fact, hearing all of the treble I can. And, the bass sounds pretty awesome, too.  Amongst others, I use the last few minutes of the "Saturn" track of Holst's, The Planets (Dutoit/Montreal), which has a wonderfully low organ pedal note, to gauge how my bass is doing.

I have to say, this has been a fascinating process and I do believe that the overall sound has been noticeably improved.  I do also have to say that I'm so impressed that, within just an ordinary living space, it's possible to hear such astonishingly detailed and involving music.  Could more be done?  I'm quite sure of that, but I'm not nearly as sure that acoustic treatments, etc. in order to further what some might define as a little obsessive (in light of the terrific results already achieved), will be errr…..spousally tolerated.  Especially so in a space that gets constant use by family, for entertaining, etc.   So, now, back to your regularly scheduled programming ;>)...

Sparkydude wrote:
rpgroman wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Curt

I find these measurements really interesting as it proves the effect of low frequencies within a small room.
The way I read this is the red measurement is indicative of a speaker very close to a room boundary and the black is a touch further out...….

That would be a fairly correct assumption.  The "red" speaker is somewhat in a corner while the "black" speaker is in a more open spot. Both are the same distance from a rear wall, but the red speaker has a wall about 3 feet to it's right (facing it), while the black speaker has no wall within 12 plus feet of either side.

329 (edited by rpgroman 2019-08-25 17:58:06)

willem wrote:

Great so that issue is solved. What you can also see is that at low frequencies speakers respond very differently from one another and may compensate each other.

In light of the graph in post 312, I would agree.  The "both" speaker measurements there suggest you're correct.

RP!!!

That's a fantastic appraisal of your current arrangement, that we're all delighted to hear!! 

You might experiment a bit more with tweaks to Spkr Position, and Seating, but in the Grand Scheme...you're in far better shape now than you were 48hrs ago. 

EQ, etc....My Archaic methodology precludes my over-reliance on DSP, etc.   I like to make Gross Adjustments via mechanical means.  After that, we can use our EQ as one would a Fine Polishing Cloth...rather than a Grinding Tool.  smile

Good Stuff Rick. Enjoy some Music!!

Best to You!

331 (edited by willem 2019-08-25 18:22:19)

I think you could benefit from the possibility to equalize left and right channel separately. The red channel has a nasty peak at 30 Hz and the black channel has two, at 50 Hz and 90 Hz.
However, I am assuming this is with just the main speakers. What are you doing with the subwoofers?

332 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-25 21:07:45)

Rick!

I work in "Mysterious Ways", (ie: Criminal) and as your Loving Wife has endured countless "WhooooOOOOP" Sounds coming from her Art Gallery over the past few days...

Fall is aporoaching.  Perhaps a Nice Wine Tasting event at a local Vineyard, along with the almost ever present String Ensemble... The Sky is the Limit!   Music IS Art, and you must know that appealing to her sensibilities is the way forward. smile

My Wife is a Pre-K Teacher.   When I added Children's Music to the Playlist for review?   Oh My!!  How suddenly things changed.

It won't hurt a thing.

Enjoy!!

Curt

rpgroman wrote:

Thanks for all the comments!  As it's probably abundantly clear, the space where I have my system and listen to music was not designed by an acoustical engineer.  With the help of Curt (big shoutout to him!!) and everyone here who participated I think that, referring back to post #312 and, in light of the near field measurements showing that the speakers, themselves, are performing as expected, I may well have gone as far as possible within the room's limitations, what I can do with the ADI-2 Dac's eq functionality and my own (very substantial) technical limitations.  I'll probably fiddle with the tone controls a bit, but a quick listen to a few of my go-to tracks indicate---at least with my older ears---I may be, in fact, hearing all of the treble I can. And, the bass sounds pretty awesome, too.  Amongst others, I use the last few minutes of the "Saturn" track of Holst's, The Planets (Dutoit/Montreal), which has a wonderfully low organ pedal note, to gauge how my bass is doing.

