Topic: ADAT not working ? no signal, no LEDs on

Hi,
I never used ADAT on my fireface UC, I have configured TOTALMIX and can see something is supposed to go out through ADAT but on the device, no LEDs are on and no sound comes to my loudspeakers. What could I do / check ti see if it's a hadrware issue or miss-configuration ?
thanks for your help
Samuel

2 (edited by ramses 2019-12-22 13:47:34)

Re: ADAT not working ? no signal, no LEDs on

What device do you connect via ADAT?
Where are the speakers connected to ?
Set i.e. UC which is connected to the PC as clock master (clock source = internal) and the device which is connected via ADAT as clock slave (clock source = ADAT IN port).

The rest is simply a matter of routing on the UC to route any audio to the ADAT port which has 8 channels at 44.1/48 kHz sample rate.

If the connected device is a DAC with only 2 channel the you maybe need to change the protocol from ADAT to SPDIF.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, thanks very much for your help.
I'm connecting a DENON 10 channels amplifier on which I have 6 loudspeakers connected. I have 2 adat optical inputs but no possibilities to set clock source. Configuration on Fireface and Totalmix seems ok, I'm attaching the configuration I use to test the system by sending a sterezo file to all the outputs, maybe there's something wrong there…

sorry, I d'on't know how to send an image here…

Then uc needs to be clock slave.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

OK, thanks for your message.
Does that mean that I have to find a "clock out" from my amplifier to go in the UC ? I don't have any optical out or spdif output from my machine…

Monsieur Meus wrote:

Hi, thanks very much for your help.
I'm connecting a DENON 10 channels amplifier on which I have 6 loudspeakers connected. I have 2 adat optical inputs but no possibilities to set clock source. Configuration on Fireface and Totalmix seems ok, I'm attaching the configuration I use to test the system by sending a sterezo file to all the outputs, maybe there's something wrong there…

Hi!
Which Denon model is it?
FF needs to be Master, in this situation. If the Optical Inputs on the Denon are SPDIF, you would need to set ADAT Out on the FF settings as SPDIF. Else, leave it to ADAT.

If you want to paste images, you can upload them in Dropbox (or an equivalent service) and paste the link here!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Hifi amps are never adat but multichannel spdif. (like ac3 dts etc) but the FF does not send those formats only simple stereo spdif. Unless you play a video file with an AC3 or DTS stream. Then you can send that raw data to the spdif out (staill not adat).

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Was a misunderstanding from me.
The UC is clock master, the amp is clock slave, protocol is optical SPDIF.
UC -> clock source internal and proto = SPDIF

Hi,
thanks for your help.
But I don't understand what I should do to make this work : I have my UC connected to my amp with optical and Fireface settings set to clock internal… I tried all option possible (single speed yes or no) but do I have to connect something else ? I'm affraid the UC is broken somehow

Did you set on the UC side optical from "ADAT" to "SPDIF" ? See manual page 13 under "output format".

vinark wrote:

Hifi amps are never adat but multichannel spdif. (like ac3 dts etc) but the FF does not send those formats only simple stereo spdif. Unless you play a video file with an AC3 or DTS stream. Then you can send that raw data to the spdif out (staill not adat).

Thanks for the info, Vinark!
That is why I asked for the model, so I could research a bit! I was sure about SPDIF, but the 10 channels lead me to think about ADAT(8+2spdif).

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

ramses wrote:

Did you set on the UC side optical from "ADAT" to "SPDIF" ? See manual page 13 under "output format".

Hi, thanks for your messages, it's working ! Yes I didn't try this option since it looked strange to me to select spdif for adat out but now I understand. Thanks a lot ! (I still don't have any leds on the UC but I don't care if the sound is there).
best regards and merry Christmas !
Samuel

Hi,
again… Now that I have a bit more time to work on 6 channels output, I realize that I only have the 2 first channels spread on the 6 outputs I have. They are just duplicated ! My amplifier is set up correctly, I have my 6 loudspeakers independent but from my Totalmix window from channel 3 to 6 I'm supposed to have sound but nothing comes out. It's only working when I set the same 2 first channels on the other speackers. I don't know what to do, I spend so many hours on that !

So you are trying to play back a video with AC-3 sound through a player software that supports this? Or why you expect to have more than 2 channels available?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME