1 (edited by sapperlott 2020-01-08 19:50:48)

Topic: S/PDIF recording in Stereo CC-Mode

If I didn't miss some menu settings it seems that while the ADI-2 Pro FS is in CC-Mode Stereo, only analog inputs are available for recording through USB. Is there any way to select which input/output stereo pair will be used in Stereo mode or is the only way to record from S/PDIF input through Multichannel mode?

If such a setting doesn't exist today, might it be useful enough to be added in a future firmware release?

Also, is "Channel Status Display" in DIGICheck not supported for the ADI-2 Pro FS? I didn't get any output there while receiving audio data through S/PDIF in Multichannel mode.

EDIT:
One more thing I just remembered for the "stuff that could be implemented in a future firmware release" list. How about a special S/PDIF / AES debugging mode where a full subframe (minus preamble) can be sent/received in each 32bit sample? Sure, that wouldn't be usable without massaging the bits on the connected computer but getting access to the bitstream at such a low level might enable interesting applications.

Re: S/PDIF recording in Stereo CC-Mode

1. Using SPDIF In for record indeed requires Multichannel mode, and this will not change.

2. Channel Status Display is not available for technical reasons, the transmission of the additional data is not possible with the Class Compliant hardware concept that the ADIs are based on. As you can verify in the ADI manuals the function Channel Status Display is not  listed for DIGICheck.

3. Developers that need such information usually have access to specialized tools that do the job. We see no usefulness in using the small remaining and precious space in FPGA and DSP for such a feature.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: S/PDIF recording in Stereo CC-Mode

Thanks for the quick clarification!