I have to say, this has been a fascinating process and I do believe that the overall sound has been noticeably improved.  I do also have to say that I'm so impressed that, within just an ordinary living space, it's possible to hear such astonishingly detailed and involving music.  Could more be done?  I'm quite sure of that, but I'm not nearly as sure that acoustic treatments, etc. in order to further what some might define as a little obsessive (in light of the terrific results already achieved), will be errr…..spousally tolerated.  Especially so in a space that gets constant use by family, for entertaining, etc.   So, now, back to your regularly scheduled programming ;>)...

Hi Rick.

Firstly I would like to apologise for not conversing with you more in your endeavours but I truly felt that, due to my inexperience in all things acoustic, I felt I would only muddy the waters even further for you which would've only caused you frustration and confusion.

I'm incredibly excited for you. I know that feeling of being in control of what you hear and how you hear it and all it took was for you to spot a thread that peaked your interest.....:)

Just enjoy the music my friend. Don't bog yourself down in doubt about whether what you're hearing is sounding right BUT....do tinker every now and then just to satisfy that curiosity that we all have in us.
At the end of the day, you always have these settings you have now locked in so return to default if need be.

Thanks for sharing what you listen to to evaluate your hardware. You made me fire up my system just to hear those deep organs you mentioned in "Saturn" and by god it didn't disappoint!! smile
That is some seriously low end bass right there!
It gave me a chance to check what Curt had advised me to do with my 50hz high pass.
Without the EQ, bass was a tad boomy, with the EQ it was, to me, perfect.
Bass was retained and as far as I could tell, no loss of detail.

Please do share some more of your test tracks if you have time as I'm sure we, and many others will be interested!! I certainly am.

Anyway, I've rambled on a wee bit here but I just want to wish you all the best!

Don't be a stranger mate...

Mike.

334 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-25 23:58:06)

Ya just gotta admire that "Sparkydude"  smile

He was the Bloke who started this entire thread, and invited us all to apply Math, and Science to our own Set Ups.    Enough with the BS.   smile

May God Bless!    Let's have Fun, and Learn!!

As for MY Sorry A$$.... I've had the benefit of TRUE Audio Professionals to help guide me along.   All of which to whom I owe an enormous debt of Gratitude.   

Curt

Edit:   I am SO happy that RME limited the PEQ to 5 bands.  Could anyone imagine the Chaos had we been given100 bands?  smile

"I'm trying to EQ a pimple in my response at 11,217 hz....can anyone advise?"

Just imagine a World full of that. .

Sparkydude wrote:
rpgroman wrote:

Hi Rick.

Firstly I would like to apologise for not conversing with you more in your endeavours but I truly felt that, due to my inexperience in all things acoustic, I felt I would only muddy the waters even further for you which would've only caused you frustration and confusion.

I'm incredibly excited for you. I know that feeling of being in control of what you hear and how you hear it and all it took was for you to spot a thread that peaked your interest.....:)

Just enjoy the music my friend. Don't bog yourself down in doubt about whether what you're hearing is sounding right BUT....do tinker every now and then just to satisfy that curiosity that we all have in us.
At the end of the day, you always have these settings you have now locked in so return to default if need be.

Thanks for sharing what you listen to to evaluate your hardware. You made me fire up my system just to hear those deep organs you mentioned in "Saturn" and by god it didn't disappoint!! smile
It gave me a chance to check what Curt had advised me to do with my 50hz high pass.

Please do share some more of your test tracks if you have time as I'm sure we, and many others will be interested!! I certainly am.

Anyway, I've rambled on a wee bit here but I just want to wish you all the best!

Mike.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike.  I don't listen to any "electronica", but I'm aware that it has some seriously deep, artificially generated, bass.  However, continuing the theme of low organ notes, you might also have a listen to the gorgeous 2nd movement (poco adagio) of Camille Saint Saens' 3rd symphony (aka the Organ Symphony).  Listen to the whole movement as the low notes are scattered throughout.  The version I have that has the most powerful organ sound is the remastered Living Stereo classic recording of the Boston Symphony conducted by Charles Munch.  I got it as a download from HD tracks....

