Topic: EQ setting, shelf?

Can someone explain what "shelf" is in the EQ section?. I finally found out that "cinch" is a RCA connector. But "shelf" has me lost.

Re: EQ setting, shelf?

When I google 'shelf EQ' I get tons of hits...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2020-01-05 12:06:42)

greyscale wrote:

Can someone explain what "shelf" is in the EQ section?. I finally found out that "cinch" is a RCA connector. But "shelf" has me lost.

Take a good Internet Browser like Firefox.
Mark a text (one or more words) like "cinch" and then right-click with the mouse.
You get a pop-up window with the very useful function "google search for <searchstring>".

Easier is not possible. Less time consuming compared to type a question into a forum
and then also having to wait and track, if somebody answers.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Curt962 2020-01-06 12:15:53)

Hi Greyscale!  Yours is a new name here.  Welcome!

How to explain...

"Shelf" is a type of filter that is evenly applied to a Range of Frequencies.    Think of a "Plateau" of sorts.    You'll note the Shelf Filters are only available in B1 and B5 of your PEQ.   This is because Shelving Filters have no real benefit in the Mid Freqs.

Check this out: 

https://www.homestudiocorner.com/filter-vs-shelf/

Fun Stuff Man!

Welcome Aboard!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt, Thank you for your non sarcastic reply. i will have a look at the link you provided.

6 (edited by Curt962 2020-01-06 19:02:52)

No Worries Grey!

Data searches can just be frustrating for all Parties involved.   Shelf Filters are a fine example. smile

I queried "Shelving Filters"    After sorting through a zillion totally non-audio related products..ie:  (Industrial Shelving!  Click Here!  A Salesman Will Call!)..I found a useful resource for you.   I hope it provides you with a better understanding.   

Best to You!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes