Topic: Will there ever be an RME power amp?

I wondered if RME might ever develop a low distortion, low noise power amp to compliment the ADI-2 AD/DAC range.  Something like Benchmark’s AHB2 with balanced ins and a decent amount of clean power.  Or is the feeling that the market is saturated with power amps and many users are using active speakers, so it wouldn’t be worthwhile?

2 (edited by ramses 2019-11-03 13:16:50)

Re: Will there ever be an RME power amp?

I would assume that this is not the typical market for RME.

A very well designed DAC/Preamp/Phones Amp (amd Format Converter with SRC) in this quality and the well-known unique selling points can be used everywhere, no matter if in the studio or in the HiFi area. In many cases this has reduced the number of devices in the signal chain and improved the sound.

In the studio, you're more likely to be dealing with active monitors. With the exception of the large studios, which also use passive speakers (B&W, etc.) as Reference Speakers for customers who demand it. But there, as well as in the HiFi area, other brands may already be set.

Also demands and tastes are very different: tube, Class-A, mono blocks, integrated amplifiers (or not), ..

I wouldn't be so sure if there is a market for RME Power Amps and whether it would pay off for RME to bring a poweramp onto the market and to compete with a lot of other companies.

In the area of DACs / AD/DA converter its different. There is currently no other manufacturer able to deliver this quality to this price with these features.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Shockdoc 2019-11-03 18:53:25)

Hi,
It would be great. Something around 2-3 K € would be great. Powerfull , silent , no  woodo. But would the power of the marketplace allow it ?
I would be the first to buy it

J. L

I do run my vintage Electro Voice Sentry III
with not much younger UREI JBL 6260 and ADI 2 DAC as pre. It's a real " modern digital meets vintage studio gear situation " for me.
My another ADI 2 DAC works as pre for QUAD 520 ( or sometimes Radford STA Renaissance) driving  B&W ss 30 in TV room.
I love all this sound but vintage gear is loud
I would like a power amp with RME " purity" and honesty.

J. L

Try one of the Hypex Ncore based offerings. I think they are the perfect match.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

willem wrote:

That's what I'm considering, moving from active to passive for weight reasons. Need to hang four speakers on location. Active is too heavy.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

7 (edited by Curt962 2019-11-15 17:08:27)

I am quite satisfied with RME maintaining it's Focus upon Cutting Edge Digital Solutions for the Professional Audio World. 

High Power/Low Distortion Power Amps have been amongst us for decades.   Investing into an already Overcrowded "Hi-Fi Amp" Marketplace would NOT be part of my Business Objective.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

willem wrote:

Yep... I'm using my RME ADI-2 DAC with self-built Hypex Ncore NC400 monoblocks and very happy with the setup.

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

Does anyone have any experience of how the Hypex NC400 amps compare to the Benchmark AHB2?  I see Audio Science Review rates the Benchmark as the best-measuring amp, with the NC400 not far behind.  Does that mean they'll sound pretty much the same?  Anyone heard both?

10 (edited by AJF 2019-12-09 17:57:30)

Tastes are very different... look for a used LINN MAJIK from 2006+ with 50 Watt or so. They are playing louder as you think and the sound is really impressive. Or take a LINN AKURATE for more power and even more details in music.

They are staying very cool so you don't have to deal with dry capacitors.

Both you can get very cheap and in good condition.