1 (edited by Loueasy 2019-10-31 17:18:34)

Topic: Adi-2 Pro FS with Babyface or standalone.

I currently have a Fireface UFX II, Adi-2 Pro FS, ARC USB and Babyface Pro.  My DAW is Studio One 4 Pro and I also have Focal Shape 65 monitors, two sets of nice headphones, a cheap set of monitors as well as a very good two channel mic pre.
Because I really don’t have the need for all the in/outs of the UFX II, I am seriously considering selling the UFX and paring down to basically two very good channels.

What I am looking to do is use the Babyface driver (fireface driver) connect the Adi-2 via ADAT.  I can connect the ARC USB to my computer via usb. I will connect my main monitors to the Adi-2 out and the cheap set of monitors to the babyface and configure with Totalmix using the ARC USB and the monitor controller.  I can then connect my mic pre to the Adi-2 for that conversion.  I will be able to utilize Totalmix with this setup.

The other setup would be to just use the Adi-2 as a 2in and 2out interface using the Adi-2 driver (madiface driver).  Connect the preamp and one set of monitors.  Use the DAW for control and headphone mixes.  Studio one does have low latency monitoring its just not as robust as Totalmix.

Questions:

1)    How well do you think the first Babyface setup will work?
2)    Is there any benefit using the Madiface driver over the Fireface driver in most applications.

Thanks

J

2 (edited by ramses 2019-10-31 21:10:20)

Re: Adi-2 Pro FS with Babyface or standalone.

I would keep the UFX II. Better analog section, more flexibility and DURec.
Fireface USB driver allows min ASIO buffer size of 48.
MADIface USB driver allows min ASIO buffer size of 32.

If you use ADI-2 Pro FS and UFX II, then you can access both devices by the same ASIO driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses, 

I decided to keep the UFX II and I appreciate your suggestion.  I have connected the Adi-2 in basic mode AD/DA but I do have a question.

I wanted to use the external input on the Arc Usb for audio from my computer so I connected the Adi-2 to the UFX via ADAT.  I was then able to connect the computer audio to the UFX via AES (Through a spdf/aes converter).  Everything is working fine through totalmix and Arc USB.

My question is what volume setting should I have on the Adi-2?  The volume control on the arc usb controls the UFX volume.  I have the adi-2 set on -3 (+24) and the volume for the UFX is between -30 and -20 which gets pretty loud.  I just didn't know if there was a preference.

Thanks again.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-11-12 08:39:09)

I control the volume with the ADI-2 Pro for Monitors and Phones, so the output on the recording interface is always at 0dB and I switch the two outputs also at the ADI-2 Pro. See my blog article for the setup: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

My Geithain RL906 Monitors have a volume knob which is turned down completely, still loud enough at "0dB".
On the ADI-2 Pro I use Autoreflevel ON and usually use it on average for daily use at -30 (+4dBU).
For recording and mastering up to -15. For easy listening for work at -40 - -50.
Loudness kicks in at -30 (Low Vol Ref set to -50) and below and reaches its maximum at -50. I use the default values.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13