1 (edited by Laines 2020-01-13 16:24:52)

Topic: Split balanced XLR to multiple amps

Hello
first of all sorry for the I guess real beginner question, but I guess we all started at some point smile

The adi-2 dac has one pair of balanced XLR outputs. But I have two (maybe three soon) balanced amplifier with XLR inputs. How can I split the XLR signal to all those amps so I don't need to replug them all the time. Also is there any sound quality panelty?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2 (edited by valerii 2020-01-13 17:09:37)

Re: Split balanced XLR to multiple amps

Hi,

You need a passive switch box/controller, for example something like JBL M-Patch 2 (https://jblpro.com/products/m-patch-2)

There is something fishy going on with the M-Patch 2. According to the manual it doesn't work at all, because some graphics genius has drawn input and output XLRs where pins 2 and 3 are shorted. Also only a stereo pot is used, the whole unit works unbalanced internally.

Now pins 2 and 3 shorted maybe just an error but the unbalanced design made me check the web for photos of it inside. And indeed there is a 4 x pot as necessary to change volume in a balanced design. So the circuit diagram in the manual is total BS.

The unit can switch the input to an unbalanced source, using a simple stereo pot. How can the outputs then be balanced? It would require to short pins 3 of the XLR outputs to ground only in the Aux input mode to work at all, but there is nothing like this in the manual.

Finally the manual claims 'The JBL M-Patch 2 has an electronic circuitry inside as well as isolation transformers.'. I have no clue what they mean. The unit definitely does not have transformer-balanced inputs or outputs. The inner photos that I saw did not show any kind of transformer.

And as expected I did not find a single serious review that would clear all these questions...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That said I think the OP better searches for 'XLR splitter box' and finds something like this:

https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-1-Ausgan … B07QVKPR2V

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME