Topic: ADI-2 DAC In A Hi-Fi Environment

My ADI-2 DAC is arriving in two days. I'll be using it strictly as a DAC for my CD player in my hi-fi setup. No headphone use, no computer use. CD player>DAC>preamp>amp. I realize using the DAC as a preamp might well sound better than running it through my current preamp, but that isn't practical due to my using other sources.

I've been reading the manual so I can get up and running as quickly as possible. First step seems to be installing the MADIface series driver, then using the flash update tool to see if updates are needed. Next steps are setting the hardware reference level to +7 dBu, and locking the volume level.

And that's it, correct? Am I missing something, or am I ready to rock'n'roll? In time, I plan to explore EQ, loudness, and the myriad other features of the DAC. Right now I just want to see how it compares with my CD player's internal DAC.

My CD player has coax and optical outputs. I have a coax SPDIF cable on hand. Is there any reason besides curiosity to buy an optical cable?

Thanks in advance, I'm really excited to get this DAC.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-10-05 16:08:03)

Re: ADI-2 DAC In A Hi-Fi Environment

You can also put a TOSLINK switcher in front of it to get even more optical inputs.
Then you can connect i.e.
- PC
- TV
- BluRay
optical to it and perform D/A conversion through the ADI-2 DAC.

If you do not require analog inputs for other reasons you connect the ADI-2 DAC directly to your power amp and use it as preamp. All is possible.

D/A conversion quality is on a level that was tad a bit better compared to the Accuphase DAC-40 module which is available for i.e. the Accupase E-600 class A amp, which has 2 modular slots.

You can set the Reference Level to Auto and see up to what level it is sounding well for you.
Auto Reflevel is also recommended to set when using dynamic loudness.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Biggus,

Ramses nailed it.  In Our Home Hi-Fi, the ADI-2 DAC can easily be the Control Center of all.     Set Auto-Ref, and the ADI-2 DAC finds it's OWN optimal level.   Dynamic Loudness (set per the Manual Guidelines) is the Icing on the Cake.   

Enjoy, and Welcome to the Group.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

I hear you, but I still listen to LPs as much or more than CDs. I even switch on my tuner occasionally. Unplugging my preamp and plugging the DAC directly into my power amp when I go from an LP to a CD is an option, just not one I see myself doing. I'll give the DAC a good listen plugged into the power amp, but it will have to be way, way better than going through my preamp to go that route. Thanks for your responses.

In your case is of course far better to use your current preamp and to have ADI as a DAC with fixed output level only.

There is no real reason why to firmly stick with just one user / connection scenario with ADI unit.

6 (edited by ramses 2019-10-06 09:59:26)

Pitrs wrote:

In your case is of course far better to use your current preamp and to have ADI as a DAC with fixed output level only.

Do you recommend fixed output level on the ADI-2 DAC, because the HiFi preamp has a fixed reflevel on its input as well ?

I think it could still be very comfortably to use dynamic loudness, as the Preamps doesn't have something compareable
and then it might be an advantage to use Auto Ref Level to let the ADI-2 DAC find its optimum reference level automatically
for optimum SNR, taking also the EQing of dynamic Loudness into account.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Sometimes it is better to read the requirements than to repeat the mantra of the only connection scheme.
Also for many people from many different reasons dynamic loudnes is useless feature.

8 (edited by ramses 2019-10-06 13:24:24)

Pitrs wrote:

Sometimes it is better to read the requirements than to repeat the mantra of the only connection scheme.
Also for many people from many different reasons dynamic loudnes is useless feature.

I raised my question to you in a neutral way to give you room for explanation for your preference.

Are you willed and able to explain why or is confrontation all that you are looking for in this forum ?

And you got the answer.

Otherwise I am sorry, not interested in your personal offense off topics.

10 (edited by ramses 2019-10-06 15:25:33)

No there was no real answer from your side and my comment was simply a reaction based on your condescending posting.

If you would really not be interested in creating offenses, then you would simply behave accordingly.

But I am in the best of company, because even RME and Mr. Carstens are not safe from your outrageous comments, see this thread. https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 57#p145557

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8j1j6iw2r3khy4/2019-10-06%2016_23_33-loud%20clicks%20when%20changing%20between%20songs%20or%20powering%20on%20_%20off%20%28Seite%201%29%20-%20ADI-2%20P.jpg?dl=1

They're the best for me anyway, to instigate discord and then do one for innocent.

I didn't mean to cause a kerfuffle here. Never mind.

Biggus D. wrote:

I didn't mean to cause a kerfuffle here. Never mind.

Don't worry, you did nothing wrong.

13 (edited by Curt962 2019-10-07 00:21:39)

Biggus,

Perhaps in your setting, a Passive "switching" device that would allow you easily select your Phono Pre, OR the ADI-2 DAC on the fly would be useful.   You could have the best of both worlds that way.   ADI-2 DAC for all your Digital Media, and at the flip of a Switch...Your LPs, or Tuner via your existing Preamp output.   Voila!

