1 (edited by Ash Rothschild 2019-11-10 18:27:44)

Topic: Fireface UFX+ Firmware & Drivers question

Hi all.

I have been using my UFX+ via Thunderbolt for Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with latest updates. I have flashed the firmware on it & have the latest drivers & all was well. But recently my Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt card has failed & my ASUS Thunderbolt card had also failed before I bought the Gigabyte card, not good.

So while I wait for my new Thunderbolt card replacement, I thought I'll just use the USB 3.0 port for now. I downloaded & installed the latest USB driver version 0.9685, reset my PC, plugged in my UFX+ using USB (with the included brand new USB 3.0 cable which came with my UFX+) & expected a smooth detection but for some reason Windows is not recognizing my UFX+.

In my Device Manager Windows detects that something is plugged into the USB but does not know what it is. I have tried USB ports 3.1, 3.0 & even 2.0 all with the same result of not working. So a few questions please just to confirm a few things.

If I have previously flashed my UFX+ firmware with "fut_tb_win.zip" from the Thunderbolt section & now I want to use USB, should I be flashing my firmware with the "fut_madifacenet_win.zip" files found in the USB section also??
Both the Thunderbolt AND USB firmware section say "Update to firmware revision UFX+: TB 102, DSP 42, USB 50" but have different release dates & name.

Common sense tells me no I don't need both seeing how they both show the same versions of "TB 102, DSP 42, USB 50" but just got curious because the filenames & release dates are different to each other.

My 2nd question is if I have already installed Thunderbolt drivers version 1.16, is it ok to leave them installed & ALSO install the USB drivers 0.9685 at the same time ??  Or am I supposed to uninstall the Thunderbolt drivers & only install the USB drivers if I plan on using USB for now??

Appreciate your time, thank you,
Ash.

Re: Fireface UFX+ Firmware & Drivers question

No need to do anything complicated. The detection problem might get solved by changing the Interface Mode from Auto to USB 3 (manual page 11). Right now it seems to select Class Compliant mode when detecting USB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Ash Rothschild 2019-11-11 05:28:10)

MC thank you for your reply.

I will do as you suggested as soon as I get home. I'm new to the forums but I have been here enough times to know that you're a very busy man to not give more technical details & replies when you feel there is no need to explain in more detail the technical side of things when not needed so please don't feel obliged to reply with more detail & specifically answer my questions. & I am truly not being sarcastic, I know you have helped people here NUMEROUS times to fully solve their problems & you do more than enough here, MUCH appreciated. In fact everytime my brothers want to know something specific & why something in particular is happening they say "Just ask brother Matthias from RME" which I usually reply with "Let me triple check my UFX+ user manual". So you have a bit of a fan club here.

It's just some of us such as myself REALLY like to get into the details of why something specific is happening so I'd like if someone else can give you more spare time by replying to my specific questions.

1. If I have previously flashed my UFX+ firmware with "fut_tb_win.zip" from the Thunderbolt section & now I want to use USB, should I be flashing my firmware with the "fut_madifacenet_win.zip" files found in the USB section also??
Both the Thunderbolt AND USB firmware section say "Update to firmware revision UFX+: TB 102, DSP 42, USB 50" but have different release dates & name.

2. If I have already installed Thunderbolt drivers version 1.16, is it ok to leave them installed & ALSO install the USB drivers 0.9685 at the same time ??  Or am I supposed to uninstall the Thunderbolt drivers & only install the USB drivers if I plan on using USB for now??

Thank you all for your time.

1. No need to flash again. They have been compiled at different dates but include the same code if the umbers match.

2. All drivers can stay installed, no matter what you use.

Greetings to the fan club wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ahhh Matthias you've done it again. Fan club sends their regards smile

Went home & changed my UFX+ to USB & boom! Straight away worked! Thank you so much. It was set on TB, I have only ever changed it once when I very first set it up & just completely forgot there was even such a setting & is why I didn't check the manual or settings. First time I'm using USB until my TB replacement comes. I'm ashamed in myself for not referring to the manual this time.

Ok excellent I'll have both USB & Thunderbolt drivers installed ready for either one of them ready to plug into & thank you for confirming they are the same firmware with different release dates.

Cheerz Matthias!

Ahhh Matthias you've done it again. Fan club sends their regards smile

Went home & changed my UFX+ to USB & boom! Straight away worked! Thank you so much. It was set on TB, I have only ever changed it once when I very first set it up & just completely forgot there was even such a setting & is why I didn't check the manual or settings. First time I'm using USB until my TB replacement comes. I'm ashamed in myself for not referring to the manual this time.

Ok excellent I'll have both USB & Thunderbolt drivers installed ready for either one of them ready to plug into & thank you for confirming they are the same firmware with different release dates.

Cheerz Matthias!