Topic: ADI-2 DAC hardware difference?

I purchased my lovely rme adi-2 dac one year ago. Connecting with my mac mini, it works perfectly every time.
As I know, the DAC chip inside my adi-2 should be AKM 4490. I browsed relating information online, Both head-fi and audiosciencereview indicate that is 4490 as well.

However. I have check adi-2's product detail page here: https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html
From the paragraph "Improving DA" I see "The updated ADI-2 DAC uses AKM's AK4493"
I also see the image of remote control that put on the same page has more buttons than mine.

Therefore, I am curious now and have a question to ask:
Besides updating akm 4490 to 4493, is there any other more hardware change or enhancement between new and old adi-2 dac model?

Thanks

Re: ADI-2 DAC hardware difference?

I am also wondering about this topic and want to learn information from producers that is there any substantial 'hearable' difference between the old and new version.

I read that a new filter, whose name is low dispersion, will come to unit. Also, AK4493 will be used instead of AK4490 and a new remote will be introduced with the unit.

3 (edited by N00b 2019-11-13 15:59:37)

sysyphos wrote:

I am also wondering about this topic and want to learn information from producers that is there any substantial 'hearable' difference between the old and new version.

I read that a new filter, whose name is low dispersion, will come to unit. Also, AK4493 will be used instead of AK4490 and a new remote will be introduced with the unit.

From what I've red, the new DAC chip allows this new SD LD filter (a very good compromise between latency, phase linearity and HF attenuation) and a best SNR (123 dB in XLR vs 120 dB for the first version).
The new version has also a little more headroom.

You have the differences between the units in the RME product page:

The updated ADI-2 DAC uses AKM's AK4493 in a special circuit variant developed by RME engineers that allows the chip to perform at its best. With noise levels of 123 dBA, distortion less than -120 dB, or THD+N of -117 dB, the device delivers outstanding measured values. Even the IEM output, with -118 dBu already the world's lowest noise headphone output, improves to a sensational -120 dBu. In addition, there is 4 dB of digital headroom, so that even high intersample peaks do not produce any audible distortion. Finally, the device now also offers a clear reserve in volume setting. +2.5 dB result in a still undistorted analog output signal.

And of course the improved remote.

It's good news of course, but nothing really "hearable"... Or very subtle... I've tried to compare by ear the filters, very hard to notice...

If you are about to purchase a new unit, of course buy the improved version. If you have the first version, I don't think the investment will really improve your listening experience. wink

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

I do not know how much of a difference the new DAC chip will make, but the specs of AK4493 are higher than those of AK4490. I do believe that the "heard" differences in a home environment would be minimal if not non-existing. After all, the original ADI 2 DAC is such a natural-musical device with minimal character voicing and extremely low noise.
The only thing I do envy is the new remote....
I wonder how much does it cost.

5 (edited by seaharp1 2019-11-15 02:49:38)

When was the new version dac with  AK4493 released?

Thanks

6 (edited by ramses 2019-11-15 07:31:25)

Some people just noticed it a couple of days before, but I am not sure when devices will be available.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by Olli 2019-11-15 15:43:14)

The „Big T‘s“ online shop already lists it and claims immediate availability from stock ;-)
Status from a minute ago...

RME ADI2-DAC FS | Intel NUC8i7
Rotel RB1582 MKII amp
Infinity Kappa 8.2i speakers
Audirvana player

8 (edited by Curt962 2019-11-15 14:56:56)

My "Vintage" (11mos old) ADI-2 DAC was already an Over-Achiever with Noise, and Distortion far below Audibility, and virtually undetectable by Lab Test Gear.

I just want the Cool New Remote!!  smile   

It's an accessory item, and as soon as it shows up at Sweetwater here in the US, it's MINE!! 

Very Happy RME Owner!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

seaharp1 wrote:

When was the new version dac with  AK4493 released?

Thanks

The public announcement was made 11/11.

Does the new AK4493 accepts DSD512 ??
AK4490 can only accept DSD256..

The ADI-2 DAC can not handle DSD512 due to internal limitations.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Shikyo 2019-11-18 21:56:17)

Can you buy the new remote separately? Would it work with the "old" version?

EDIT: Nevermind, read first and then ask questions...Seems to be possible. Now to find said remote.

13 (edited by ramses 2019-11-18 22:11:59)

Shikyo wrote:

Can you buy the new remote separately? Would it work with the "old" version?

EDIT: Nevermind, read first and then ask questions...Seems to be possible. Now to find said remote.

Yes. From the product page on RME webserver:

"Note for owners of the previous remote: the new MRC is also available separately as an accessory. It can be used with all ADI-2 DACs, even older ones, if they are equipped with the latest firmware (at least version FPGA 27, DSP 33)."

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13