BTW:  Really Cool you have a Tuner in the Mix.   I'd wager 90% of My Families Listening is done via DAB to our Local Classical Station,...or maybe a Pop Station in Germany, or UK.   Great Fun!      Internet Radio gets us out of our Audio Cocoons, and puts the World in your Listening Room.. etc.  Neat!!!   Try it!!

Happy Listening! 

Curt

14 (edited by Curt962 2019-10-07 00:38:16)

Oh Biggus...

Here's WHY those such as myself do NOT wish to disuade you from using the Dynamic Loudness Feature of your ADI-2 DAC.   It is predicated on this specific piece of research by Fletcher & Munson.  Thoroughly vetted research.  Well implemented by RME...perhaps for the FIRST time in any Audio Device.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Curt

I am also far from saying that loudness function is useless in general.

Still considering and respecting Biggus' setup, using ADI as a DAC only with fixed output seems to be the solution. Of course, it is possible to do it in reverse, leaving the volume on preamp set to some generally acceptable level and to control the volume by ADI. But it is not a good one. Why? Preamp is best operating with a specified input level (e.g. 2 V). With lower values, especially with significantly lower values, its sound becomes poluted by a distortion, noise, compressed dynamics. Audability of these is questionable, at least to some level, but still we want to get the best from our systems.

(ramses: If your off topic cry did help you to deal with your frustration, then ok. For sure it does not help Biggus in his thread which you pollute with anger and hate. My original post was purely factual, with no personal content or meaning. But you wanted to kick, so you did. Just because you are not able to accept other opinion than yours. Not entirely adult attitude.).

I think a traditional pre amp is no longer useful for many people, and it is just one more link in the chain, with potential for degrading the sound quality. If you want to connect multiple digital sources (like I do) you could use a digital switcher like this one: https://www.tindie.com/products/Beni_Sk … io-switch/ I use one to connect a BD player, a TV and the optical output of a Chromecast Audio streamer and it works great as long as the source that you do not use does not send a signal. Personally I have abandoned FM because I find internet radio provides a sound quality that is at least as good (it is not perfect, but neither is FM), and as Curt has said, it brings the world into your home. I use a Chromecast Audio's digital output to stream music and internet radio. I also still have a turntable, and I send its analogue output to a Project Optical Ebox phono pre amp with ADC for an optical output. This works very well (but not into the digital switch because it keeps sending a signal, so I send its output to the coax input of the ADI-2 using an optical to coax converter). And yes, I use the dynamic loudness feature. All in al I am extremely pleased with he sonic result and with the convenience. I have also added a master slave power strip to turn on and off the power amp etc. All I now need to do is turn on the ADI-2.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

Again, thanks to all for your responses. I'm going to start off running the ADI-2 through my preamp with a fixed output level of +7 dBu. When I have a handle on how things sound in that configuration, I'll plug the ADI-2 into my power amp and use it's preamp features, including dynamic loudness. If I find a strong preference using it as a preamp, obviously I will continue to do so.

I prefer to do my listening at robust levels so I'm not sure dynamic loudness will benefit me as much as someone who doesn't or can't.

With a good pre amplifier you may not be able to hear a difference. In my case, leaving out my old Quad 33 pre amplifier certainly improved the sound a bit, which is not surprising if you compare the measurements of the ADI-2 with the Quad 33. In addiiton, digital volume control is also much cleaner and more accurate than traditional analogue volume control, particularly at low levels.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

I use the adi2dac connected to the poweramp directly. Is it worth changing the outlevel level to +7 from the default +13 ? and then use the volume control ?
Or should I just leave it on +13db ?

Ash,

It WOULD be worth looking at...Let's say...Pg 37 of your User Manual to see the section regarding Auto-Ref.  smile

Auto-Ref eliminates the need for us to fret over calculations, and sets an optimal level for us.  Automatically!    The objective of this Wizardry is to the allow the ADI-2 DAC to achieve it's best S/N Ratio.   

Neat Stuff!

Curt

First, the ADI-2 DAC sounds noticeably better than the internal dac in my CD player. Kudos to MC and RME. The same could not be said for another brand of dac that I tried earlier, which was a big step down from just using my CD player.

I've tried the ADI-2 DAC through my preamp with a fixed output level of +7 dBu and the volume control locked, and both through the preamp and plugged directly into my power amp  with reference output level set to auto, volume control unlocked and dynamic loudness engaged. My preference is through the preamp with auto reference level. I can set my preamp volume control to a healthy level and use the DAC  volume control for adjustments. I couldn't be happier! Plugging directly into my power amp didn't improve the sound at all, to my ears. Your mileage may vary.

Big thanks to ramses for suggesting using the auto reference level.

I suppose I'll have to start experimenting with the different filters next.

You're welcome Biggus, enjoy your device wink