Topic: Remote Recommendations

This is the thread for helping people choose an aftermarket remote for ADI-2;
So post recommendations for your favorite remotes, form the best value and hot key support, to the best feeling buttons and price no object remotes.

2 (edited by Mark Dirac 2021-02-22 13:50:38)

Re: Remote Recommendations

Thanks Sebastian. I need more than RME's four programmable buttons on the official remote control. But I'm too mean to pay for a swanky Logitech programmable remote control. Can anyone suggest a cheap (Chinese?) non-Logitech equivalent, which can be programmed with RME's codes?

Surely it shouldn't be necessary to pay $40 for an item of kit as low-tech as a programmable remote control?

3 (edited by Curt962 2021-02-22 01:12:45)

Guys,

RME addressed this matter some time ago.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28980

For me?  I've no desire for more "Creature Features", as I much prefer the Sterling Audio Qualities of the RME over any added fluff.  The existing remote is fine.  Granted, my old remote is small, and easily lost in Sofa cushions.  Occasionally, my Wife sits on it. But with only a simple Outpatient procedure to extract it, things are good!  smile  Can you believe the Battery lasted 2 years?  After all that?   Oh well... If I need more?  Then I simply get off my dead a$$, and twiddle an encoder.  Good exercise!

Button pushing notwithstanding, Let's enjoy our RMEs for their intended purpose! 

Just sayin!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

4 (edited by Mark Dirac 2021-02-22 13:44:31)

Curt - not interested in your particular desires. You have not read my enquiry and the link you provide is not relevant.

Is there anyone else please who is in a position to give us a pointer towards a cheap non-Logitech equivalent?

5 (edited by bejoro 2021-02-22 12:05:46)

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

This is the thread for helping people choose an aftermarket remote for ADI-2;
So post recommendations for your favorite remotes, form the best value and hot key support, to the best feeling buttons and price no object remotes.

You can use every Logitech Harmony remote.

I use a Harmony Smart and an older model 900 (no longer available) with color display but also the entry level 350 works very well for my customers. The 900 with the touch display is great because you have access to all available IR codes or you define your own hotkeys.

It is difficult to recommend a specific model because it depends on your requirements, budget and taste.

Thanks bejoro. I'd better clarify my query by adding two words:

Can anyone suggest a cheap (Chinese?) non-Logitech equivalent, which can be programmed with RME's codes?

7 (edited by ning 2021-02-22 17:22:41)

There is a very cheap way— you can just get a ir transmitter wiring to a headphone jack. It probably costs within one dollar only. You insert it into your mobile phone. There are apps that can send those commands. You can also program a wav file pack  that encode those commands.

8 (edited by Curt962 2021-02-23 00:43:37)

Mark Dirac wrote:

Curt - not interested in your particular desires. You have not read my enquiry and the link you provide is not relevant.

Is there anyone else please who is in a position to give us a pointer towards a cheap non-Logitech equivalent?

Mark, sorry my commentary didn't meet your expectations.  Many here might know me as one who eschews gadgetry.  What's wrong with a Harmony Remote?  Ebay?  Buy one for a fraction of retail cost.

Nonetheless...to purchase such a premium product as the RME, then to completely "cheap out" on the remote simply doesn't compute with me.  False ecomony. Please do keep in mind thar no one here will be able (or willing) to help when your $3  Chinese "Happy Remote" fails.

Curt!

9 (edited by Sebastian.Athea 2021-02-23 04:59:49)

Curt962 wrote:

Nonetheless...to purchase such a premium product as the RME, then to completely "cheap out" on the remote simply doesn't compute with me.  False ecomony. Please do keep in mind thar no one here will be able (or willing) to help when your $3  Chinese "Happy Remote" fails.

Curt!

100% agree RME stuff is usually in thousands of euros range, don't get what difference 100-200 euros make for high end remote, and if it does you shouldn't heave spend so much (non disposable) cash on audio gear in the first place.
I have built my own remote with NovelKeys BOX Royal switches, it's big, dumb, and I love it! I did it mostly for practice and it's not very useful though.

Sebastian,

Maybe you could share some intel about your DIY Remote with the group.  That'd be cool!

Thanks!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Sebastian,

Maybe you could share some intel about your DIY Remote with the group.  That'd be cool!

Thanks!

Curt

There isn't much to it apart from novelty that it's using mechanical keyboard switches, and it's comically large, it's just an arduino template and custom pcb, I use it when I need functions that aren't on RME remote; I made it to practice soldering LOL.

12 (edited by Curt962 2021-02-24 02:32:52)

No problem.  Folks seem to prefer complexity, so please do post a link to the schematic, etc   We'll see who's who then. wink

Thanks!

Curt!

13 (edited by ning 2021-02-26 17:39:54)

Search google for "3.5mm Headphone IR Remote Control for Phones". sometimes you can find as low as $1.
It is also possible to do it DIY --- Just wire two IR LEDs (you can get solder it off from old IR controllers) to a 3.5mm headphone male connector and you are done..

Insert this into a Phone/PC with headphone jack.

There're various software available on iOS/Android/PC for you to save a list of general purposed control code, convert that to audio stream, and play it through the headphone jack. Getting the voltage signal, the IR LEDs will then emit corresponding signal to the ADI-2.

For Android a forum member actually have the custom settings ready for use:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29169

On Linux standard LIRC library can take care this for you as well.

On PC/Mac there's a software program called IrScrutinizer which can not only send the signals, but also save the commands as audio wave files so you can essentially play it later without any special software.

This is fun to DIY, costs <$1, and works like a charm.

For me because I usually use my ADI-2 Pro with my own music player code (based on MPD). I have a set of key bindings to emit the recorded remote control audio stream to my computer's/Raspberry Pi's headphone jack. So I can control my music library / music playing / ADI-2 in the same software program with just one or two keystroke.

Thanks ning. You're a very helpful chap. (And not only because MPD is sooo effective.) Here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132586637162 is one of the commercial 1$ emitters you suggested.
I can hardly believe this works, so will get hold of an LED and try out your experiment. After buying one first.

Thanks Sebastian. Sounds fun. The appliance you have rigged up sounds just the job, if too awkward for me. An appliance sounds better than ning's app, because I reckon a remote control should be handy, convenient, immediate, simple, without needing to activate a phone and possibly switch to an app. And possibly respond to a notification?  I have been pondering if I could use a mini bluetooth keyboard to control an IR emitter such as you have built.

I still cannot believe that it's not possible to produce a Logitech compatible remote for a much lower price, and am amazed that Google has not found one for me. I'll post back when my quest is won.