Topic: ADI-2DAC use with integrated amplifier

I apologise if this has already been covered. 

Can I use the DAC straight into my tube integrated amp, which only has a volume control, and source selector.

I do not want to have the amp volume at max as there is a risk of someone changing source and damaging speakers.

Is it possible to just set the vol on the DAC to 0db and just using the vol on amp as normal.  Or is this wasting some of the potential of the DAC.  thank you.

Re: ADI-2DAC use with integrated amplifier

Sure you can do that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, and that will allow full function of the DAC, and be the equivalent of ‘fixed level output’ on some other DACs with pre amps.

my_plectrum wrote:

Thanks, and that will allow full function of the DAC, and be the equivalent of ‘fixed level output’ on some other DACs with pre amps.

It depends on what you mean by "full function": with a fixed 0 dB volume, you can't use the dynamic loudness control for instance.  wink

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

The alternative would be to use the digital volume control in the DAC. This is certainly more accurate and probably produces far less combined noise (Matthias?). And indeed, it gives you the dynamic loudness function.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

Thanks Willem.  So put the amp volume mid level, and then control vol via DAC.  just remember to turn down amp volume if changing source I guess.

I see the Dac manual suggests for hi fi use to set Dac at 7dbu, with volume unfixed.

Or you can fix the volume at 7dbu and 0db.

I expect a case of trial and see which works best, as long as no chance of overloading amp

7 (edited by willem 2019-08-28 10:18:43)

In my own case I only use a power amplifier with the ADI-2, with the ADI-2 serving as a pre amplifier. The sound of the combination is exceptionally clean and noise free.
I use primarily digital sources with only a turntable as a remaining analogue source (my family did not allow me to ditch it) so I am connecting that through a Pro-ject Optical Ebox MM phono pre amplifier with ADC and optical output. This way I no longer needed my old Quad 33 pre amplifier. It works a treat.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

I hope I am not hijacking this topic but could you recommed an integrated amplifier for my system? Currently I have my PC connected via USB to the ADI-2 DAC which in turn is connected to the Denon 520 AE amplifier which is connected to my HECO Music Colors 170 speakers.

I think the amplifier is the least high-endish part in this setup although it is completely servicable. That is why I am thinking about upgrading.

my_plectrum wrote:

Thanks Willem.  So put the amp volume mid level, and then control vol via DAC.  just remember to turn down amp volume if changing source I guess.

I see the Dac manual suggests for hi fi use to set Dac at 7dbu, with volume unfixed.

I expect a case of trial and see which works best, as long as no chance of overloading amp

@my_plectrum
Which path did you decide on? TIA

my_plectrum wrote:

@my_plectrum
Which path did you decide on? TIA

Following this thread..same setup..integrated tube amp fed by adi 2 dac..connected to HT bypass of integrated with a 12 dB attenuator,,.this makes dac volume to 0db..still finding the vocals “ recessed”..
I am used to a chord dac...

12 (edited by Curt962 2020-08-02 18:51:25)

Plectrum,

I'm in total agreement with the Views posted by MC, Willem, and Noob on this matter. 

Set your integrated at some convenient Mid-Point, control Vol with your ADI-2DAC,  and that should work fine.  Best of all, you'll retain the full functionality of Dynamic Loudness!   That is THE BEST feature!  I can't imagine life without it. smile

Audio begs experimentation!   

Have Fun, and Enjoy your New RME!

Curt

PS:  Your Proposal seems hardly different than what many of us do already whilst running the ADI-2 DAC directly to our Active Monitors.  I (as others) can attest that this works well.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes