Topic: Mutec MC-3+ USB effect on RME Adi-2 dac

Hi there!

Since about half a year I own the RME Adi-2 dac and I really enjoy it. It's by far the best dac I have ever owned and I can imagine ever buying a new one. The sound is absolutely great in my hifi system and the price is great too.

So no upgrade on that part of the system I guess smile
But I've read some excellent reviews on the Mutec MC-3+ USB smart clock and I was wondering what your opnion is on adding this clock between my streamer (Innus) and RME dac.

Would this benefit the sound? Or is this impossible because of the good clock in the dac? I don't need to synchronize any other digital components.

This is my set-up:
Innuos Zen Mini streamer --> RME ADI-2 dac --> Unison Research S9 integrated single-ended tube amp --> Focal Sopra 1 speakers

Curious for your opinion on this one! Thanks,

Bart

Re: Mutec MC-3+ USB effect on RME Adi-2 dac

The ADI-2 DAC shows no difference between runing on internal and external clock. It's jitter suppression is very strong. Therefore adding the MC-3+ IMHO would not have any measurable nor audible effect.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

See here for a review of a similarly useless external clock: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … iew.11001/ These things are a waste of your money and great news for disreputable manufacturers.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

I have both the mutec and the adi2pro. Zero effect on sound quality. I am keeping the mutec just because I want to route the signal also to other devices.

MC wrote:

The ADI-2 DAC shows no difference between runing on internal and external clock. It's jitter suppression is very strong. Therefore adding the MC-3+ IMHO would not have any measurable nor audible effect.

Thanks Matthias. I've had the chance to add the Mutec to my system, between the source (streamer) and the Adi dac and although i do hear a difference it is really, really small. Cant tell what the cause of it is. Maybe the Mutec creates a bit more db or something?  But, it almost costs 1000,- and the change in sound is that small it would not justify the costs for me.