Rick, how far have you come now? The last graphs that you posted still had some nasty peaks below 100 Hz. Was that with or without your subs and have you equalized them since then?

rpgroman wrote:
Sparkydude wrote:
rpgroman wrote:

Hi Rick.

Mike.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike.  I don't listen to any "electronica", but I'm aware that it has some seriously deep, artificially generated, bass.  However, continuing the theme of low organ notes, you might also have a listen to the gorgeous 2nd movement (poco adagio) of Camille Saint Saens' 3rd symphony (aka the Organ Symphony).  Listen to the whole movement as the low notes are scattered throughout.  The version I have that has the most powerful organ sound is the remastered Living Stereo classic recording of the Boston Symphony conducted by Charles Munch.  I got it as a download from HD tracks....

You're welcome Rick.

I find other people's listening choices fascinating.
I would never have considered organ music but yet I love it
Very "earthy" in nature. smile

I might start a thread about people's listening habits yet.. big_smile
HD Tracks you say...... I'll have to give that a look-see

338 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-26 14:36:32)

Listening Habits.  Oh My!!!  smile    A thread regarding such might inadvertently reveal that SOME( if not Many) of us are suffering from some form of Psychological disorder....  smile

Laurie Anderson Records.    Case in Point smile

Where downloads are concerned, Ive had fine results with eclassical.com from Sweden.    Rick?  This might be of Great interest to you!   

Curt

Hi...

With some additional assistance from Curt, including a whack upside the head for attempting to eq- correct some nulls with boost, and investing a whole morning adjusting my sub's polarity, and crossover values, plus starting from scratch on all of the eq settings, along with the minor physical placement adjustments from previous days, this is what I've managed to accomplish:

https://reho.st/self/87aa735cf4d5fd0b87b3b7e04f84fd833160ea20.jpg

I'm actually pretty pleased looking at just the FR measurements.  There's the null at about 223 hz, but that is the worst offender.  Absent any new brainstorms on what to do differently/better, I'll go back to listening for a few days and see how I like the actual sound of these revised settings.

Hey Rick!!  Looking better.   

That Notch really looks like the Handiwork of the Room, and/or Speaker Placement.   Refresh my fading memory, but aren't you 32" from a Rm. Boundary?   My crazy math suggests that 32"  correlates to a 213hz null. 

No Rush...enjoy some Music!!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

That Notch really looks like the Handiwork of the Room, and/or Speaker Placement.   Refresh my fading memory, but aren't you 32" from a Rm. Boundary?   My crazy math suggests that 32"  correlates to a 213hz null. 

Curt

The right speaker is what you're thinking about.  It's curved, but at the absolute front, it is 34 inches from the wall to its right.  I can widen the speakers out by a max of maybe two inches.  There is no room to narrow them and I have moved them forward as far as I'm "allowed" (that was the slight repositioning of a few days ago which did help) and moving backwards is not an option, either.  Measured separately, both speakers show the same notch.

This is good news. I am still curious about your subs, however.

343 (edited by rpgroman 2019-08-27 04:45:14)

Willem,

The graph posted in #339 includes both subs--everything eq'd.  For my particular room arrangement these REL-305 subs can only be connected via the speaker level input.  So, they're seeing the exact same signal as my speakers.  Of course, the subs have volume and crossover adjustment dials as well as a two-position polarity switch.  So, eq'ing via the ADI dac affects both speaker and sub output simultaneously.

Upon Curt's recommendation, I spent a lot of time this morning determining the subs' proper polarity and, even more importantly, adjusting the volume and crossovers in real time (looking at the live FR plot as I was twisting the knobs).

The ability to see the on-screen real-time effects in my measurement software of both the sub adjustments and, after I got the subs in order,  the appropriate EQ adjustments, got me to this point. 

As Curt says, this FR plot is now "respectable" which I consider, given my very difficult room, a good accomplishment.

