Topic: RME ADI-2 PRO FS as DAC, Pre-amp and active crossover

I am considering upgrading my Fireface 800 to the ADI-2 PRO FS and use it as:

(1) DAC with DSD playback
(2) Pre-amplifier with usb (asio), optical (spdif) and analog input (turntable)
(3) Two way active crossover with the built in DSP filter/equalizer.

A three-in-one scenario :-)

I was inspired by reading a review of the ADI-2 PRO:
https://www.hifizine.com/2018/07/rme-ad … -overview/
https://www.hifizine.com/2019/01/rme-ad … nal-modes/

I have looked in the manuals of both ADI-2 PRO FS and DAC for routing/mixing, but did not understand how it is working. So I hope the RME forum can help answer some questions.

(1) I have a stereo only setup. Can you playback multi-channel from the usb/pc and route/downmix it to the stereo analog outputs? If yes, is this possible in multi-channel mode only?

(2) Same question for the ADI-2 DAC. The manual says: "Use Configure Speakers to freely configure the stereo or multi-channel playback to any available channels". This sounds to me like routing/mixing?

(3) Same question for DSD: Is it possible to route/downmix DSD 5.1 to stereo and convert to analog output?

(4) Are other solutions available? Do standalone software mixers exist, which makes routing/mixing possible with ADI-2, like with RME Totalmix?

(5) As I understand the manual, its not possible to playback DSD128/256 in multi-channel mode, but only DSD64?

(6) Can you use the built in DSP filters as two way active stereo crossover? Are DSP filters/equalizers disabled during DSD playback?

(7) Can you switch between the usb/pc, spdif and analog inputs with the remote?

(8) Any experience with the quality of "DSD Native/DoP" vs. "DSD converted to PCM" playback in Foobar2000 or other software players?

Another scenario would be to just use the ADI-2 as DAC, but then I may not need the PRO FS and go with the ADI-2 DAC?

For several years I have used the Fireface 800 as DAC for my HTPC and Totalmix to downmix to stereo, including Foobar2000 (Asio), MPC-HC (Asio), as well as CD, TV and Bluetooth outputs -> optical remote switch -> FF800 optical spdif input.

This setup works very well. The FF800 is still stable like a rock after 12 years of daily operation :-)

This is why I want to go with another RME. The best and most reliable pro-audio hardware and software.

Thanks.

Rendboell

2 (edited by ramses 2019-10-06 13:45:50)

Re: RME ADI-2 PRO FS as DAC, Pre-amp and active crossover

As you seem to have still a fine FF800, why not simply adding the ADI-2 Pro to your existing setup ?
The same I do in front of a RME UFX+.

I think its the best combination to add ADI-2 Pro to a recording Interface with TotalMix FX support, as
- TotalMix FX offers you a lot of routing possibilities and
- you might have got FF800 to get some more input and output channels, so .. why not simply keeping them ?

Having a recording interface with TM FX support gives you also the opportunity, to integrate an ARC USB into the concept.
And then you still have TM FX and a lot of additional channels and opportunities.

See this blog article that I wrote for inspiration: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

BTW which Computer do you have ? Windows or Mac ?
"Use Configure Speakers to freely configure" refers to the Apple section of the manual.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

> (1) I have a stereo only setup. Can you playback multi-channel from the usb/pc and route/downmix it to the stereo analog outputs? If yes, is this possible in multi-channel mode only?

It is not possible. You need to do the downmix in the computer, sending a stereo signal.

> (2) Same question for the ADI-2 DAC. The manual says: "Use Configure Speakers to freely configure the stereo or multi-channel playback to any available channels". This sounds to me like routing/mixing?

Only 2 channels are available here. This chapter is the same in all manuals...

> (3) Same question for DSD: Is it possible to route/downmix DSD 5.1 to stereo and convert to analog output?

No.

> (5) As I understand the manual, its not possible to playback DSD128/256 in multi-channel mode, but only DSD64?

Correct.

> (6) Can you use the built in DSP filters as two way active stereo crossover?

Basically yes, but it is not optimized for that and has practival limitations.

> Are DSP filters/equalizers disabled during DSD playback?

Yes.

> (7) Can you switch between the usb/pc, spdif and analog inputs with the remote?

Only the Pro has analog inputs, but no remote.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,

Thanks for your answers :-)

So I can use the ADI-2 PRO FS as dac and pre-amp, but have to do all the routing/mixing in the computer.

In searching for alternatives I came across the RME MADIface XT, which includes Totalmix FX and Remote, but without DSD support.

Does MADIface XT match ADI-2 PRO FS / DAC in terms of quality of Pre-amp, DSP/EQ and DA converter?

Ramses,

Thanks for the inspiration, nice setup you have. I have a PC setup and might want to go your way :-)

Can you mix and pass-through DSD DoP in Totalmix (with FF800)?

Thanks.

Rendboell

5 (edited by ramses 2019-10-08 20:59:15)

In regards to AD/DA quality

AKM AD/DA converter are unique feature of
- ADI-2 Pro FS/*
- ADI-2 FS and
- I think also the M-32 Pro AD and DA

Madiface XT is a 394 channel USB3 recording interface with 3 MADI buses, TotalMix FX, ...

Maybe MC could kindly confirm, whether this is correct:
I read that DoP is possible on SPDIF and AES but only at DSD64 rate.
DSD rate is then limited by max. PCM rate of these transports, which is 192k.

In regards to my article, integration of ADI-2 Pro/* into recording environment:
you can keep the ADI-2 Pro/* connected via USB, if you need DSD playback, then simply playback via USB.
For mixing and mastering route through the FF800 or whatever interface.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello,

Please answer, when connecting the ADI-2 PRO FS to the Fireface 800, do both devices connect to a USB / FFireWire computer or just one of them? I ask this because I cannot make a FireWare connection to the Fireface 800 with my new motherboard on Win10.

Such a setup without Firewire for the FF800 makes no sense.

Makes sense
Computer ----- Recording Interface with TM FX ---- ADI-2 Pro

Makes no sense
Computer ----- ADI-2 Pro ------ Recording Interface with TM FX

8 (edited by Rendboell 2020-05-10 20:31:36)

Get a firewire pci or pci-express card.

I use this card, which has both firewire 400 and 800:

Lycom TI chipset FireWire 800/400 PCIe Adaptor Card with chipset: TI XIO2213

www.lycom.com.tw/PE107.htm

Get a Texas Instruments / TI chipset based card, but avoid TI XIO2200A and TI XIO2200B and other types of firewire cards.

They may not work.

For stability reasons, I use the Microsoft legacy firewire driver:

https://www.studio1productions.com/down … Driver.msi

https://download.microsoft.com/download … Driver.msi

Installation instructions:

https://www.studio1productions.com/Arti … wire-1.htm