Topic: How to handle very noisy USB?

I use my desktop computer as a music player using Roon, and when the computer is idle USB sounds good. However, if I play games or do something else which makes the computer work hard, I get ticking noises. I imagine the amount of noise over USB is just to much to handle for the ADI-2 FS DAC.

Does anyone know of an easy and cheap way to fix this? I am sure for example iFi Galvanic 3.0 would solve it, but its a little expensive. Unless it also improves the sound over USB when computer is idle, in which case it might be worth $400.

Re: How to handle very noisy USB?

I have a phat graphics card as well, so my theory is that when the computer works hard, including the graphics card, it produce a lot of noise which pollutes the USB (probably the VBUS).

If I use toslink I don't have any problems, but it would be nice to use USB.

I can use toslink directly from computer with no problems, and I would assume the jitter suppression in the Digiface USB is similar to the one in the DAC, so I don't think I would gain anything with it.

What I am after is USB all the way, but tweaked or cleaned so that it sounds optimal even when computer is busy.

Cheers, its definitely an option. I actually use Roon to play to Reaper (DAW), which in turn plays to soundcard and DAC (I have some VST plugins for room correction I use in Reaper). So ASIO will not be a problem.

Wow, nice picture! And yes, it would open up some nice possibilities while at the same time solve my problems. It might (should?) also increase SQ a little, since a DAC can only lessen jitter and not completely remove it, and having DigiFace as SPIDF sender will certainly produce less jitter into the DAC compared to my current Realtek motherboard chip (it will also enable a short toslink cable which is a nice extra).

I'm new to the studio stuff, but I assume the DigiFace will look like a normal sound card with a Windows audio endpoint, which for example Roon or Reaper can use as output device?

I had an old iFi nano iUSB3 lying around, which I tried and that solved the ticking noise when computer was working. It also gave a slight increase in sound quality when computer is idle which I did not expect.

7 (edited by captblaze 2019-10-01 17:23:08)

MagnusH wrote:

I had an old iFi nano iUSB3 lying around, which I tried and that solved the ticking noise when computer was working. It also gave a slight increase in sound quality when computer is idle which I did not expect.

just a warning.. there is a group of folks who frequent this forum that do not accept anything that cant be measured... be prepared for the scolding that may follow.

I think the term they love to use is Audiofool

When I got this DAC, I connected both toslink and USB to the DAC, and setup Roon to play to both at the same time with the same playlist. Then I could switch between the inputs with the DAC remote and very easy listen for even very small differences. I could not hear any, except when computer was working hard in which case the USB connections gave a ticking noise.

I did the same with the iFi USB tweak in place, and now there was a difference, mainly an increased clarity for USB.

And yes, I know about the measurement crowd with their "placebo" and "controlled double blind test", but thats fine. Everyone is free to believe or not believe what they want.

Might a ground loop too (bleeping/clicking when CPU was busy). I had it with my Multiface (PCIe, I know). Inserting an isolator (like the Art DTI Ground Loop Isolator) solved the problem. Might be worth a try.