1 (edited by cmcmurphy22 2019-10-09 22:47:23)

Topic: Quad 405 amp matching?

Need some basic help. I’m pretty new to the technical aspects of Hifi gear and am wondering what I would do on my adi-2 as dac/pre to mate it to the quad 405?
The input sensitivity on the quad is 0.5v

I still don’t fully understand what all this stuff means so appreciate the help.

2 (edited by jiw 2019-10-09 23:25:41)

Re: Quad 405 amp matching?

If you haven't already, try reading this thread: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27767

Thanks!!

4 (edited by Curt962 2019-10-10 02:18:34)

Jiw...Thanks for Posting that Link.   That was a Fun Thread, and more than a few walked away very pleased with their Set Ups.

Cmcmurphy...Welcome to the Group!!

The Quad Gear did exhibit some curiously high sensitivties, and I believe that was Peter Walker's way of attempting to ensure an ALL QUAD signal chain....  smile

*Designed Incompatability wasn't invented by Apple...  smile smile

Anyway...it is entirely possible to achieve fine results with your Amp.   Review that Thread, and perhaps plan on adding In-Line attenuators to get 'er Clickin' just right!

All the Best!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

5 (edited by willem 2019-10-11 10:15:05)

The 0.5 Volt sensitivity is an older European standard that Quad adhered to for longer than other brands. These days, with 2 Volt as the Redbook CD output standard, it is effectively obsolete, but easily dealt with. We have something similar and more problematic with analogue pre amplifier inputs. Many of those are far more sensitive than the modern 2 Volt standard of CD players and many DACs. The result is that - depending on the input circuitry - you can get clipping on these inputs (the Naim sound). It was not for nothing that at the time of CD's introduction, Quad introduced a special low sensitivity input board for its pre-amplifiers to match the hot ouput of CD.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema