Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS is stuck on 44.1K HZ

Via the volume mixer on Windows 10 in the advanced tab, I am unable to go beyond 24 bit 44.1K HZ. I am on the latest driver and firmware for the ADI-2 DAC, and in the past I had no issues going beyond this rate. Is there something I have to adjust via the unit's various menus? I'm connected via USB and my windows is up to date. Trying different usb ports yields the same results.

I did purchase this from Sweetwater and it was a demo model, so I'm not sure if there's something they did either. Any assistance will make me very grateful.

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS is stuck on 44.1K HZ

If you saw more than one sample rate then you did not have the drivers installed. In CC mode (without driver) you see all sample rates, but have no ASIO, can't use DIGICheck and can't perform firmware updates.

See here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 81#p135881

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by joshuayuek 2019-11-14 18:03:37)

I went with the MADIface 09685 driver and I cannot for the life of me locate it on the system tray like I did in the past. Is this due to recent Windows 10 updates?

EDIT: I did restart my PC and I updated the firmware to .33 on the ADI-2 DAC; I am not able to go above beyond 44.1k HZ. Should I be looking for an older driver perhaps?

As already explained by Matthias, this is absolutely normal when using the MADIface ASIO driver!

The "Advanced" tab you mentioned above will always show just the native sample rate of the currently played back track. That also means that if no application is running which is currently actively using the ASIO driver, the "Advanced" tab will show somehing like "The device you try to configure has been removed". By the way: Have you ever noticed the "MADIface Series Settings" behind the "burning" RME Symbol in the System Tray? There you can also see, which sample rate is the current one (depending on the current tracks sample rate). Give it a try and don't worry... everything is like it is intended to be. If you want to use the USB Class Compliant mode, you will have to remove the MADIface driver and then you can change the sample rates again...but you also lose the ASIO functionality. That is you allow Windows to "manipulate" the audiostream. Most users (including myself) don't want to see that happen but want a bit perfect, transparent playback of the original!

If you expect to be able to introduce any up/downsampling -> This is is not supported by the driver and to be honest it makes no sense at all. If you still want to have it for any reason, you will need an application that will up- or downsample the track before it "enters" the driver.

Have fun!

Cheers
Olli

RME ADI2-DAC FS | Intel NUC8i7
Rotel RB1582 MKII amp
Infinity Kappa 8.2i speakers
Audirvana player

Thanks so much for all your help. I should have looked more closely at the thread Matthias posted.

Olli wrote:

If you expect to be able to introduce any up/downsampling -> This is is not supported by the driver and to be honest it makes no sense at all. If you still want to have it for any reason, you will need an application that will up- or downsample the track before it "enters" the driver.
i

If you need a different product with a SRC (Sample Rate Converter) -> ADI-2 Pro FS,
but then no remote control / IEM phones output
instead of this briefly: +SRC, +AES, +2nd normal phones output, +Analog Input

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Recently bought the RME ADI-2 FS. Also stuck at 44.1. Have MADIFace driver installed. Can you explain to me like I am 5 years old how to fix it so that it auto adjusts based on the bitrate of the song? Thanks!

AdmiralF wrote:

Recently bought the RME ADI-2 FS. Also stuck at 44.1. ...

• Which operating system do you use?

• Which audio player software do you use?

On quick answer:

• Use an audio player software that supports ASIO

• Chose >ASIO: ASIO Madiface USB< as Output Device there

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

Thanks for getting back to me! I am using Windows 10 w/ Tidal. Could also switch to Amazon or Spotify or another if needed...

10 (edited by rawac 2021-01-31 18:14:57)

Have yo read this thread: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30579? Post number 9 might be a good way to solve the problem, if you have no coaxial output (SPDIF) at your computer.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

11 (edited by rdfornasero 2021-01-31 19:33:43)

AdmiralF wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me! I am using Windows 10 w/ Tidal. Could also switch to Amazon or Spotify or another if needed...

Recommend switching to qobuz. The qobuz Windows desktop app supports ASIO. qobuz also offers true lossless CD quality and hi-res FLAC files and is $5.00 per month cheaper (depending on your location).

Tidal's MQA files are lossy, require special hardware to fully decode and Tidal's desktop app is not bit perfect with the RME DAC via USB. Tidal is also in the process of batch converting their 16/44.1 CD quality FLAC files to lossy 13/44.1 MQA CD.

AFAIK, the only ways to get Amazon Music HD bit perfect is with a BluOS (Bluesound or NAD), DTS Play-Fi or HEOS device.

Thank you for your help! I would use the RME driver (not windows) for Qobuz, correct?

AdmiralF wrote:

Thank you for your help! I would use the RME driver (not windows) for Qobuz, correct?

Yes, that's correct.

Actually, Qobuz works perfectly for me using Windows WASAPI. No need to install any additional software from RME or anyone, for me. (Latest W10)

Another reason to avoid Tidal is that so many people are confused about how to set up and use MQA. MQA is such a faff for so many people. Qobuz is a company which offers very nearly the same as Tidal, and in some ways more (classical), with complete simplicity, for similar or less money.  (I am increasingly puzzled as to why anyone would choose Tidal.)

Yes, Qobuz working well. I can use either Wasapi Exclusive or ASIO USB - both actually sound the same to me. Unfortunately have found artists that they Qobuz doesnt have though (that Tidal, Amazon, and Spotify do). My main gripe with Tidal is that it cuts out the first 5 seconds of every song when listening continuously (not selecting each individual song).

Good to hear! Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, both WASAPI Exclusive and ASIO should sound identical.

Yes, Tidal has some releases which Qobuz doesn't have, and vice versa. Generally, Tidal has a few more than Qobuz (perhaps 10% more?) but in my experience, with eclectic taste in music, it's only about once per month that I find something I would like to hear, but which is not on Qobuz. So in practice ...

Hi all,
I'm having same problem here - my Win10 machine stuck at 44.1
Driver Madiface installed. Test bit-perfect (USB) failed.

I never knew that problem with Win10 until today when I was trying to perform bit-test.  I normally play music from NUC mini-PC with Roon - ROCK on board and there is no problem at all. On my NUC machine all the bit tests passed.

Not a problem for me because I don't use Windows for music. But I'm curious what causes above.

Do I need to do some extra settings on my Win10 machine to achieve bit-perfect stream?
Can anybody explain me please.

Siemak wrote:

Hi all,
I'm having same problem here - my Win10 machine stuck at 44.1
Driver Madiface installed. Test bit-perfect (USB) failed.

I never knew that problem with Win10 until today when I was trying to perform bit-test.  I normally play music from NUC mini-PC with Roon - ROCK on board and there is no problem at all. On my NUC machine all the bit tests passed.

Not a problem for me because I don't use Windows for music. But I'm curious what causes above.

Do I need to do some extra settings on my Win10 machine to achieve bit-perfect stream?
Can anybody explain me please.

It is usually due to the music player app not having ASIO or WASAPI exclusive mode support. The Windows mixer is resampling the signal to whatever bit depth and sample rate is selected under shared mode in the Windows sound settings.

Quick update 6 weeks later. After many hours of listening to Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, and Amazon its clear that Qobuz (ASIO thru USB) clearly sounds significantly (surprisingly!) better than the others. Thanks for the heads-up on this. Using Empyreans with EQ from Oratory1990 for the ADI-2 FS. Awesome!