Topic: Should I be listening to the Dac at +7db fixed Ref Level? Per manual?

This is from Audio Science Review forum: "[per] RME recommandations for Hi-fi usage: +7dBu at 0db, fixed. (1.73V). Or go by the 2V/4V standards, using +13dBu, -4,5db (2V/4.1V)."

This got me curious so I checked the manual and it says:

" With Hi-Fi the setting +7 dBu (equals +4.78 dBV or 1.73 V RMS) is recommended.
This setting causes an ADI-2 DAC to output level similar to that of many CD-players."\

I am using XLR. Should I turn Auto-Ref off then and stick with a fixed 7+ DB setting for Ref level? What would be the advantage/disadvantage to doing this vs. using Auto-Ref?

Thanks

2 (edited by ramses 2019-12-22 00:22:11)

Re: Should I be listening to the Dac at +7db fixed Ref Level? Per manual?

As you have active monitors you are most likely using the ADI-2 DAC as peeamp and thus change the volume at the ADI-2 DAC, right ?!

Then it makes sense to use auto ref level so that the ADI-2 DAC's DA converter always works at the optimum reference level depending on which volume you choose.

Your active monitors are studio monitors and they will with no doubt accept even higher studio level's up to the max that the ADI-2 DAC can deliver.

The fix settings at lower reference level makes sense if you connect the ADI-2 DAC to a typical analog premap which is designed for devices with more consumer level like CD player and if you change the volume then on the preamp.

But also preamps exist with balanced inputs and accepting higher levels and having a remote control ....

In your case where you use ADI-2 DAC as preamp in front of active studio monitors use auto reflevel.

In the case that this is too loud (much likely) and if your active monitors have no volume poti or a switch to make them less sensitive..
Then you need something to dampen by -20 or -30 dB as described in the sticky thread about level mismatches.
Another way would be to set the lowest reference level fix on the ADI-2 DAC so that things do not become too loud...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Should I be listening to the Dac at +7db fixed Ref Level? Per manual?

Thanks. After some experimentation (with my active monitors) I have found Auto Ref to provide what I subjectively think is a better/clearer sound quality.