As an aside, I'd attempted to follow the sub mfr.'s instructions on how to determine polarity by ear.  My ear-level blind test gave me a 5 to 4 (with one "no difference") preference for one switch position.  Can we say....that was not particularly definitive??   The measurement software clearly indicated that the opposite position was the correct one to use. A good lesson....

rpgroman wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Curt

The right speaker is what you're thinking about.  It's curved, but at the absolute front, it is 34 inches from the wall to its right.  I can widen the speakers out by a max of maybe two inches.  There is no room to narrow them and I have moved them forward as far as I'm "allowed" (that was the slight repositioning of a few days ago which did help) and moving backwards is not an option, either.  Measured separately, both speakers show the same notch.

Update: I changed the toe-in angle on each speaker to 0 degrees but this had no effect on the notch.  I did, however, knock off a couple db in the higher treble (not desireable!).  So, back to my 17 degree toe-in.

345 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-27 03:41:54)

Hey Guys,

RP and I have burned the Midnight Oil over the past days..

What we have here...is a Situation where Speakers that can't be moved.  Nulls that cannot be EQd, and Room Treatments that cannot be employed.   What now?

Folks...BEFORE you invest THOUSANDS in Audio Gear, do be certain that you can use it to it's full advantage.

Curt

346 (edited by willem 2019-08-27 10:51:07)

Life is a compromise, but a happy family comes first. The good news here is that the response is a lot better now. I note that the response below about 100 Hz is pretty smooth, and smoother than between 100 Hz and 200 Hz. I don't know what the Schroeder frequency of the room is, but chances are there is not much that can be done with more equalization, given the ready quite high frequencies. And there are probably no rme filters left. The only solution there would be to add something like the Antimode 8033 to deal with the subs so you have the rme filters left for the main speakers because they are the problem here and they cannot be moved. The problem is not that different from my case where the main speakers are responsible for the peaks that are left. And I cannot move those main speakers either.
By the way, how uniform is the response across the listening area?

347 (edited by willem 2019-08-27 21:07:10)

I just wanted to add that I increased the bass lift a bit more to get it closer to the ideal Harman curve, because I felt the sound was a bit too lean. This is on top of the dynamic loudness that I set some days ago (and pretty aggresively so, given the inefficiency of my main speakers and the large room size).

348 (edited by Curt962 2019-08-28 02:32:13)

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_ … _rt60.html

In completely Lay Terms...this is a measure of how much Crap is still reverberating in your Room AFTER the test signal/Guitar Pluck stops.    From a Listener's perspective, we hear this as "detail" "nuance" and "articulation"  (or Lack thereof)   Even ordinary Conversation enjoys greater Clarity when RT60s are in Check.   You CANNOT DRC: Anti-Mode/ Dirac anything of the Sort into the equation.

In all, a Solid Explanation of the RT60 data in your tests, and WHY it should matter to you.   It has been argued that good RT60s are FAR more important to our perception of good sound, than would be a ruler flat FR.

Good Read.   

Happy Listening all,

Curt

I am afraid this was a bit beyond me. Do I take it this is about reverberation and reflections at frequencies above the Schroeder frequency i.e. typically above 100-250 Hz, depending on room size? I have always understood these cannot be equalized and have to be addressed by absortive materials like rugs, bookcases etc. Is that right?

350 (edited by vinark 2019-08-28 08:55:59)

willem wrote:

I am afraid this was a bit beyond me. Do I take it this is about reverberation and reflections at frequencies above the Schroeder frequency i.e. typically above 100-250 Hz, depending on room size? I have always understood these cannot be equalized and have to be addressed by absortive materials like rugs, bookcases etc. Is that right?

Yes but also below. Bass trapping also helps for how bass builds off. Not proper English but I hope you understand. Peaks in bass are also longer in time then nulls.
A way to easily and quickly asses a room, just clap your hands and listen.  My living room is terrible. With an obvious color and flutter echo's. My home studio is nice smooth and short.
Your ears are still great measuring devices

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632