Topic: Line Out again...sorry

Hi there,

i would like to know which the best setting for line out is when hooking up my av receiver with XLR. XLR is 6 db louder then RCA so what would "fixed output" be like?

Ref Level: +7dBu
Auto Ref Level: ON
Volume: -5.0 dBr
Lock Volume: ON

Is this correct or should i change something.
THX

2 (edited by ramses 2020-01-09 20:51:26)

Re: Line Out again...sorry

What device ? ADI-2 DAC / Pro have different output levels.
What AV receiver, what are the specs for it on its input where you connect the ADI to it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

the av receiver is the Yamaha RX-A3080. I have the new ADI 2 DAC witch AK4493

As your av receiver has so many inputs I would use an output volume on the ADI-2 DAC that matches all the other inputs esp digital inputs, so that you have no volume differences when switching input channels.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by maninthehighcastle 2020-01-09 22:49:28)

I want to use the XLR input of the AVR. Normally a lot of dacs just have fixed line out (2V?) but what setting on the ADI equals that for the XLR out?

Something to edit. If i set the Ref level to +7 it changes automatically to +13 after switching to lineout and back zo phones. i am confused...

Edit2: here is something from the yamaha manual:

"Selects whether to activate the attenuator for the balance input (AUDIO 4) so that you can avoid sound distortion when high-level signals are input.
Activate the attenuator when connecting an audio device which outputs signals of 3 V (RMS) or higher to the AUDIO 4 (XLR balanced input) jacks."

So i guess it's 3V there? What would be a good clean signal from the ADI DAC? which settings to use?

I assume your Amp has balanced line inputs. They usually allow higher (studio) input levels.
If you simply align the volume (what you hear) to the other inputs then all is fine.
Don't make things too complicated simply use it ...

maninthehighcastle wrote:

I want to use the XLR input of the AVR. Normally a lot of dacs just have fixed line out (2V?) but what setting on the ADI equals that for the XLR out?

Something to edit. If i set the Ref level to +7 it changes automatically to +13 after switching to lineout and back zo phones. i am confused...

Edit2: here is something from the yamaha manual:

"Selects whether to activate the attenuator for the balance input (AUDIO 4) so that you can avoid sound distortion when high-level signals are input.
Activate the attenuator when connecting an audio device which outputs signals of 3 V (RMS) or higher to the AUDIO 4 (XLR balanced input) jacks."

So i guess it's 3V there? What would be a good clean signal from the ADI DAC? which settings to use?

Hi there! Check the RME ADI 2 manual on page 62:

Which level setting is recommended?
There are a total of four hardware reference levels available, with the XLR output having a 6 dB higher level. With Hi-Fi the setting +7 dBu (equals +4.78 dBV or 1.73 V RMS) is recommended. This setting causes an ADI-2 DAC to output level similar to that of many CD-players. In case it is still too low simply change to +13 dBu (+10.8 dBV, 3.46 V RMS).

When I used to have an integrated amp, I set the DAC to a fixed +13 dBu output, with volume locked at 0 dB (+ 7dBu makes me go too high on the amp volume pot).

From what we can read on the Yamaha manual, I would go with + 7 dBu (or + 13 dBu with the attenuator activated on the Yamaha, but it seems to complicate the process for no reason).

And if you need to translate dBu in V RMS, this free online tool is very convenient:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

And don't forget that the XLR outputs of the RME ADI-2 DAC are 6 dB louder, so you must set +1 dBu in the menu to achieve + 7 dBu on the XLR output. wink

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

8 (edited by ramses 2020-01-10 00:11:59)

My fear is, that if on preamp level you bring all to the possible maximum, then finally it will simply be too loud in general and in comparison to other signals. I would simply choose the pragmatic way and use my ears to find a good level which works well and compare it to the level of other digital inputs.

This.

For the two other mentioned issues:

- Switch off AutoRef Level for the Main output

- Lock the volume

Both can be easily found in the pdf manual by searching for the keywords, or by just going into the I/O menu, Settings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Normally all other equipment i hooked up is out of the box at the same volume level. My CD Player, my phono stage etc. I thought there is a setting which equals normal hifi components line out.

If the ADI-2 DAC would work out of the box like any other HiFi device - why would you buy it? wink

As mentioned above the information on HiFi levels is found in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME