Topic: What to add now?

One of the primary joys of the Hi-Fi hobby to me is finding new ways to improve my system... new technology to test, and I relish even a moderate improvement in sound. Right now, I'm kind of stuck. I've put a lot into my system, and it's really great (IMO). However, I'd like to add another upgrade, but I don't know what to get. I'd be interested in suggestions for something I'm not thinking of. Here is what I have so far:

Hedd Type 20 speakers (very, very highly recommended -- compared w/ Genelec 8341s and these won on sound quality)
RME ADI2 Dac
Adam Sub8 (will likely be getting Hedd's subs when they come out)
Cables: DH Labs Air Matrix, Power Plus, and USB Mirage (don't want to get into a cable debate)

I have tried numerous "power conditioner" type products such as PS Audios Dectet and some Furman stuff. I've always found these to have a negative effect on sound quality.

I am pretty limited in what I can do for room treatment (needs to be aesthetic) and really only might add some wall paneling someday. I have furniture and plants etc. that probably provide some benefit.

Anything else I could try I'm not thinking of?

2 (edited by ramses 2019-12-21 11:14:21)

Re: What to add now?

There is not much to be changed in your setup because you have only few devices in the audio chain.

If you still have the feeling that the sound is still not ok then I see only two option's
- room optimization
- different monitors or combination of amp and passive speakers

If you only want little enhancement's / aka spend some money before Xmas:
You could ie evaluate the updated ADI-2 DAC with new AKM chip. The product page contains further informations what this brings to you:

https://www.rme-audio.de/de_adi-2-dac.html

The new remote will also work with your current product if you performed the last firmware update.

Further room treatment would have bigger effects.

I am currently in a similar situation like you, much more room treatment is not possible.
Maybe I will experiment a little with acoustic pictures on speaker and listener side.
But I have the luck that currently it sounds already good to my ears and the sound stage is very well.

Last week it brought already little improvement to change the HiFi furniture between the speakers. It's more compact now so that the speakers stand more separated. It's 15cm lower and 20cm smaller (from 2m to 1,8m).

Maybe this altered reflections in a positive way as the sound stage became a little more depth and sounded more defined. My wife and me came independed from each other to the same conclusion after enjoying the new setup after 2 evenings.

I personally estimate that the changes with different or more expensive D/A converters will be lower compared to
- better room treatment or
- to invest into an even better amp/speaker combination

If you are still looking for improvements and are not 100% satisfied, then either your room acoustic is very bad or you didn't evaluate closely enough whether other (potentially more expensive products) would have been more beneficial to please your ears more.

It could also be the case that neutral / monitors (as nice as it sounds to have linear monitors) is not fully compatible to your listening habits. You could either use the PEQ or make use of dynamic loudness to get a little bit more bass or treble into the setup and depending on volume.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-21 21:32:58)

Robert,

Random Upgrade-itis ?! Again??   Has this EVER worked for you??  Whatever.  To each his own.  Surely, a few thousand MORE dollars thrown blindly at equipment is bound to do something!  Nevermind how Webster defined insanity...THIS TIME IT'S GONNA WORK!!  smile:)  Man,    I wish I was your audio pusher...Id be a Millionaire!  smile

In addition to your Cable Collection, you could list such Audio Refinements as Shakti Stones.  Rare Earth Wall Outlet Covers,  Audio Grade Window Cleaner, and Magic Pebbles!!

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina5.htm

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

4 (edited by Robertm394 2019-12-21 22:03:20)

Curt962 wrote:

Robert,

Random Upgrade-itis ?! Again??   Has this EVER worked for you??  Whatever.  To each his own.  Surely, a few thousand MORE dollars thrown blindly at equipment is bound to do something!  Nevermind how Webster defined insanity...THIS TIME IT'S GONNA WORK!!  smile:)  Man,    I wish I was your audio pusher...Id be a Millionaire!  smile

In addition to your Cable Collection, you could list such Audio Refinements as Shakti Stones.  Rare Earth Wall Outlet Covers,  Audio Grade Window Cleaner, and Magic Pebbles!!

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina5.htm

Ahhh, more characteristically toxic posts on the RME forum.

Curt, I'm not sure what value you are attempting to offer on this thread but I suggest you find another one to uselessly crap on. By way of answering your point, most definitely, the Type 20s were a very substantial upgrade over the A7Xs, very worthwhile.

5 (edited by Robertm394 2019-12-22 03:26:00)

ramses wrote:

There is not much to be changed in your setup because you have only few devices in the audio chain.

If you still have the feeling that the sound is still not ok then I see only two option's
- room optimization
- different monitors or combination of amp and passive speakers

If you only want little enhancement's / aka spend some money before Xmas:
You could ie evaluate the updated ADI-2 DAC with new AKM chip. The product page contains further informations what this brings to you:

https://www.rme-audio.de/de_adi-2-dac.html

The new remote will also work with your current product if you performed the last firmware update.

Further room treatment would have bigger effects.

I am currently in a similar situation like you, much more room treatment is not possible.
Maybe I will experiment a little with acoustic pictures on speaker and listener side.
But I have the luck that currently it sounds already good to my ears and the sound stage is very well.

Last week it brought already little improvement to change the HiFi furniture between the speakers. It's more compact now so that the speakers stand more separated. It's 15cm lower and 20cm smaller (from 2m to 1,8m).

Maybe this altered reflections in a positive way as the sound stage became a little more depth and sounded more defined. My wife and me came independed from each other to the same conclusion after enjoying the new setup after 2 evenings.

I personally estimate that the changes with different or more expensive D/A converters will be lower compared to
- better room treatment or
- to invest into an even better amp/speaker combination

If you are still looking for improvements and are not 100% satisfied, then either your room acoustic is very bad or you didn't evaluate closely enough whether other (potentially more expensive products) would have been more beneficial to please your ears more.

It could also be the case that neutral / monitors (as nice as it sounds to have linear monitors) is not fully compatible to your listening habits. You could either use the PEQ or make use of dynamic loudness to get a little bit more bass or treble into the setup and depending on volume.

Thanks, this is exactly the type of post I was looking for. Note, it should not be taken from my post that I'm not satisfied with my setup. I actually think it sounds phenomenal IMO. I just enjoy the process of upgrading and seeing improvements, as part of this hobby.